Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushy's Open

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Kenjd wrote:
    Oh my god! Why doesnt everyone just shut the **** up and skate?

Dont mind that prat! Going there in the morn if anyone is around...and also depending on the weather!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭skate4evr

Hey has anyone noticed that theres a group of like 16 year old skaters who are there alot of the time and theyre the most obnoxious people you'd ever meet! Like i saw one kid fall down then this total tosser just starts laughing at him trying to be the hard man! They act like they own the place! And there's this other fat ginger guy who keeps cuttin out infront of everyone then if they dont get out of his way immediatly he starts giving out to them and giving them a hard time! Like they're pretty alright skatersin fairness but it makes me sick to see the name they're giving skating! there's alotof people in that park just like em too, its a shame! advce guys... dont go up on a saturday, the place is literally always full!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

I was there on sunday, and I thought it was pretty funny how the parkie went around telling people to put their helmets on... yet he hadn't even cleared all the mushy wet leaves away from the outside of the bowl, which could probably cause a few accidents too. I was there for a total of 15 minutes before I left... I love tricks that involve the foot on the front wheel but even though I dried off my wheel really well, every time I went to the flatbank I'd have to go through leaves so the wheel would be wet by the time I got up there and so it was impossible to stop the wheel with my foot... so I just rode the small rail over the other side of the bowl then went off to ride street. Thank God for street!! It was just so annoying at the park with kids everywhere having to wait ages for a turn... I learn ten times more stuff on street just because of the fact that I don't need to waste half my time waiting to take a go!!!

The looks on the faces of some of the tiny skater kids was pretty funny, seeing a girl on a bike. Some looked disgusted. Not that that would normally put me off, seeing as I'd just ride and be able to prove that I can ride just as well as any guy... but I couldn't even do that due to wet leaves and lack of room! haha.

I just think it's going to be a bit ridiculous trying to ride there until things calm down and more skateparks are built in Ireland/Dublin so everyone just doesn't have ONE park to ride.

Personally, I can't wait for Greystones, it looks so much better, well thought out and more open plan, allowing more people to ride it at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

skate4evr wrote:
    Hey has anyone noticed that theres a group of like 16 year old skaters who are there alot of the time and theyre the most obnoxious people you'd ever meet! Like i saw one kid fall down then this total tosser just starts laughing at him trying to be the hard man! They act like they own the place! And there's this other fat ginger guy who keeps cuttin out infront of everyone then if they dont get out of his way immediatly he starts giving out to them and giving them a hard time! Like they're pretty alright skatersin fairness but it makes me sick to see the name they're giving skating! there's alotof people in that park just like em too, its a shame! advce guys... dont go up on a saturday, the place is literally always full!!
    similar people in lucan. "owners"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

skate4evr wrote:
    fat ginger guy
    The laugh's on him. He's fat.

And ginger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

You're right Beks
    The parkies real priority should be to ensure that the facility is kept safe - swept / dry as possible, etc.
    I've let the council know about this & they're doing somethin about it
    - I might even bring a brush meself!

Hopefully the crowds at Bushy will encourage the powers-thet-be to build more parks in Dublin.
    They certainly can't argue that the demand isn't there

Cheers

JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

FFS if there's anything i hate at a park its kids laughing at others misery and people not watching out letting others go before them. I used to be a local at a mini ramp (different country/city) we used to always help others, check if they ok if they fall hard etc. :(

How long should it take from town to cycle out there? For the moment ive no crank on my bmx (need new axels for both wheels to :( ) Until i get both sorted i'll be using my ancient :D Roces street if i can get out sometime next week.

