Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White kitten

Options
  • 16-10-2006 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

im looking for a pure snow white kitten, a girl..
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

You might want to remember that a very high percentage of pure white cats are deaf and all white cats are prone to sunburn & skin cancers.

If you are interested, Kittenadoption.ie have (iirc) a white girl looking for a very special and understanding, (she is deaf).

B

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

I believe if they are deaf they'll have blue eyes (or a blue eye on the side they're deaf in). But the cat being deaf shouldn't put you off, although you may want to consider keeping her indoors (ditto for the sunburn). One of our cats is white and believe me, if you want them to stay white it's definitely worth keeping them in, ours was more a dirty grey when we first got her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

You know that they never stay white :D:D:D

We have a white Norwegian Forrest cat, but most of the time she's brownish from dirt, and a few month ago we adopted a little white kitten with a lame front leg that's beyond repair, but she is very quick on her three legs.

Regarding deafness: As long as it's not the combination white coat and bleu eyes there will be nothing wrong with the hearing.

If you're afraid for sunburn (tabby/ginger cats can get that also) you can protect your cat's ears with normal suncream. We never do that as a cat normally stays out of the sun if it's to hot anyway.

Just out of curiosity :any special reason why you want a white cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Im not entirely sure of the blue eye = deafness thing, I would suggest you ask http://kittenadoption.proboards80.com/ about the details of white cats and deafness, "The sausage" has a lot of experience and a great knowledge in the area.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

mjffey wrote:
    Regarding deafness: As long as it's not the combination white coat and bleu eyes there will be nothing wrong with the hearing.

That's not correct. My own cats are green eyed whites and are totally deaf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Arcadian wrote:
    That's not correct. My own cats are green eyed whites and are totally deaf.

Ah well, there are always exceptions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Get a deafy, teach it to sign.. great craic all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

If you are interested, Kittenadoption.ie have (iirc) a white girl looking for a very special and understanding, (she is deaf).

B

I foster deaf white cats. I'm also Princess's foster mum.
    She does need a very special home indeed. She's had a very rough start to life but she's a fantastic girl who is extremely loving. She absolutely can only go to an indoor home.

Regarding white cats & deafness.
    Those with blue eyes have a high chance of deafness. Those with one blue eye have a high chance of deafness on the blue-eyed side. Those with green eyes are far less likely to be deaf. Some dominant white kittens are born with smudges of coloured fur on top of the head where the colour is incompletely masked, this smudge of colour usually disappears by adulthood, but kittens with colour smudges are more likely to have normal hearing.
    I've four of my own, all with green eyes. 2 are deaf & 2 can hear.

Advertisement