Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The New Audi TT

Options
  • 16-10-2006 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw one of the new audi TTs there this morning and guys I have to say its bit of a dissapointment....didnt have the killer looks I was expecting. saw it pleanty on web sites and looked like it had the style to keep it a head turner but when I saw it in real life it was just a total let down....Merc SLK is a far better looking car and deffo cant just be labeled a hairdressers car...and still waiting to get a look and the new 3 series coupe

Dont get me wrong guys...its a nice car....but only a nice car...not the cracking car €50k+ should get you these days....anyway just thought Id give my ten cents worth on that one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

3 series coupe is hardly exciting either. overpriced maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Agree with you - they havent made enough changes to the original. I used to have a 350Z and if anything they appear to have gone toward that shape a bit. Someone on here said they say an Audi R8 - it would have been nice if they had gone toward that a bit more. I suppose there were a lot of buyers for the original and there will be for this one aswell.

Not a huge fan of the SLK I must say. I have seen the 3 series coupe and I am impressed. Looks a lot beefier (in a good way) than the pics.

colm_mcm wrote:
    3 series coupe is hardly exciting either. overpriced maybe.
    The engine on the 335i is exciting - almost as quick as the current M3

yes but the engine would be exciting regardless of how they managed to mess up the styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

so what do we all think is the best looking in this class?

the Brera is top of my list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

an audi R8??...was that not just a concept car?..thought i saw a pic of one alongside the alfa concept big coup in one of them free rags you get in the morning.

Have to say Bazman you hit the nail on the head when you said it has similar looks to the 350Z..

just a quick question guys...if you had to choose between the BMW 3 series coup,new Audi TT, or a CLK/SLK which would it be??

When i was thinking of changing my CLK I went into an Alfa dealer on the Kylemore Rd for a look at the Brera...and i have to admit I was impressed by the looks of the Brera...but then sense got the better of me!!

I reluctantly go back to Mercs...I hate Merc salesmen,I pay through the nose for extras that come as standard on most other Marques,they are not the car they used to be...but i still love them....and still have a CLK!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I was a bit disapointed whan I saw one last saturday myself. Thought it was too much like just a facelift of the older version. Spotted the 3 Series Coupe last sat too and it looked a lot nicer in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The biggest problem with the 3-series saloon is the rear styling & they've totally changed that on the coupe. Haven't seen the coupe in the flesh yet but the looks are really growing on me. It's more subtle and grown up than the TT or SLK ('hairdressery'), not to mention the 350Z (great car, wrong badge in this image-obsessed world).

A well-speced 330d coupe is probably one of the all-round best cars on the planet right now... (sorry for the hyperbole!).

I usually love Alfa styling - 156, 159, GT Coupe, pre-facelift 146... But I think the Brera is way overrated on the looks front. Side profile it lacks cohesion somehow...

have to say that Im not mad about the new 3 series saloon....I cant say what it is but there is just something that says"Hyundai" about it...so lets hope the coup is a wee bit beter looking in real life.Like I said earlier,and Iv been thinking about it for a while now,but i really think Merc has the upper hand in the styling department at the moment....the new CL is looking like its gonna be the benchmark in the high end coup segment...carries on the sharp look merc has going at the moment and they have that edge over Audi and BMW....cant see any 6 series or R8 taking the crown from the CL.

• Advertisement

6051205.001.Mini6L.jpg

yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'll be selling my A3 to my brother and getting a new TT in January. Saw one the other day on the road being test driven and agree that it wasn't anything to write home about. It was silver though, dirty and had the poxy 17in wheels (don't get me wrong, 17's are decent sized wheels and on my A3 look plenty big, but the arches are bigger on a TT. 17's just disappear in there)

I'll be getting a Brilliant black one with the 18in Turbine alloys and believe me it looks a million times better than the one I saw on the road the other day.

IMHO the old TT while a design classic I will conceed that it was a bit feminine looking. It did deserve the 'hairdressers' moniker, but I think the new one is much more masquline, muscular and sporty looking.

Calibos wrote:
    I'll be selling my A3 to my brother and getting a new TT in January. Saw one the other day on the road being test driven and agree that it wasn't anything to write home about. It was silver though, dirty and had the poxy 17in wheels (don't get me wrong, 17's are decent sized wheels and on my A3 look plenty big, but the arches are bigger on a TT. 17's just disappear in there)

I'll be getting a Brilliant black one with the 18in Turbine alloys and believe me it looks a million times better than the one I saw on the road the other day.

IMHO the old TT while a design classic I will conceed that it was a bit feminine looking. It did deserve the 'hairdressers' moniker, but I think the new one is much more masquline, muscular and sporty looking.

Maybe worth waiting for the new S3? Its only 2 ltr but 265 bhp. Saying that it depends what your looking for - understated performance or sporty looks. The S3 apparently does 0-100km/k in 5.7 sec (not that this is relevant in the real world)

Anyway back to the point - the 3 series saloon doesnt look great in my opinion and I was worried that the coupe wouldnt look too much different, but as I said above - in the flesh I was impressed

colm_mcm wrote:
    6051205.001.Mini6L.jpg

yes please!

What is that - some variation of the IS250? Whats going on with those exhausts - not my cup of tea. I think the standard IS250 looks great but lacks room in the back and boot, as well as having relatively poor visibility imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

colm_mcm wrote:
    6051205.001.Mini6L.jpg

yes please!

uugh, *shudder*

That looks like the rear bumper is missing. It might look better when it is attached.

kaiser1 wrote:
    ....the new CL is looking like its gonna be the benchmark in the high end coup segment...carries on the sharp look merc has going at the moment and they have that edge over Audi and BMW....cant see any 6 series or R8 taking the crown from the CL.

Personally I think all S-class based (CL) saloons have looked overly-bloated since the handsome SEC of the '80's. The early '90's one was the worst. The current S-class styling theme (bloated wheelarches) probably suit the CL better that the sallon but it's still not my cup of tea. Similarly the '80's 6-series was a cracker, really beautiful car. The current 6-series is the second worse Bangle design after the the 7-series IMO...

The new XK is far better-looking than Merc/BMW rivals. Jags have never really caught on here though, even in the recent boom years...

kaiser1 wrote:
    ....the new CL is looking like its gonna be the benchmark in the high end coup segment...carries on the sharp look merc has going at the moment and they have that edge over Audi and BMW....cant see any 6 series or R8 taking the crown from the CL.

Personally I think all S-class based (CL) saloons have looked overly-bloated since the handsome SEC of the '80's. The early '90's one was the worst. The current S-class styling theme (bloated wheelarches) probably suit the CL better that the saloon but it's still not my cup of tea. Similarly the '80's 6-series was a cracker, really beautiful car. The current 6-series is the second worse Bangle design after the the 7-series IMO...

The new XK is far better-looking than Merc/BMW rivals. Jags have never really caught on here though, even in the recent boom years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

colm_mcm wrote:
    6051205.001.Mini6L.jpg

yes please!

Way nicer than the new BMW 3 series coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

TheBazman wrote:
    .....Anyway back to the point - the 3 series saloon........

Yeah, back to the point of the 'New TT' thread, so anyway, the new TT lads.....:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

pburns wrote:
    The biggest problem with the 3-series saloon is the rear styling & they've totally changed that on the coupe. Haven't seen the coupe in the flesh yet but the looks are really growing on me. It's more subtle and grown up than the TT or SLK ('hairdressery'), not to mention the 350Z (great car, wrong badge in this image-obsessed world).

A well-speced 330d coupe is probably one of the all-round best cars on the planet right now... (sorry for the hyperbole!).

I usually love Alfa styling - 156, 159, GT Coupe, pre-facelift 146... But I think the Brera is way overrated on the looks front. Side profile it lacks cohesion somehow...

Well said. The new 3 coupe looks a lot better than the TT hands down.
    Had a good look at an E92 325 coupe last sat. at dealers-they realy got the back right this time + lots of nice little touches to the interior. As for the TT, saw a silver one around sandyford lately, looks well, reminds me of the new beetle a bit..:confused:
    Agree the rear of the E90 can look a bit off-the shape of the light clusters is all wrong, it does not look as bad the darker the paint job though. Parked mine beside a white 318 with the 16" wheels lately-amazing how better it looked in saphire w/17"wheels.

Can't wait to test drive the E92 330d, had an E46 330d se for a few days a while back-amazing car, fell in love w/it, serious torque an V. smooth compared to 4 pot 2L-thing could pull a pikey off his wife...

• Advertisement

Is the E92 335d not available for test drive yet? Thats gonna have some serious torque and little lag with a 3 ltr twin turbo diesel engine

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

My thoughts .

Audi R8 from pictures is breath taking . Saw the Audi TT over the weekend and wasnt impressed at all . Defo prefer the slk in silver with amg fittings.

One car that I didnt like on paper was the new bmw 3 series coupe , however saw its this morning coming up by Santry and it looked pretty good in black with all fogs lights on . The front looked in my opinion at lot nicer in the flesh than in photos more lower to ground like the z4 rather than a standard 3 series.

that lexus would be nice if it got rid of the 3 exhausts??

Also in relation to the 350z , I see a lot more jap imports around now all black fairladyz reg 01 , 02 ,03 . The price must be quite competitive . They would be great ex vrt i d say dirt cheap leaving japan , do probably wreck my some japenese uppie who dont buy houses only expensive toys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

TheBazman wrote:
    Is the E92 335d not available for test drive yet? Thats gonna have some serious torque and little lag with a 3 ltr twin turbo diesel engine

335d looks good on paper, but €6.5k is a lot for an extra 55 Bhp over the 330ds 231 Bhp.

glynf wrote:
    335d looks good on paper, but €6.5k is a lot for an extra 55 Bhp over the 330ds 231 Bhp.

Agreed it is a lot - I suppose you could always give it a run in a test drive

Advertisement