Jozi

I went there yeasterday bout midday and was there most of the day! I meet some cool people! For once in my life I'm happy that i work weekends!
    As regards people laughing at others I'd be the first to rip them out of it!
    Little punks!!! Weekdays are the best for going there!
    In regards to the park wardens, most seem pretty sound as i chatted to a few of them, but the dont really no what to do at the best of times! There was a guy there yesterday skating the bowl with a builders helmet on! The parky let him!! It was funny though.
    There was a polish guy on a bmx there yesterday getting 360's over the spine and a parky told his mate to stop filming cos there were kids about!!! FFS
    But when a mummy wanted to take pics of her son skating that was ok???
    It'll all settle down soon!
    Later
    Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chong1

Alright,

I've been in england for a couple of years and i just came home, to my complete disappointment i've learned that Ramp n Rail is now closed. Man i fu**in loved that place. So i'm now lookin for somewhere else to skate as there is absolutely nowhere to skate where i'm from(Dundalk), i see on this forum that there is alot of talkin about "bushys park". where is this place, how do you get to it from the M1, is it concrete or wood, indoor or outdoor, is it public or private, how much is it to skate, so many questions!!?!! If anyone can help that would be sweet.

Everybody needs to remember that they were that little clueless kid at one stage. Laughin at kids isn't cool - hopefully I'll witness it myself so I can 'have a word'.

The one thing that'll take a bit of time is 'park etiquette'
    - ya shouldn't need a list of rules to know that droppin-in on people / snakin is not cool. Its sorta understandable when its packed, but some people are genuinely stupid when it comes to bein cool.
    I have to say that the worst offenders I've seen were bikers - not so much BMX'ers but some morons on mountain bikes.
    For a start they shouldn't even be there - but if they are, they should make an extra effort to be cool (since they're flingin 35 pound lumps of metal around)

Anyway as Ken says, it'll all calm down in time

Nice lil session happenin as I type - perfect day for it.
    Lucky b*stards!

JohnBoy

• Advertisement

Chong wrote:
    where is this place, how do you get to it from the M1, is it concrete or wood, indoor or outdoor, is it public or private, how much is it to skate, so many questions!!?!! If anyone can help that would be sweet.

Location: Bushy Park, terenure, concrete, outdoor, public, free
    Check here for more directions:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/searchbt.php?search=direction+skatepark&order=0&user=&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1

Bushy Park
    Rathfarnham, Dublin 14, Ireland

JahEerie wrote:
    but some people are genuinely stupid when it comes to bein cool.
    JohnBoy

Couldn't agree more John!
    I even went outside the skatepark to smoke and eat my food! Respect an' all that!!!
    Some f**ker drank an aptimel drink and let the plastic carton fall into the deep end!!! FFS! Then i had to bail to pick up the remains from someones helmet buckle that they left in the deepend!

Everyone needs to show the park and its patrons + wardens more respect!

And beks dont worry bout those kids! Give 'em hell! Closed minded idiots!

Anytime i've been there there is always a warden on duty! Any cool skaters need a job? It would be better having a rider there than those guys! Although on monday they did know the difference between a mountain bike and a bmx! So they are learning!
    Later

Nice 1 man,

Loving the skate scene, gotten alot bigger this last 2 years. Gonna try skate this bushy place at the wkend? Is it worth trying or is it too busy?

fisheye wrote:
    The laugh's on him. He's fat.

And ginger.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! so so mean but so so true! :D
    Yeah it really isnt cool snakin, the laughing at little kids thing is even worse! (well, kinda) yeah the guys on their mountain bikes really take up alot of space when they're in the pool and they tend not to give anyone a chance to go

skate4evr wrote:
    yeah the guys on their mountain bikes really take up alot of space when they're in the pool and they tend not to give anyone a chance to go
    You are joking, rite? Mountain bikes in a skatepark :mad:

no joke man, every kid with a mountain bike thinks their allowed to go into the park and ride the bowl :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

who is actually allowed go into the park? is there like a set of rules sayin who can and cant ride the park?

Boards, bikes & blades only
    - no Mountainbikes, scooters, shopping carts or any other sh*te

The word 'SKATEpark' should be a hint really

There is a set of rules on the gate
    - the parkies have copped on now & they seem to know the score.
    In an ideal world every mad yoke would be welcome.
    Unfortunately its not an ideal world....

JohnBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 31 potato

JahEerie wrote:
    Boards, bikes & blades only
    JohnBoy

bikes....of course they're allowed then.
    provided it's not kids on their "full suspension" bikes.
    as long as the guys, or girls of course, can prove themselves in the park on their bike...be it mountain, dirt, jump, any kind of hardtail or whatever...then it's cool for them to be in there.
    And fair play to everyone whose flingin these '35 pound lumps of metal' around, its clearly heavier and harder than boards or skates, and if you can pull off your trick, all the better. more skillful.
    so in a little nutshell , if you can do it on your bike, then get in there.

Waste your time if ya like
    - the only bikes gettin in are BMXs

Check the rules on the gate
    You may reckon its 'cool' & all for MTBs
    - try to explain that to the parkies

JohnBoy

• Advertisement

I don't like the idea of mtb's being in the park, crashing into them has to be hard.

I'm delighted bmx's are aloud in tbh. They just so much more manouvrable in a park than a full size mtb

you wouldn't be using a full size mountain bike. dirt bikes are pretty much the same size and as manouverable as bmx's. just as easy to jump aswell.

does anyone watch the extreme sports channel?? when theyre in the parks...on bikes? doing the exact same things as bmx-ers in the bowls. it would be just as hard crashing into a bmxer aswell.

go up on the right days and watch the mtbers on their dirt jump bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

yeah theres only like a couple of inches difference between dirt bikes and bmxs, just that dirt bikes have front suspension is all and disc brakes....a bikes a bike whether its big or small

potato wrote:
    you wouldn't be using a full size mountain bike. dirt bikes are pretty much the same size and as manouverable as bmx's. just as easy to jump aswell.

does anyone watch the extreme sports channel?? when theyre in the parks...on bikes? doing the exact same things as bmx-ers in the bowls. it would be just as hard crashing into a bmxer aswell.

go up on the right days and watch the mtbers on their dirt jump bikes
    I was assuming normal mtb's, didnt think there where many trials mtb's around.

I can imagine the trials bike being as manouvarable as a bmx, and as you said extrame sports chan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 expn

JahEerie wrote:
    Yep Bushy is finally up & runnin - THANK GOD!
    Just heard that da 1st official injury happened earlier today.
    Broken leg :eek:

Injuries will happen, but pads & a lid are a good idea (even when da parkies bugger off & ya don't 'have to' wear them.

1st grind over da deep end tiles gets a prize

JohnBoy

i'm the proud owner of a new broken leg. Spiral compound fracture of the right tibia. Had surgery last thursday ( IM NAIL ) , and feel like **** ever since......!

i was going over the spine from the deep end , made it into the smaller side ,then shot out on flat , and all i remember is snp / pain.......!
    i was the only one there at about 10:30am last tuesday , so i had to climb out with broken leg and wait 15mins. for ambulance......!

My snowboarding holiday is screwed , work and college are pissed, and no good loving from the girlfriend...... plus i can't walk for at least 3 months........!
    be careful........ Peace........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

So how much time and effort did mountain bikers put in to get a skatepark or bowl then? Wow, that much? Really? Thought so.

There's a clue in the name what a skatepark is for and Dublin's surrounded by mountains, so get out and use them. Not forgetting of course that mountain bikes are all terrain and can use a hell of a lot more spots off road than any skateboards ever could.

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭boarderco

sorry to hear bout the leg dude! had one of those before along with breaking the fidia! hope they didnt put any steel in ya, i got me a steel bone now... tis now me libia, one fukd up place.cant really complain to the manufacturer... (god?)
    get yaself a playstation and a comfy place on the couch!
    happy healing!
    wg

ps, dont bones breakin sound like boards breaking,

grand......but as i as saying...not everyone goes in there with a mountain bike. there are jump bikes. for bowls.

Unless you're gonna bring a tape measure with ya,
    I'd stick to 20 inch bikes
    - BMX bikes only accordin to da rules.
    I've seen 26 inch / 24s / hard-tails / full-suspension - the lot.

MTB'ers have lodsa choices of places to ride
    - skaters/BMXers don't

Nuff said

Sorry to hear bout da broken leg EXPN
    - "That which doesn't kill me, only serves to make me stronger"

Get well.

JohnBoy

• Advertisement

Where can i get a cheap deck, and how much am i talking for a cheap deck. Or is it best to get off ebay or other internet sites? Its like E50 euros for a blank most places.

Advertisement