Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught at last

Options
  • 16-10-2006 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

A habitual drinker I know has been caught at last. He spent the day drinking a few weeks ago and was caught. I am just glad he was caught and didn't cause an accident. As far as I am aware he will get penalty points, a ban and a fine. The side affects are major insurance quotes for the rest of his life? Anyone here get a conviction, can anyone enlighten me on what he has to face?

(this is not a drink driving thread, I know what he did is wrong... no lectures please;) )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

If he PLEADS guilty he will get a year ban with ability to appeal the ban after 6months, will get two points and will be fined. if he is FOUND guilty he will get a longer ban and higher fine. it depends on the level of the alcohol in his system when the test was done on his breath/blood/urine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

The two points seems an odd little addition to the list of penalties, the same as a minor/small fine offence. Why not ten points and keep him on his toes for a few years after he gets back on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

If he PLEADS guilty he will get a year ban with ability to appeal the ban after 6months, will get two points and will be fined. if he is FOUND guilty he will get a longer ban and higher fine. it depends on the level of the alcohol in his system when the test was done on his breath/blood/urine.

Yup that about sums it up....I was sitting at the back of court today and most fines were 300-400 Yo-Yo mark with 12-24 mths off the road...and there was a good few seeking their licence back after 6 mths from same...
    The amount of DD cases was an eye opener...:(

Still all to the good, people like this need to be put off the road, hopefully they learn a lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭last_orders

my bro was caught aswell, stupid idiot refused to give a breathaliser on the spot so was tested in the station. dunno how much the fine was but he's off the road for 2 years, he was 7 times over the limit. thank god he was caught, he was so foolish for what he did and got his punishment fair and square.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's sad that it takes banning someone from driving to possibly see that drinking and driving don't go together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

It's sad that it takes banning someone from driving to possibly see that drinking and driving don't go together.

Old habits die hard, seems to be the case with most, others well, just plain stupid... and thick...
    Still everyone that's caught is one less to worry about...I hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

they dont test enarly enuf ppl tho...............

i was driving home on a saturday night at 3.30 in the morning(stone cold sober never drink any alcohol and drive) my mate was in the passenger seat drinking a bottle(cant remember what and it was alcohol and i know this is illegal) came to a check point my dance music was blaring so i turned it down garda came over to me i rolled down window i said hi and he said move along

I WAS A PRIME CANDIDATE FOR A RANDOM BREATHTEST and i barely got a second look needs to be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

PeakOutput wrote:

i was driving home on a saturday night at 3.30 in the morning(stone cold sober never drink any alcohol and drive) my mate was in the passenger seat drinking a bottle(cant remember what and it was alcohol and i know this is illegal) came to a check point my dance music was blaring so i turned it down garda came over to me i rolled down window i said hi and he said move along

I WAS A PRIME CANDIDATE FOR A RANDOM BREATHTEST and i barely got a second look needs to be sorted

Peak

They'd know by how you react, how lucid you are when speaking you probably looked like you wanted to be breathalysed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

nialler wrote:
    Peak

They'd know by how you react, how lucid you are when speaking you probably looked like you wanted to be breathalysed.

I'm sorry but there is no way a garda can be certain just by looking at you that you're not having a tiny bit too much to drink.

I honestly think that gardai should plant themselves on roads leaving towns and test every person that comes along and they should stay there from about 12 to 5. Traffic would not be that heavy at those hours so it would not cause too many tail backs

How long does it take to blow into one of the machines anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He should have tested you all right but he may have a a good idea you were okay.
    I also suspect that if you were tested there would be a post here bitching about it-so the guards can win all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

PeakOutput wrote:
    (stone cold sober never drink any alcohol and drive) my mate was in the passenger seat drinking a bottle(cant remember what and it was alcohol and i know this is illegal)

thats a US law i believe, your passengers can drink in ireland no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

lazygit wrote:
    thats a US law i believe, your passengers can drink in ireland no?

its defo a us law maybe i jsut assumed it was in ireland aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks Spitfire, I am pretty sure he will plead guilty...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

PeakOutput wrote:

An average of 3 people per hour are charged with drink-driving in the state. Last week over 400. And it's not even the "Christmas rush". That's 20,000 per annum by my reckoning. Note that the amount of people charged in 1st half of 06 is up 23% on last year. I'd say they are doing plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

****cough

if anyone suspects a person drink driving regularly they should report them , a simple anonymous letter to the Superintendent of the regional garda station with when/times he/she drinks and what car reg is suspected and I am sure it will be dealt with accordingly . usual a random checkpoint within 4 weeks and bingo another dangerous obstacle removed from the trip home.

get these idiots of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

tvr wrote:
    if anyone suspects a person drink driving regularly they should report them , a simple anonymous letter to the Superintendent of the regional garda station with when/times he/she drinks and what car reg is suspected and I am sure it will be dealt with accordingly .

Meh. Do that in rural Ireland and (perhaps rightfully) get ostracised for at least 10 years. I know one situation where a local shop assistant informed on a local mechanic she didn't like. He got caught, but his business took off, she lost her job becase of local resentment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

my bro was caught aswell, stupid idiot refused to give a breathaliser on the spot so was tested in the station. dunno how much the fine was but he's off the road for 2 years, he was 7 times over the limit. thank god he was caught, he was so foolish for what he did and got his punishment fair and square.

7 times over the limit! :eek:

I thought that much alcohol would cause coma, if not death :confused:

Maths - That'd be 8 x 80mg% = 640mg%. A fatal dose for some.

Advertisement