Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting hit

Options
  • 16-10-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was down in Bray for quick road-biking route I do that's only 42km on Saturday.

Leaving Bray, after comign down the hill from the town, a lady basically cut right across me to take a left exit - no indicator, nothing at all. I went sidelined along with her as she turned and when she was directly out of the turn and could go straight, I of course had lost total control and fell over.

So she stopped 30-40m up the road when a pedestrian told her what she did and I basically said look I'm fine, but use the mirrors and indicated properly in future and left it at that.

However, I am wondering what other people do? Maybe I am just such a nice guy I don't scream at people but what is the normal thing? I got a few small cuts and the seat got twisted but nothing broken so i figured it's just an accident, they just happen.

Should I have reported her for dangerous driving to Traffic Watch? WHat do other people do? This is my second accident in 18 months. 1st was me getting my wheel caught in a luas track - I am pretty safe cyclist, wear all the gear and don't take risks zipping in around cars, etc., .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hmmm, I certainly wouldn't have been so polite to her. I would have taked her phone no. and reg no. in case there was any damage to me, my bike or any of my gear. Were you wearing a helmet? If so did it come into contact with anything. Even if I was 100% alright I would have got these details from her and been a lot angrier at her, hopefully that would have a lasting impact on her so she would actually use her mirrors and indicators in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Same thing happened to me a while back. Didn't get knocked over (she stopped just in time), her bumber did hit into my leg though. Just smacked the bonnet and flipped her off because she deserved it. Just do whatever you feel. Report it if you feel like it or just let it go. It's really your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

TrafficWatch (1890-205-805). No question in my mind.

Yesterday I saw a guy reading the paper while driving. I pulled over and rang TW. A few hours later the local station rang me and asked what I want to do: court or caution the guy. I choose court and I will make a statement next week. In the meantime the Garda will visit and speak with the driver. Normally I choose the caution option, especially if the Garda feels that the driver seems repentant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Garth Farley

I'd an accident about 6 months ago, where a woman in a parked car opened her door right in front of me, I'd no chance to swerve or brake in time. I hit the door and fell to the right onto another (luckily) stationary car - doing it damage.

Guards were called, personal details exchanged and so on. I was not badly injured (an impressive bruise) and my bike just needed the handlebars realigned, so all was okay. I've not heard anything since so I guess insurance covered the car I fell onto.

But best practise:
    1. Never admit anything, let insurance company judge (Gardai just take formal statement for insurance, they shouldn't judge.)
    2. Make sure you get the details of whoever hits you. At the time, with the adrenaline pumping, you may not notice any injury done to yourself. But afterwards, you might need medical assistence, and it ain't cheap!
    3. A formal Garda report is vital should anything go to court. Even just ringing up TrafficWatch saying how you got tipped by someone in a car with reg ... is a piece of evidence in case you've got to claim.

My 2c
    -GF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Hmm okay thanks for the advice. I suppose Traffic Watch would have been a sensible option, I just didn't figure they actually did anything like what someone said above (surprised me TBH).

• Advertisement
Advertisement