Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring attic - need to move water tank

Options
  • 17-10-2006 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

I am planning to floor some of my attic for storage purposes. However, the water tank is sitting right in the middle of the main full-height section of the attic, taking up a significant part of the best space.

There is plenty of room in the lower part of the attic to accommodate the tank, but I guess the builders stick it where it suits them best, without considering the waste of space it is....

Anyway, question is: how easy is it to move a water tank by 3-4 m ? I will get a plumber to do it, how much should I expect (roughly) to pay ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually the attic tank is directly above the hot water cylinder. I don't reckon there would be too much involved in moving it - I reckon the most big hassle is the confined space you'll be putting into. It also depends on how many pipes are connected to it for items such as electric showers and heating fillers/expansion tanks. But I reckon it would be done in less than a day.

The best thing is to get a few plumbers to call and have a look at whats to be done - that way you'll get a more accurate price.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

I am planning to floor some of my attic for storage purposes. However, the water tank is sitting right in the middle of the main full-height section of the attic, taking up a significant part of the best space.

There is plenty of room in the lower part of the attic to accommodate the tank, but I guess the builders stick it where it suits them best, without considering the waste of space it is....

Anyway, question is: how easy is it to move a water tank by 3-4 m ? I will get a plumber to do it, how much should I expect (roughly) to pay ?

Thanks

It's a DIYer
    If it's an old galvanised tank replace it immediately. If it's plastic definately a DIY job....Extending 3 pipes + overflow ?? ...1/2 inch feed to ballcock, 2 x 3/4 ( or 1 inch at worst) inch outlets near tank bottom. And 3/4 inch overflow.
    You don't have to drill tank
    You don't have to remove fittings connecting tank
    All you have to do is extend pipework by "breaking" a joint and "inserting" pipe section.
    You don't even have to meassure / cut pipe the exact length if you use plastic pipe(qualpex). BUT DON'T USE THEIR FITTINGS. Use standard compression fittings and MAKE SURE you use pipe inserts (plastic or copper(my pref)). If you're nervous about leaks you can use PTFE tape and Boswhite on joints...but there is really no need. You can change direction of pipe easily by breaking joint and removing all except the nut and change fitting body from straight to elbow etc. Keep number of joints to a min. You may have to use the odd pipe clip, especially on 1/2" cold feed if you get vibration when filling tank. Take care with overflow ..Avoid any narrowing of pipe / kinks etc and keep as straight as poss.
    Think the job first...and you'll see ...easy
    Get a few extra fittings...just in case you have to deviate from your intended run. They'll take them back, if mention when buying
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Thanks for the feedback.

House is less than 2 yrs old, so its a plastic tank.
    I don't need to extend the pipes, I'll actually need to shorten them, as the tank will be moving towards the hot water cylinder / showers etc.

To be honest, I think I'll get a plumber to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

To be honest, I think I'll get a plumber to do it.

I'm betting you don't like yorkies.

Just the pink ones.....hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Is the tank raised up or is it floor level? If you lower the height you will also reduce the water pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

Why don't you use the extra "give" in the pipes to gain height.
    Are the pipes qualplex? If so you may be able to do the whole job easily.
    Drain the tank and raise it by a few feet.
    It'll improve your non-mains water pressure.
    Make sure you take care of the overflow pipes also - there is usually one from the HWC unless its a pressurised system, and one to the outside world in case the ballcock on your tank misfunctions.

Ah, go on ... do it yourself!!
    Also, trying to get a plumber for a teenchy job like that probably wont be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

vallo wrote:
    Why don't you use the extra "give" in the pipes to gain height.
    Are the pipes qualplex? If so you may be able to do the whole job easily.
    Drain the tank and raise it by a few feet.
    It'll improve your non-mains water pressure.

Good point ---- I doubled the flow rate from my shower by raising the tank 3 feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

bowsie casey

If the pipes are qualpex, the job is even easier.
    Here's an idea.
    a) go to builders providers ( Not B&Q, Texas, etc...just to be absolutely sure you get Irish fittings...there's a difference above 1/2 inch size)
    b) buy the fittings you require and a whole bunch of spare olives and pipe inserts and a lenght of correct size pipe
    c) go into back yard and Practice. For every time you make / break connection you waste olive and pipe insert.
    Use big spanners (Abjustable wrenches will suit perfectly) Now deliberately overtighten it...no tighter than that...PLAY with it
    Build up your confidence...Don't foprget If you get it wrong you can add a little bit of pipe between 2 fittings...and you'll be cutting off more than you need to "fix" it. Just dopnt start too close to a wall if you can.
    Now get up that ladder ya wimp and stop whinging...LOL LOL
    All you lack is confidence
    t

Just to close out this story, I wimped it and got a plumber. I did assist, so will defo be able to do myself next time. It took the two of us about 2 hrs, most of which was due to the confined access to the new position.

I saw how connections were done, it's handy enough and I'll do in the next house.

Thanks for tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Bowsie,
    Might I suggest that you post a step-by-step description of what you did for the benefit of the rest of us? Unless it was more or less identical to the guide the previous poster put up ...
    Thanks!
    /M.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I second a step-by-step guide...

I have to replace my old tank also.
    Any advise where to get a good deal on plastic tanks?

TIA,
    WD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Manuel wrote:
    Bowsie,
    Might I suggest that you post a step-by-step description of what you did for the benefit of the rest of us? Unless it was more or less identical to the guide the previous poster put up ...
    Thanks!
    /M.
    I second that (or third it), I want to do the same thing as the tank & pipes are taking up half the floor space in my attic.

Advertisement