Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Project

Options
  • 16-10-2006 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,

Have to do a final year project for college this year and am stuck trying to think of a good project. Just wondering if there are any of ye that might have an idea or two for a web based project?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Is it a dynamic or brochure site? ie is it static or does it work with a database. Just pick something youre interested in, you wont be graded on your topic, only on your ability to include everything they ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

social bookmarking is big at the minute
    video / mobile blogging is also big

i was going to do a Ticket Support system last year for my project that would allow a user to create a support ticket on a website and then it would alert them via a firefox plugin of when the ticket had being replied to. It's a bit far fetched but at least it would be fairly original.

Go for something original. No point in doing a online store or a music site or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

I did my first year project for a business http://www.vmobile.ie and got paid pretty well for it too. I got extra marks (distinction overall) because of a few things. We were not taught about using CSS for layout but I learned how while doing that particular site (if you look at the source you will see some of the pages are CSS based layout and others are tables). I also used some php while we were only taught HTML.

For what type of site you do I cannot advise but I would say to push as far as you can (but you probably know that anyway!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I took the same approach as obrienb. Did a simple enough app but in a language that we didn't learn in class. Lectures like to see you applying your own skills and researching new methods rather than regurgitating what you've been shown. The mini-projects throughout the year would have shown them what your able to do with regards to taught languages. The end-of-year project is all about you applying everything you've learned. Analytical skills and so on.

As ideas go, take a look at the inactive projects in sourceforge or freshmeat (your premise could be that you took an inactive project and brought it to life with new ideas blah blah). Or browse a freelance coders site for ideas. Browse the course pages of other colleges:

My original stomping ground

Advertisement