Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance or dunces

Options
  • 16-10-2006 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi

(Sorry, I couldn't think of anything to go with Distance...)

Can't get BB my rural location. Is there any way to find out if it's distance from the exchange or a lack of capability of the exchange?

I've put in my number and a few neighbours numbers into the various checkers, and they all come up fail. So I am guessing it's exchange. If it's that, there's a chance I could eventually get it, with some campaigning and co-operation from neighbours who'd also use it.

If it's distance, is there anything in the pipeline that could bring an end to dial-up gloom or satelite pricing?

Cheers

JM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

jmiom wrote:
    Can't get BB my rural location. Is there any way to find out if it's distance from the exchange or a lack of capability of the exchange?
    Find out where the exchange is. Put the numbers of businesses and residences within a few hundred yards of the exchaneg into the line checker. If they all fail, then it's not distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jmiom

Is there any reference material available, here or elsewhere that gives me pointers on how I can force Eircom, or a.n.other provider to enable an exchange for DSL.

Or, can anyone recommend some line-of-site experts that could be contacted in order to look into this as an option.

My local exchange isn't enabled, a "smaller" exchange up the road is, and I also have line-of-site to a nearby town that has.

So, I was thinking...

1, Get local Eircom customers to request Broadband, but how many do I need?
    2, Talk to local politician, (elections are coming)
    3, If eircom aren't interested, approach BT or a.n.other if I can get a sample of 30 or so people
    4, look into line of site option
    5, go it alone. Aproach comreg looking for a license and see if I can sell on usage for a proportionate fee.

Thing is, I am too busy to become an ISP, and can't be doing with the support issues, so can anyone else help me out with this?

Has anyone forced the issue at their local exchange?

Cheers

JM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jmiom wrote:
    1, Get local Eircom customers to request Broadband, but how many do I need?
    2, Talk to local politician, (elections are coming)
    3, If eircom aren't interested, approach BT or a.n.other if I can get a sample of 30 or so people
    4, look into line of site option
    5, go it alone. Aproach comreg looking for a license and see if I can sell on usage for a proportionate fee.
    1. Doesn't matter how many names you get. Eircom will only upgrade the exchange if they feel like it/it's economical/there's a wireless operator in the area they want to squeeze out.
    2. Will do no harm but a waste of time imo.
    3. Eircom own the exchanges so no one else will be allowed go near them. BT (and the rest) only resell Eircom BB when it's already in place.
    4. Line of site to what??? Is there a wireless operator nearby?
    5. Not feasable.

What exchange are you connected to?
    What area (nearby town or whatever) are you in? Some one here may know of a wireless operator in your area that you don't know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

BT (and the rest) only resell Eircom BB when it's already in place
    Not 100% correct - Smart and Imagine have their own networks and are not resellers of Eircom's 48:1 contention crap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Not 100% correct - Smart and Imagine have their own networks and are not resellers of Eircom's 48:1 contention crap....
    Neither Smart nor Magnet have ever unbundled lines in an exchange that eircom hasn't DSL enabled.

So your "clarification" is **** all use to jmiom, as Smart and Magnet aren't likely to be providing services from his exchange in the immediate future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Setup a successful Wireless Internet supplier in the area. Convince eircom they will lose 1000s of dialup Internet customers. If you can offer VOIP with local geographic number even better as eircom phone lines can be cancelled.

They will then upgrade the exchange.

you'll find it very hard to get existing eircom numbers ported though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Imagine have their own networks and are not resellers of Eircom's 48:1 contention crap....
    LOL. I think you need to do a bit of research. Imagine have nothing at all. They resell UTV BB and UTV resell Eircom BB.:p
    It's true there are LLU operators (including BT, Smart, etc) but as Foxy said, you won't find them in exchanges that don't have Eircom BB already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

kaizersoze wrote:
    It's true there are LLU operators (including BT, Smart, etc) but as Foxy said, you won't find them in exchanges that don't have Eircom BB already in place.
    Ya, and aren't they only unbundled in a few major urban area's anyway. I bet Noel Dempsey's exchange is unbundled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

LOL. I think you need to do a bit of research. Imagine have nothing at all.
    Apologies - as Foxwood seems to have copped, I meant Magnet :o

If you read back, you'll see that the reason I mentioned these (or rather, meant to mention Smart and Magnet) was because of the "everyone is just a reseller" comment; I wasn't specifically clarifying anything to do with jmiom's query (other than, maybe if it was distance, Smart might be an option) - I was just correcting the ingrained assumption that everyone just resells eircom's version of slow, high-contention broadband.

Advertisement