Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Over Heating & shutting Down

• 16-10-2006 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have my Acer Ferrari 3400 for about 2 years and I recently upgraded the BIOS.
    Since then, the laptop gets seriously hot(Can't even touch the undeside) while doing remedial tasks like watching a dvd/avi file.
    I am 99% sure the reason the laptop is shutting down is because of the heat.
    I'm not sure how responsible the BIOS upgrade is for this excessive heat though. It used to always get fairly hot, but the heat never actually caused it to shut down.
    The BIOS upgade was downloaded from the Official Acer website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Send an email to support and also if your somewhat techy go into the bios and check for any options that might have been changed by the update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

While I'd be surprised if it was the BIOS upgrade that caused the overheating, I'm no expert really... but something similar happened with my Toshiba laptop - after upgrading the BIOS (which, as it turned out, was just coincidental).

The problem was that the room I used the laptop in was more dusty than I'd realised and the cooling fan was sucking in a lot of dust and getting clogged, hence not cooling the system properly.

Also my DVD drive was faulty and was spinning too much (or something... not an expert as I said). To make a long story short, I got it sent away under the warranty and the Toshiba repair centre (BMS in Dublin, a fantastic bunch of wonderful fellahs indeed) replaced the cooling fan and DVD-RAM drive and at the same time gave the machine a general spring clean, cleaning out dust and bits of, er, food from the keyboard and so on.

It's been running perfectly since then.

Advertisement