Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushy's Open

Options
  • 16-10-2006 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

After years of waiting Bushy Park Skatepark is finally open. :D A helmet and pads are required, and it was supervised today.
    Opens around 9/10am and closes around 6/7pm.
    Enjoy. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

**** ME MAN THAT IS AWESOME!!!! i was literally up there yesterday lukin to skate it but then it opens the day after lol! SWEET!!!!!! and its free is it? do you actually need pads? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah it's free!
    There were two guys there today supervising it (I didn't actually get to skate it, I was just there at lunch) and they said you're not allowed in without pads and a helmet - so everyone'll be the same. But I dunno if they'll be there every day so it mightn't be enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 expn

Savage .......!!! Bushy open at last .......... i'm gonna go in da mornin' about 9:30am , workin' nights all this week , but once the weather's good , i'll be there..... so might see some of yis there too.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Bmx?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 expn

no , skateboard man.......!

But it doesn't really matter , does it.....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I was there yesterday skating! Its the best ever. The deep end of the pool is great for carving...well thats all i could do anyway. The 2 park wardens let me skate without a helmet but i had a full set of pads. They said that a helmet will be required from now on. They kept watch for us 'cos the health and safety officer was on his way! Telling us at one point "He'll be here in 5 minutes lads". I had to go home though! Just treat these guys with respect and everything should go smoothly. Full rules are posted up there as well. No under 10's apparently!! So my wife told me! Typical, I didnt read the rules!! :D:D:D
    There was one guy on bmx there yesterday ripping it up with big airs and manuals all the way around the bowl then back in! Shaggy was there tearing it up as well!!! Its going to be a second home for me!!!! My wife will soon be a skateboard widow...and she agreed!!:D
    The park wardens said that they may start opening it at 8am when the park itself opens. I'm going to go mostly midweek cos it say it'll be mental/somewhat dangerous at weekends. People dropping in blind and stuff like that!
    And back to another point I made in another thread: why dont skateshops stock good quality pads??? One of the wardens said he was going to talk to the bike shop down the road and try and get them to stock pads and helmets!!! But i say hassle your skateshop and get them to stock the good 'uns. We need to support our skateshops!
    Peace
    C you all there soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

Yep Bushy is finally up & runnin - THANK GOD!
    Just heard that da 1st official injury happened earlier today.
    Broken leg :eek:

Injuries will happen, but pads & a lid are a good idea (even when da parkies bugger off & ya don't 'have to' wear them.

1st grind over da deep end tiles gets a prize

JohnBoy

first to grind over the deepend tiles gets a prize eh? well ill be skating there tomorrow with my shiny shoes on :D

"1st grind over da deep end tiles gets a prize

JohnBoy"

Already done mate, was there on Monday and just about managed it!!!
    Hack 'N Slash...... great feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

anyone got some skatin pics yet? or the 2 block

• Advertisement

Kenjd wrote:
    "1st grind over da deep end tiles gets a prize

JohnBoy"

Already done mate, was there on Monday and just about managed it!!!
    Hack 'N Slash...... great feeling

Think ya missed da cheekyness there Kenny
    - I was skatin WITH YOU on Monday when I did it meself!

Prizes only on offer for frontsides...:D

Later

JohnBoy

DOH! where you the guy in the blue t-shirt? I should have introduced myself!! Anyways hope to meet soon there! :D
    Gonna get frontsides next time! hehe

PS Pat in Lazy Dog in dun Laoghaiore is where you can all pick up some helmets!!! ;)

Just after skating there today, its great! cept ya need to bring somebody with you to push you!

By "push you" do you mean encourage??? :D
    Yeah its always better skating with people, i feel you get more inspiration that way! everybody has a different style which is cool!
    Wont be able to get to Bushy till next week!! Damn my job!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

It is klass that Bushy is open at long last,well done too everyone who worked hard to get the park done the way it was meant to be done,user input and skater built!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 invisiblewill

Those opening hours are ****ing ****. Any sane country would leave a "free" skatepark open 24/7. I work 9 to 6 Monday to Friday and no way could I get out in time. Weekends I could but what's the point in leaving the park open during office hours and then closing coming 6 or 7? Some skaters aren't in school or college anymore.

I was hoping for some late night skates during the week :mad:

Those opening hours are ****ing ****.
    I was hoping for some late night skates during the week :mad:

I noticed there were no flood lights installed! Hopefully soon.
    Anyone noticed it hasn't stopped raining since it opened? Its just going to rain forever now itsn't it?

Well said wideangle. Everybody involved should stand up and take a bow.
    Thank You

Kenjd wrote:
    Anyone noticed it hasn't stopped raining since it opened? Its just going to rain forever now itsn't it?

