Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking a Steak - Shanahans Style

• 16-10-2006 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm a big fan of steak.
    Even more of a fan of steak from Shanahans on the Green.

How the hell do they get those Steaks so damn tasty?

I heard they "broil" their steaks and allow the steak to marinate in its own blood for 24 hours.

Anyone got any tips on how to cook the "Shanahans" style steak?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Keyzer wrote:
    I heard they "broil" their steaks
    Which is American for grilling.

At a guess, they flame-grill.

and allow the steak to marinate in its own blood for 24 hours.
    Bit odd, but maybe.
    Anyone got any tips on how to cook the "Shanahans" style steak?

I don't know their style, but at a guess its gonna rely on :

1) Good quality, well-hung beef. Odds are you can forget anything you get in your supermarket - they rarely if ever hang beef long enough. If you go direct to your butcher, it'll still depend on how good he and his suppliers are.

2) High-temperature grilling. I remember seeing AWT going on about his steak-house grill at some point. The cooking temp he mentioned was, if memory serves, over 1000 degrees.

3) Resting time. With high-temp cooking, resting time is essential, allowing the heat to get from the well-seared outside to the inside of the meat. It also allows the fibres to relax, causing some liquid to be reabsorbed, resulting in a juicier and more tender steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Again, as bonky says, get a decent bit of sirloin, well hung is vital!

Allow it to come to room temperature. Rub it with some oil (garlic and pepper are optional) then lash it into a roasting hot dry pan. (my favourite is an oldfashioned cast iron one!)

You'll need to turn down the heat a bit unless you want it blue! But I turn it back up before I flip it over.

Let it rest for around 5 minutes too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

What's a good 'resting' technique - take the pan off the hob and leave it for a few minutes? Or move the steak to a warm plate and leave it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Warm plate or it will just keep cooking! Especially if you're using a heavy frying pan.

God, I'm starved now! Would kill for steak and chips and fried onions and mushrooms and a bit glass of freezin beer.....!

Advertisement