Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Browsing

• 16-10-2006 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advise. I'm thinking of buying a new phone to use specifically for internet browsing as the one I currently have only has WAP and doesn't allow me to browse the sites I want. I would prefer to get a Nokia but could be persuaded otherwise. Any suggestions? All info. would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Bought myself a Nokia E61 - its the business :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭William Gates

How much was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

Bought it from an authorised Nokia shop when I was passing through Singapore for EUR 220 SIM Free (I just slipped my existing 02 Sim card in and changed to a data plan)

Vodafone have it here, not sure how much with one of their contracts.

Don't think 02 Ireland sell it for some reason.

Expansys (sp) also have it SIM Free (is pricey though if I remember correctly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

Bought it from an authorised Nokia shop when I was passing through Singapore for EUR 220 SIM Free

Did you buy in Changi Airport or somewhere else in Singapore?

Are there good phone bargains and selection in the airport?

Get a phone with Wifi that way you can minimise the costs of browsing. I use a Nokia N93 and I find it great for viewing websites on its large screen in landscape mode. The inbuilt browser is pretty cool as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pj_samba

Nokia E61 - RRP in VF store €199, you can get it for as low as €139 on PF 600

OK, I went to 5 phone stores on Grafton St. today and asked them all to recommend a phone. My only instruction was that I wanted the best one for Web Browsing. Nearly all of them (bar maybe the 02 guy) didn't seem to have much of a clue and were waffling a lot (especially the Meteor guy). Anyway, here is their recommendations. Let me know what you think, I'm still undecided.......

Meteor - Nokia6230i (€199)
    Vodafone 1 - Nokia 6234 (€199)
    Carphone Warehouse - N70 (€329)
    02 - Nokia XDA (€329 bill only) - the guy was adament that this was the only phone on the irish market with proper full web browsing capabilities.
    Vodafone 2 - Nokia E50 (€249) / Nokia E61 (€349)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advise. I'm thinking of buying a new phone to use specifically for internet browsing as the one I currently have only has WAP and doesn't allow me to browse the sites I want. I would prefer to get a Nokia but could be persuaded otherwise. Any suggestions? All info. would be appreciated.

Are you bill pay or pay as you go? Remember the data charges will be very steep.

The E61 is a great phone and for €20 per month you get 50mb, it also has WiFi built-in so you can browse for free using any available hotspots.

The iMate Jasjar (XDA Exec) is also 3G and WiFi, looks like a mini laptop and has a 640x480 LCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

i recommend the o2 xda mini s ,
    the keyboard makes a big difference.

apart from that most phones will do full browsing if you install opera mini.

skearon wrote:
    Are you bill pay or pay as you go? Remember the data charges will be very steep.

The E61 is a great phone and for €20 per month you get 50mb, it also has WiFi built-in so you can browse for free using any available hotspots.

The iMate Jasjar (XDA Exec) is also 3G and WiFi, looks like a mini laptop and has a 640x480 LCD

With which provider can you get 50mb a month for €20?

• Advertisement

validis_ wrote:
    i recommend the o2 xda mini s ,
    the keyboard makes a big difference.

apart from that most phones will do full browsing if you install opera mini.

Are there any drawbacks/negatives about installing opera mini on a phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

With which provider can you get 50mb a month for €20?

Vodafone with bill pay E61

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Go for a HTC Tornado!! Sold under the name v1240 on Vodafone or XDA IQ on o2. You can also pick one up on ebay for around 160-200 euros. It's based on Windows Mobile, but there's just soooo much you can do with it.. Wifi, edge, gprs, so you use full TCP internet. I think there's something like 20,000 applications working on Windows Mobile at the moment, eg most WM2002and WM2003 apps will work on WM5. Go for it!

I bought the E50 in the end, I only got it today so will let you know how I'm getting on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Interesting about the E50 with Vodafone
    Was that Ready To Go?
    They dont have it listed on their site although the E61 is there ages

I got it Bill-pay for €129, 100 min option for €29 p.m. with 15MB a month add on for another €15. But it was also available ready to go for €249.

Advertisement