Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shudder when clutch engaged

Options
  • 16-10-2006 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an Audi A4 1.9tdi (04) .. recently I have noticed that the car shudders when I release the clutch to engage first. It seems to be worst when the car is cold .. any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sounds like your clutch is going. Seems very early, many miles on the clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

Only have 34,000 ... I would expect a clutch to last longer than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Should do 3 times that! Did anyone learn to drive in it, or do you use it for any towing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

You didn't have it on a beach recently? My Mams car used to drive perfectly, then I took it on the beach one day and ever since it's been shuddery at low speeds. Is it possible sand could have gotten between the plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Do you mean that it shudders when you engage the clutch (i.e. take your foot off the pedal) with the car in gear.

I have noticed this on several vehicles and have never heard a satisfactory explanation for what causes it. Search google groups for clutch + judder + cold and you will read all manner of opinions and theories on it. I wouldn't panic about it or start replacing parts unless it gets worse or you notice other symptoms (eg clutch slippage) The clutch in my Megane has been juddering like this for at least 6 years. Judders when cold, less noticable if more revs/less slip used. In any case it goes away completely after a few gearchanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

I am the second owner alright but the previous owner was a lady - she actually stopped me in a car park one day to say it was her car! :)

So to my knowledge it has never been used for some one to learn to drive and it has no towbar.

The shudder happens as I take my foot off the clutch pedal to engage first .. and after a few gear changes the problem goes away. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

BrianD3 wrote:
    I have noticed this on several vehicles and have never heard a satisfactory explanation for what causes it.

My mondeo did it a lot a couple of years ago. It cured itself and hasn't done it in about 30/40k miles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like contamination in the clutch. Oil perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

my cynos is doing that now as well...unfortunatley for me it COULD be that the clutch has had its day....we'll find out in time I guess!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

My astra has started to do this as well, its the cold damp whether. Check fluid and get it changed as well. Mositure gets into the clutch fluid after a number of years. I bet your car has never had the clutch fluid changed.

I put money on it tomorrow morning, leave the car running for five minutes before driving it and let the engine warm up and get the moisture out of the engine bay. you should notice an improvement.

I hate that, car judders when I engage clutch - response - might be a new clutch required, so many people so to a garage any get new parts when they dont need them.

PM Darragh29 the boards mechanic, he knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't think it is necessarily a clutch fluid issue as I have experienced judder on several cars which had cable operated clutches.

However there may be several different things that can cause clutch judder symptoms so I wouldn't rule out anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

Check that the doors arent loose at the hinges, my passat does the same thing, and i've sourced it to a loose passenger door. Only happens when the car is shuddering

Advertisement