Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need an opinion on a laptop.

• 17-10-2006 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am getting a laptop and I think that this is a pretty good one what do yous think,it is a Dell Inspiron 9400 with an
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2.0 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB),
    1 GB ram, 80 GB HDD(5400rpm) and 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 HyperMemory graphics card.
    So is it any good for 1,370 euro.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

dont buy dell. honestly youll regret it so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

imo - that is a very very good laptop, and looks great value considering it is a Dell machine. i'd go for it - was looking at laptops a while back in pc world and that machine beats them for value imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

KamiKazi wrote:
    there is that, cust support is crap, but the laptop itself looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

KamiKazi wrote:

This kind of flippant statement really irritates me.

What are you basing your bias on? The fact that everyone you know who has a Dell has problems? I think not. Any manufacturer is going to have a certain percentage of machines that give trouble, Dell included. There are plenty of happy Dell users on this forum.

/end rant
    Otna wrote:
    So is it any good for 1,370 euro.

This depends on what you want to use it for. If it's basic surfing the Interweb, then a cheaper machine would do the same job.

If it's for games, I'm not so sure that graphics card would be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Otna

I was hoping to use it for a bit of everything, gaming, programming,3d modeling etc. so would it be good, there is an upgrade to a 256MB nVidia go 7600 but that cost an extra 350 would that be worth getting or is the laptop alright without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

tom dunne wrote:

There are plenty of happy Dell users on this forum.

I'm one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

350 extra for the 7600, not worth it. The 7600 is better then the X1400 by a decent margin but not a whole lot to justify that sort of crazy money.

For playing games, the X1400 is quite good. At current gen games - BF2142, Oblivion, Fear, you are looking at respectable 1024x768 resolutions with options on medium give or take a detail or too - a very good budget performer for the price.

Here are some pictures of games running on the X1400:

BF2142
    307us90.jpg

Oblivion
    Oblivion3.jpg

CS: Source
    untitled2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Otna

Thanks to all who replyed to my post they were very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Look at the same spec laptop in the Latitude range. Thats what I did when I got mine. 100 Euro more expensive for a little bit faster laptop with a 3 year business warranty instead of the standard one year.

Latitudes have better build quality than Inspirons aswell IMO.

Advertisement