Yeah, it sucks. It was completely deserted at lunch time today, which looked funny compared to its over-crowded state yesterday.

Though it might be alright for tomorrow. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Dublin#

I'd be lyin if I didn't say I had doubts over the past few years
    - especially when 100 or so residents arranged a meeting with council (18 months ago) to say " Down with this kinda thing"
    Thankfully it all worked out

Just goes to show if ya stick at it, anything can be done.
    Havin helped from da start (along with Shaggy, Roj, da Bentforkers & others) its really satisfyin to see everythin up & runnin.
    I still don't know how we managed to get Airspeed all da way from Oregon :D

Re the lights (or lack of) - there are no plans to have any.
    Locals will defo have an issue with that, cos the tennis courts never had lights & opening hours will be coordinated with courts/general park opening times. Unfortunately we're just gonna have to put up with da dark evenins.

Lucan has lights (& the leisure centre stays open til 9.00 or 10.00)
    Hopefully some of the other parks will be floodlit too.

If ya feel strongly enuf about it, give Dublin City Council a call

Cheers,

JohnBoy

JahEerie wrote:
    I'd be lyin if I didn't say I had doubts over the past few years
    - especially when 100 or so residents arranged a meeting with council (18 months ago) to say " Down with this kinda thing"
    Thankfully it all worked out

Just goes to show if ya stick at it, anything can be done.
    Havin helped from da start (along with Shaggy, Roj, da Bentforkers & others) its really satisfyin to see everythin up & runnin.
    I still don't know how we managed to get Airspeed all da way from Oregon :D

Re the lights (or lack of) - there are no plans to have any.
    Locals will defo have an issue with that, cos the tennis courts never had lights & opening hours will be coordinated with courts/general park opening times. Unfortunately we're just gonna have to put up with da dark evenins.

Lucan has lights (& the leisure centre stays open til 9.00 or 10.00)
    Hopefully some of the other parks will be floodlit too.

If ya feel strongly enuf about it, give Dublin City Council a call

Cheers,

JohnBoy
    Lucan has lights, but theyre not gonna be used till the centre takes control of the park seing as the council still controls opening and closing times. When the centre takes control your all gonna have to start paying, but i guess its worth it with the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

I'll be up there tomorrow if there's any dudes heading up to get a buzz goin'.....They NEED to open it all early though cos loadsa dudes skating there inc myself are 'grown ups' and have work and uni and **** to deal with...

Just read the official times when I was there today. It opens at 12 every day throughout the whole year and right now it's closing at 5:30pm. When the clocks go back and all that it'll be closing at 4:30pm. (so that's only 4 and a half hours opening time!) But the parkie said he'll try and get it open at around 10:00 tomorrow and for all the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 will_c

that sounds a little dodgy
    not that im ungrateful for the park being here, but the restictions are a bit nasty.
    what can we do to change this?

any idea when the center will get control of the park in lucan?

will_c wrote:
    that sounds a little dodgy
    not that im ungrateful for the park being here, but the restictions are a bit nasty.
    what can we do to change this?

any idea when the center will get control of the park in lucan?

well its been two weeks for alond time now, but i shouldnt say too much longer. but the park ranger was sayin , the centre closes at like 11 on some week days so maybe late night sessions on fridays which would be handy for the older people, but i dont know whats holdin them back.

I turned up and after the hassle of getting to Bushy, the fences,security guards, crowds of youngsters,weird opening times, squawking parentsetc... I realised the event wasn't going to live up to the anticipation for me at least, so I gave my board and helmet to a random kid and went home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

Haha! Squawking parents? Soccer moms and rad dads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 will_c

you gave your board to a kid?
    thats sarcasm innit :D
    yeah the sooner they get late night sessions up the better.
    a marquee to protect us from the rain would be a bit deadly too :P

Giving a board to a kid in a public space in front of parents is a euphemism that'll get you arrested. Skating in Ireland is just a pissing into the wind contest and I'm now not sure that having parks will actually change that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

All this talk about the park but where are the pics???

I'm getting really close to being tempted to bring my bmx to dublin from home, i just need to get myself bearings for the crank allong with new axles etc for wheels.

Maybe ill dig up my old Roces Streets :D and go blading again

Are week days the best time to go? Weekend only really suit me best, college during the week that i cant really skimp of

• Advertisement

h-street23 wrote:
    Giving a board to a kid in a public space in front of parents is a euphemism that'll get you arrested. Skating in Ireland is just a pissing into the wind contest and I'm now not sure that having parks will actually change that much.

Oh my god! Why doesnt everyone just shut the **** up and skate?

Advertisement