Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Winchester Magnum/WRF

Options
  • 17-10-2006 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Is there any difference between
      .22 Winchester Magnum .22 WRF

Or is it one of those things in shooting where the same item has more than one official name??? I.E. Can you walk into a firearms dealer ask for .22magnum for your rifle and be confident that if the box has either of the above titles on it, the rifle/barrel wont explode etc etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

22WRF and 22WMR are different, iirc WRF will work in a WMR chamber (bit shorter), but not the other way round. WRF is an obsolete round, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

They're different rounds.

I think it would be safe enough to shoot a .22wrf in a magnum chambered gun but wouldnt advise it.

THe differences are powder charge and maybe lenght of case but im not sure

A .22wmr will fire at approx 1900fps or 2100fps depending on loads
    A .22wrf will fire at approx 1400fps

Basically only use ammunition for which your gun is chambered in.

Winchester still make these rounds but there are very few of the guns around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Thanks lads info appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's a quick 'n dirty scan of the relevant page of Cartridges of the World: 10th Edition-
    22wrfwmrgs2.th.jpg

Advertisement