Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

floor coverings with ufh

Options
  • 16-10-2006 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

the pipework is going down for our ufh this week. i know tiles are probably the best floor covering with ufh and i have heard lots of conflicting stories about timber floors.

anyone got any experience in this. i am looking at tiles for some rooms but am also considering laminate aswell. whats it like for letting the heat through.

cheers
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We have used tiles and engineered wooden floors throughout, and have no problems with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

We were told by many timber floor experts that it doesn't work with ufh so we put rads where we wanted solid wooden floors and uf in all tiled, stone and marble areas. Works brilliantly. One timber floor man told me that in his 30 yrs experience no ufh works with timber as it doesn't conduct the heat. He said take a wooden handled saucepan and place it on a cooker and the handle never heats up. Don't think I would use laminate either as a bro in law has terrible problems with laminate rising and he doesn't even have ufh. Having had laminate in a previous house I don't think that it would work well with ufh heating it all the time. It's pretty flimsy and I don't think semi solid would work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

have UFH and semi-solid oak and works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have solid pine and UFH and it works 100%
    If wooden floors stop heat so effectively , why do people bother fitting roof insulation made from foam or glassfibre? Surely it would be simpler and cheaper to just fit some timber flooring to your celing and all the heat will be trapped?
    Seriously timber flooring doesn't stop heat, it may slow the effect of the heat rising but it cannot stop the heat.

Advertisement