Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Protecting a car against the weather etc...

Options
  • 16-10-2006 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

I just baought a new car. I have to leave it outside as I have no garrage. It is secure but I want to protect the body as best i can from weathering effects etc...

Apart from a good waxing is there anything else that I can do to protect the body/windows etc...???

Thanks for _any_ advice.

Mhaire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Buy one of those car covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Waxing isn't going to protect it. You need a good synthetic sealant, preferably one that can be put on in multiple coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Skyuser wrote:
    id go with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Skyuser wrote:

Sure these are a good idea in the winter, will they not keep the car damp and full of condensation under the cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Check out the back of the latest car buyers guide, I remember a seeing a company selling full covers, may have even been the inflatable type. Will check it later and post details.

Actually, just reread, only suitable for storage not for everyday use. Sorry..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I use "Klasse All in one" - do a google search to find out about it

"Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is a highly concentrated acrylic formula glaze for new cars and oxidation-free surfaces. High Gloss Glaze provides an additional protective layer over the All-In-One with an exceptionally brilliant mirror-like shine.

High Gloss Sealant Glaze creates an elastic, non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant - protective seal against ultraviolet rays, salt water, acid rain and industrial pollutants for up to 12 months. Use this glaze on all paints with or without clear coats, glass, fiberglass, Plexiglass, plastics, metal surfaces, enamel, tiles, Formica and all non-porous surfaces. It is anti-static, non-abrasive and contains no ingredients harmful to paint, metal or plastic."

I import it, not sure if you can get it here - Although if you need a little PM and I may be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

yeah i bought a clio brand new in 2000, and wanted to keep it in the garage at first, never bothered though

6 years on and its still outside in the rain and it looks fine, your car won't rust and the rain.snow hail wont scratch the paint or anything, s don't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just wash and wax it regularly, that'll keep it best. And be sure to clean bird droppings off, as they can eat through the new water based paints if not washed off. Also avoid parking under trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Mayshine wrote:
    I use "Klasse All in one" - do a google search to find out about it

"Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze is a highly concentrated acrylic formula glaze for new cars and oxidation-free surfaces. High Gloss Glaze provides an additional protective layer over the All-In-One with an exceptionally brilliant mirror-like shine.

High Gloss Sealant Glaze creates an elastic, non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant - protective seal against ultraviolet rays, salt water, acid rain and industrial pollutants for up to 12 months. Use this glaze on all paints with or without clear coats, glass, fiberglass, Plexiglass, plastics, metal surfaces, enamel, tiles, Formica and all non-porous surfaces. It is anti-static, non-abrasive and contains no ingredients harmful to paint, metal or plastic."

I import it, not sure if you can get it here - Although if you need a little PM and I may be able to help
    Sold in Ireland by Smart Car Care, under the Car-Lack 68 label (the company in Germany who actually make Klasse for the U.S. Market).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Autoglyms "Extra Gloss Protection" or in the trade pack "Liquid Hard Wax" is a great sealer product. To be applied and left overnight somewhere dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement