Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloy Wheels - Missing Wheel Lock Nut/Bolt

Options
  • 16-10-2006 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I got my NCT for a car I bought around a July and passed, however they noticed I had a nail in one of my back tyres, the tyre was not flat and the nail was tiny, anyway I went to quickfit to get it fixed, while trying to take my wheel off he asked for the Lock Nut/Bolt to take of the tyre......I never thought of it before and did not know my car had this, so I looked in the boot and the usual places in the car and could not find them.....so now I have tyres on my car that I can't get off....so I am screwed if I get a puncture...

I went back to the garage where I bought it and hat a chat with the guy who sold it to me (I know him well) and he said he would call around to see what he could do and will sort it out someway...

But does anyone know what you do in this situation? Has anyone ever lost the bolt to their alloys etc, it must happen sometimes....?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What sort of car - do you know if the locking bolts were supplied from new? If they were then there should be some record of the code. If not, then get the tyre fitter to remove them and supply another set. It'll cost a few quid but it's the easiest way if the key socket can't be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sometimes it's possible to weld an ordinary bolt onto the locking one and remove it that way. Then replace it with an ordinary one.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

It is a VW Polo 3dr 2000, don't know when the alloys where put on or if it came with the car...so I don't know who I could contact to get a replacement key for the bolt or even if it is possible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can usually remove them off with a Gator Grip ( http://gator-grip.com/ )and then buy replacement ones. Proberly would be the best option. Or they can be removed with a little bit of love from a hammer and drift.

Advertisement