Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish isp test result

Options
  • 16-10-2006 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, just wondering what the Irish isp test site results mean.

Total Averages:
    Download speed 2641 kbps (323 KB/s)
    Upload speed 7483kbps (914KB/s)
    Qos 15 %
    rtt 12 ms
    max pause 590 ms

What speed broadband connection would these figures represent?
    The site also mention that a 1meg file can be downloaded in 4sec, is it fair to assume that I have 1/2 meg line.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

As far as download goes you have a 3meg connection, upload is pretty confusing because you are getting over 7meg up! Are you on a business package or something? because Ive never seen or heard of someone getting such high upload speeds in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

are you using opera when doing the speedtest? if so, use IE or firefox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bikecrazy

Thanks guys for the replies.

No, not on a buissiness package, have magnet triple on a fibre to home. Cant understand such high upload myself.

No idea what opera is.
    Just ran the speed test on www.irishisptest.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

sweet... I know where I'll be going when Magnet come to my area

see my thread about Eircom 128kb/s upload speed... i.e. your upload is 70 times faster than mine... SEVENTY!!!!!

Opera is like a web browser like Internet Explorer

1000 kB = 1 MB = 8000 kb = 8 Mb ... (if you can make sense of that :))

323 kB/s means you have a 1/3 meg line :)

that means you can download a Meg in 3 seconds

1 MByte = 8 Mbits
    The MB's are the ones you'd be interested in for downloading things
    Downloading things are nearly always in MBs

A megabyte is usually what people mean when they say a meg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

323 kB/s means you have a 1/3 meg line :)

Transfer speeds are measured in bits, kilobits and megabits.
    File sizes are measured in bytes, kilobytes and megabytes.

323 kB/s means you likely have a 3Mbit line (Transfer speed = approx 2.5Mbit/sec).
    A megabyte is usually what people mean when they say a meg.

Not true. As above...
    If I'm talking about file sizes 'meg' means megabyte.
    If I'm talk about line speeds 'meg' = megabit.

No point confusing this (oh so very contentious) issue any more than it already is! :)

• Advertisement

Ok...

I'm still stickin with my way though

They're all just 1's and 0's after all, should just stick with bits or bytes...
    no point in changing between the 2

The only reason I think transfer speeds are measured in bits is cuz modem makers wanted their modems to sound faster.

But yeah... it is a 3Mbit line alright :)

p.s. check out my post count... I'm the devil.... ooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Ok...

They're all just 1's and 0's after all, should just stick with bits or bytes...
    no point in changing between the 2

But........ bits and bytes are two speperate things. There is every point in changing between the two :)

And, just to be a little pedantic
    1000 kB = 1 MB = 8000 kb = 8 Mb ... (if you can make sense of that smile.gif)
    No no no, that's what various hardware vendors want you to THINK so they can sell you a 400MB hard disk but only has about 370GB of storage space BEFORE formatting.

1024KB = 1MB so 8192KB = 8MB

With the exception of the amount of bits in a byte [8] everything is multiples of 1024. That extra 24 might not seem like much, but when you get to the GB range, you are REALLY loosing out.

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica] 1,024 Byte = 1 Kilobyte (KB)
    1,024 Kilobyte (KB) = 1 Megabyte (MB)
    1,073,741,824 Bytes = 1 Gigabyte (GB)
    1 Gigabyte (GB) = 1,024 Megabyte (MB)

Here is a very simple calculation showing some manufacturers way of calculating [wrong] and the real
    way.
    [/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    KB    1024    1000
    MB    1048576    1000000
    GB    1073741824    1000000000
    400GB    429496729600    400000000000

It doesn't take a genious to make out that you lose 30GB because of the manufacturers greed. But they are allowed to get away with it. Really makes my blood boil when people are just too lazy and go with the 1000 B in KB.

*EDIT* Just had a thought. Maybe NTL are basing their usage off the 1000 rather than the 1024. Maybe that's why their figures are sooo off the wall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

wish i lived in a ftth area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ok...

Thats absolutely fine, as long as you dont mind being wrong :)

IrishTLR wrote:
    bits and bytes are two speperate things.

As you so dramatically put it:
    IrishTLR wrote:
    that's what various hardware vendors want you to THINK
    IrishTLR wrote:
    And, just to be a little pedantic

... is a byte, by definition not equal to 8 bits

(I know this is not the way it works... it annoys me though, there should be no reason for us to deal with bits, it's just confusing, especially with file sizes)

but alas... we diverge

Moral of the story: don't listen to me, I'm being stupid.

Listen to Snaga, he knows the story with all those megachips
    Snaga wrote:
    Thats absolutely fine, as long as you dont mind being wrong :)

You win this one world... you win this one!!!

/shakes fist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

... is a byte, by definition not equal to 8 bits

As I said in my previous post
    With the exception of the amount of bits in a byte [8] everything is multiples of 1024.

Yes it is. But let's leave it at that, we are going waaaaaay off topic. This is not Computer Storage 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There has been proposed New prefixes and names for multiples of 2 to power 10 = 1024.

K, M, G really do mean 1000, 1000,000 and 1000,000,000 but since memory ALWAYS comes in powers of 2, after memory chips got to 1024 bits (256 Bytes, or 8 address lines on bytewide and 10 address lines on bit wide memory, or 9 address wires on 512 x 4 nybble memory), the memory makers decided to "break" the meaning of K = 1000 and make it be 1024

I remember the first memory chips I saw which had 16 Bytes. My first computer had 48 chips each 1024 bytes, arranged 6 x 8 layout on the PCB. They called it 48K. In reality 48 x 1.024K. They may have been byte wide chips (10 address wires and 8 data pins) or bit wide ( 13 address lines one data pin) I don't remember which.

A 64K static RAM always meant 8192 x 8bit.

So problem is not Hard Disk Makers but the whole computer industry misusing decimal x1000 metric qualifiers as binary (2 Power 10) qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Inside a computer a byte is ALWAYS 8 bit.

But bits per second of a serial transmission protocol is "raw data" which has protocol overhead. The actual equivalent bits in side the PC is less, then when divided by 8 to bytes it makes communication bps look like (8 x bits) <> byte.

Comms systems are more accurately described by symbols per second supported. But sps is even less transparent, because while 10,000 symbols per second of RS232 = 8000 bits = 1000 bytes, with PSK, QAM and (c)OFDM modulation schemes and FEC/Viterbi error correction schemes etc there is no simple relationship to transfered bits or bytes at all.

All modem bitrates on the circuit only aproximate to an internal bit rate and thus bytes downloaded.

With server on the fly compression you can even get 10,000,000 bits per second on a 3,000,000 bits per second connection.

So FTP or HTTP download bytes can never exactly match your actual line speed. On some systems binary downloads (common with email) are expanded to text with a doubling of the bytes used, so effectively 16 to 20 bits = 1 byte!

So on a 3Mbps ADSL, at the SAME speed, one download could be as much as 400kBytes/s and another only 150kBytes/s depending if a server is using "binary compression on the fly" or MIME (bytes expanded to two characters).

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

stebishop wrote:
    are you using opera when doing the speedtest? if so, use IE or firefox

Why is that then:confused:

Advertisement