Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen design wishlist

• 16-10-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

We're extending our house and I'm in the lucky position of being able to plan a new kitchen from scratch. It won't be huge, but there's a lot of thought going into it! Does anyone have any reccommendations of what to do, what not to do, what to use?

Here's what I've come up with so far -
    • U-shape, with the sink opposite the cooker and a work surface at the end.
    • A dirty big cooker with a large and a small oven (but what make?)
    • Shelves rather than cupboards above the counter, for ease of access to ingredients
    • Lots of counter space around the cooker and sink
    • A dishwasher!
    • Pull-out drawers rather than cupboards - much easier access.
    • One of those cool magnetic knife racks
    • Lots of hooks for kitchen implements, pots and pans and so on. More interesting than everything being built-in and hidden
    • Lots of light, and lots of windows that can be opened
    • Not too much space between things - this is a one-person kitchen

Does anyone have any suggestions? Some of the kitchens you see in magazines and catalogues are huge and impractical - how do they get the boiling dishes from the glamorous oven on one wall to the snazzy island unit without scalding themselves?!

Anything you have in your kitchen which you wouldn't be without?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

you've covered the main things already space and storage try posting this over in gardening and diy, you would be amazed at the amount of advice and information you can get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

UB wrote:
    [*]Shelves rather than cupboards above the counter, for ease of access to ingredients
    [*]Lots of hooks for kitchen implements, pots and pans and so on. More interesting than everything being built-in and hidden

Just a note of caution regarding the above...
    While it's a good idea to have regularly-used ingredients easily to hand - some items such as spices are better kept in the dark.

Also, if you are hanging the pots & pans - do so away from the cooker/hob. You'll find that they'll get greasy & dirty very easily & you'll end up washing them before you cook with them.

As for what I'd go for myself:
    Lots of sockets
    Directional spot-lights over sink, cooker & counter top
    Shelves for cookery books & book stand
    Window box for herbs
    A sink that you can fit your largest pot into
    A fire extinguisher & fire blanket
    Suitable space for bins (compost, general, recyclables, etc.)
    Even more sockets
    A dedicated beer-fridge
    A pub-style bottle opener on the wall/counter next to your beer fridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

You're right about the spices and all needing to be in the dark - I might give them their own drawer, or a cupboard near the cooker. At the moment they're on a shelf, and looking a bit pale.

Speaking of storage, how many food cupboards or drawers is enough, and how many implement (pots, pans, dishes, etc etc) drawers? And which should be directly beside the cooker, food or equipment?

I reckon that, besides the fridge and a long shelf, a pull-out larder and maybe another set of deep drawers would do for food. Too much space, and things only start to go off because you buy too much. But then where do the potatoes go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

UB wrote:
    which should be directly beside the cooker, food or equipment?
    Equipment would be my preference. Between cooker & counter top/food prep area.
    UB wrote:
    But then where do the potatoes go?
    A portable vegetable rack?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

Re.
    Speaking of storage, how many food cupboards or drawers is enough, and how many implement (pots, pans, dishes, etc etc) drawers?

My approach to this one was to draw up an inventory of stuff that I currently have in my less than ideal kitchen (not much!!) plus the stuff I have shoved away on boxes with no place to put them (juicer, blender, Wedgewood glasses etc.) Then I worked out locations of appliances and how many base & wall cabinets I could fit in. From there I worked out where to put everything and found that I didn't have enough cabinets :eek: So then I was left with trying to get creative & that process isn't over yet. If you could fit a full height pull-out larder that'd be a great idea (I can't without losing too much workspace). Places for
    • rubbish (regular, recyclable, compost etc.),
    • pots & pans,
    • pyrex dishes, large bowls etc.
    • packaged food,
    • fresh food (like potatoes that won't go in fridge)
    • spices & sauces,
    • crockery/glasses etc.,
    • cutlery
    • utensils & gadgets
    • cookery books
    • wine
    • tubs/containers for freezing, food storage in fridge & packed lunches
    It's hard to find places for everything but it's proved a useful exercise in getting my head around it.

Re.
    where do the potatoes go?
    I believe I'll be squeezing in a narrow (1 foot wide) base cabinet with pull out baskets for potatoes, onions etc. type stuff.

Re.
    More interesting than everything being built-in and hidden?
    I shy away from open shelves as I don't want to spend my time dusting & cleaning. Unless you've loads of time on your hands for cleaning, consider some glass doors (maybe the funky lift-up ones) for the open look whilst also protecting from dust. If stored on open shelves, would keep any cookery books as far from cooker as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement