Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fca

• 13-10-2006 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey. I'm just wondering about the joining the FCA. Im 16. Ive just a couple of questions whats the minimum age? Whats the pay? How often do you train? what exacly do you do during training? and is there a minimum amount of time you have to spend in it?? thanks every1

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Moved to Military http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=659 you will get all the info you need there

B-man.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The FCA is now called the Reserve Defence Force,you should check out This thread as it has a lot of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Elpmek wrote:
    Hey. I'm just wondering about the joining the FCA. Im 16. Ive just a couple of questions whats the minimum age? Whats the pay? How often do you train? what exacly do you do during training? and is there a minimum amount of time you have to spend in it?? thanks every1

First off, FCA is now RDF (Reserve Defence Force).
    Minimun age is 17.

"How much time will I be expected to put in / How often do I train?"
    The RDF trains between 8 and 10 in their centres. Some companies also train on Sunday mornings. You will also be expected to attend field days (a full day's training or a weekend camp) and these occur usually every two to six weeks. In the summer (usually July) you will be expected to attend full-time annual training for 1-2 weeks. There is usually also a 1 week training camp at Easter.

Training - foot drill, foot drill and then more footdrill when you're first joined up (was for me anyway). Builds confidence and a bit of discipline if nothing else. Note that the commands are given through Irish. But don't worry, you don't need to be fluent - it'll be drilled into you ;)

Much of your time in the Army Reserve will be committed on a voluntary un-paid basis. Full-Time training is paid. You will be paid to attend annual training camps which you are required to attend (1-2 weeks duration twice yearly). Courses, duties and admin are also paid. You may complete up to 42 days paid training per year in addition to unpaid weekends and field-days. Some weekends are also paid.

Where are you living by the way? Might affect what different units you could join. (Artillery, Infantry, Medic, Comm)

check out:
    www.irishmilitaryonline.com
    or
    http://www.62infantry.com/FAQ.shtml
    Follow the link the last poster gave you aswell - this has all been covered a few times already.

Advertisement