Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tyre blowout - now weird noises...

Options
  • 16-10-2006 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Hey all
    I had a nasty blowout while driving the van (Vivaro) last weekend, rear tyre was ripped to shreds and cut right into the mudflap thingy. Apparently I had a flat tyre and drove on it for a couple of miles before the wheel rim must have cut the whole outside of the tyre off.

So I put the spare on (which is a bigger tyre :rolleyes:) and it caused the ABS and Engine warning lights to come on during the drive home. I've since replaced the tyre back to original size, had van back at garage and had the Error light problem clear up.

But now I am hearing all sorts of weird noises coming from that wheel every time I brake, its like its pressurized air escaping as soon as I press the brake pedal and its followed closely by a low rumble similar to the sound of worn brake pads. I presume brake pads are on front wheels, not back so I'm kind of at a loss as to what's up here.

Took it to Fast Fit to check alignment and they said it was pretty much ok but it still pulls to the left more than it did before the blowout.

I've crawled under the rear wheel (driver side) to try spot something off but no joy. Also, sometimes when turning a corner, I can hear a "spinning disc" type of sound from the same wheel. Apologies for the lack of motoring terminology but I've picked up some good info on this forum before about various motoring issues and I'm hoping yiz can chip in again ;);)

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its sounds like the rear brake disc could have been damaged/warped from the blowout, driving on the rim for an extended time. Maybe a wheel bearing has gone also from the strain of the tyre blow-out.

If you jack the rear of the van up, how free is the rotation of the rear wheel. Any binding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ongarite wrote:
    Its sounds like the rear brake disc could have been damaged/warped from the blowout, driving on the rim for an extended time. Maybe a wheel bearing has gone also from the strain of the tyre blow-out.

If you jack the rear of the van up, how free is the rotation of the rear wheel. Any binding?

Hmm will have to jack it up tomorro and check that out. I'm no expert but it definately sounds like its "disc" related especially judging by the sound. I just wasnt aware if there was actually brake discs on the rear wheels :confused:

Is this something a local mechanic could work on or would it need to go back to Opel stealer? Haven't had this type of problem before so no idea who would look after it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

I see the van is based on the Renault Trafic. Im sure its the same chassis, suspension on both of them. I checked the Opel site and it has rear discs as standard.
    There could also be a bit of tyre remains stuck between the brake pad and disc.

Yep its identical to the Trafic. I'm gonna take off the wheel again and give it a good inspection. Cheers for advice so far ;)

I might be back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I wouldn't be inclined to think that the brake disc was damaged by the blowout. The disc is protected by the wheel. The wheel bearing may indeed be damaged from the impact. The fact that you drove on a flat tyre may have caused further complications. It could also be suspension damage. Did you hit anything - a pot hole, speed ramp, kerb?

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote:
    I wouldn't be inclined to think that the brake disc was damaged by the blowout. The disc is protected by the wheel. The wheel bearing may indeed be damaged from the impact. The fact that you drove on a flat tyre may have caused further complications. It could also be suspension damage. Did you hit anything - a pot hole, speed ramp, kerb?

Nope it was a back road up in the arse end of Monaghan late at night so no other traffic around. I suspect the tyre went flat after I pulled out of a hotel carpark that had those poxy stones all over the place as a roadway.

Where would I get this kind of thing looked at??

Your regular mechanic/dealer would be the preferred option.

Right lads update, tried getting the wheel off but low and behold the bloody Tyre Fitter and his air gun made it an impossible task (I'm reading that other thread about tyes btw;))

But anyway, jacked the van up and managed to rotate the wheel but its not rotating freely. It makes a noise like a disc is rubbing along something steel and it looks as though the wheel doesnt spin properly (kinda rotating in an "oval" pattern if ye catch me drift)

Anyway, my instinct says wheel bearing but just hoping someone here can confirm??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Is it rear wheel drive? The odd size spare tyre could have bollixed the diff, if it has one.

M.

Don't think its RWD...but think there is brake discs on rear wheels.
    Only got the van last week and blew tyre on 2nd day!:o

• Advertisement

Savman wrote:
    (kinda rotating in an "oval" pattern if ye catch me drift)
    Weird. I'm thinking a bent stub axle but I don't know if that would cause the oval pattern. If the bearing is kaput you should be able to 'rock' the wheel on the axle and feel the movement.

Get it checked out, thats my advice.

Advertisement