Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Loner

Options
  • 16-10-2006 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Thanks 4 advice all. you've been very helpful. i'll definitley make an effort. tcare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cocomint

thanks. i'll try that and see how it goes. i know it won't all happen at one go, but i have to try pushing myself a bit more to overcome the shyness. hopefully things will get better...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The scariest thing is starting to talk to people. I still remember the first person I ever talked to in UCD. He had a toy dog someone had given him for his birthday the night before out on the desk in a Philosophy lecture and I asked what he called it (not knowing that it was a present, obviously). Still talk to him whenever I see him. It's all about the initial push.

Also, it's never too late to get involved in the good societies. Find something you're interested in and then find its society. They'll love your interest.

LOL.. yup.. I'm new to boards. liked it coz it's one of the few sites where you don't have to post tons of photos and personal details but you still get sensible responses!! Yeah, I'll go in with a bit more bravado 2morow. UCD sucks though coz new international students are virtually ignored unless you're really out-going or came with a gang from home already... anyway. I'll give all those tips a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'd have to agree with getting involved with a society as well. Not only can you get involved with the people there, but there's also the chance that people from any societies you join will be in your class.
    You could also come to a ucd boards beers! We're a friendly bunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think you should just chat to people more in the lectures etc....i came over to Ireland on my own and found it was easy just to chat to people and make friends.

as said, join any type of socities...whatever you're interested in!

You'll find people surprisingly friendly, just give em a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Try a small society/club or a team sport, that way noone can get lost in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Check your PMs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Join Jazzsoc, the friendliest soc on the planet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i've been meaning to join jazzsoc actually but never got around to it, is it too late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

griffdaddy wrote:
    i've been meaning to join jazzsoc actually but never got around to it, is it too late?

God no, just turn up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Oh, and be yourself with people...no one likes it when someone tries to be someone they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Get involved in the Students Union you can pick up a by-election form there's loads of constituencies vacant.Check out if your constituency is vacant at

http://www.ucdsu.net/attachments/oct2006/union_council_election_results_public.pdf

This is the actual link to the document its a pdf file and so you might prefer to open it in UCD if you don't have a fast connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

It's sometimes hard to make friends in UCD, and when you're alone everyone seems to be ignoring you, but there's actually literally thousands of nice people in UCD (not to say that 18,000 of them are mean either). It's such an opportunity if you can get to know them, you're bound to find at least 20 people who would make great friends. I never really did the society thing but you make friends in the strangest ways. I was worried at the start that I wouldn't make friends but now almost all my friends are people I met here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Didnt see the op's original post but hang in there UCD loner. :) It took me ages to settle into UCD.It can be a really daunting place even to the most outgoing people. As everyone said here joining a small society can really help.Or a small sports club too.
    In lectures try and seek out those who look like they are by themselves and get chatting to them. Even if you dont feel very confident just act confident and you'll soon find yourself chatting to new people.
    And remeber Panda is always free for pm's if your feeling the lonliness a bit too much
    Oh and come along to the UCD board beers and you will be garunteed to meet at leaat 10 friendly people!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I found it really hard to get to know people in UCD. I still hardly know anyone, just one really good mate and then a few people i'd say hi to in my subjects.

It really bothered me in first year and i hated it, but i couldn't give a toss now. I'm pretty non-bothered at my lack of knowing anyone. I'm quite enjoying it this year actually.

I am going to some photo soc thing tommorrow night though (its like the first college thing i've ever gone to and its my last year)
    If anyones going, hello!

Hey everyone. Thanks SOO MUCH for all the kind words and advice! It's really encouraging. I have checked out the societies and will join a couple soon. Yeah, the smaller ones seem less intimidating and more friendly. Not really one for the huge societies where u have to wear little short skirts and dye your hair blonde to get noticed!! (oh, that was a joke.. no offence to those who do enjoy them! I mean we all like different stuff!!). Anyway, I'll take all the good advice on board, act confident, be myself and just talk to people... oh not forgetting the societies! :D:D

Advertisement