Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show in Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

and no one mentioned Sharon Shannon and gang .... and the Cowboy song etc etc ......

They should be on every friday night .... :p

and Niall Tobin? ...... he's 77 years old ...... he's slowing down ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

I thought it was fairly decent. The intro obviously showed Limerick very well and there was no dwelling on anything negative. UCH looked great too.

Could definately have been better though. I probably would have preferred some kind of discussion between a few different politicians (maybe including the mayor?) rather than just Willie. I definately would have like at least a mention of the boundary extension. Of course Willie did come out with some classic quotes as usual - "being in Fianna Fail in Limerick in 1985 was akin to being a Jew in the 30's in Berlin". That's one heck of a comparison!

Niall Tobin was something of a poor end as well.

Overall, though, quite happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

dv wrote:
    I definately would have like at least a mention of the boundary extension.

Overall, though, quite happy.

GOD NO! If it was broadcast from Galway for example and they had a discussion about a Galway boundary extension, everybody in the country would turn it off. They needed something to interest the whole country and I think they did it fine.

GOD NO! If it was broadcast from Galway for example and they had a discussion about a Galway boundary extension, everybody in the country would turn it off. They needed something to interest the whole country and I think they did it fine.

I'm not saying a whole segment about it or anything but just some sort of mention within a general discussion about problems/issues in Limerick. There is a definite link to the situation in Moyross with 3 estates (I think) being in the county and the rest in the city, which is pretty ridiculous. Surely alot of things would be more straightforward if all of Moyross was in the one administrative region.

Obviously going on about rates from the Crescent Shopping Centre, on the other hand, would have been just plain silly...

I suppose they could have held the programme on Good friday and devoted the complete 3 hours to the boundry extension subject.... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I was also quite p****d off with http://TheLimerick.blogspot.com It was criticizing the guests "Sharon Shannon (Clare), Westlife (Sligo/Dublin) etc! So F**king What? When it's on in Dublin they don't just have Dublin Guests on. They said it was from Limerick but they never said it will have Limerick Guests. I'd love just to spite the people who are giving out, that they ripped the p**s out of the city because some people are just never satisfied.

The Late Late Show portrayed the city in a great light.

This was followed by Sharon Shannon, The Brennan Sisters and some half-wit that hadn't a note in his head singing "come Down from the mountain Katie Daly"

I absolutely loved that bit ..... bearing in mind the prog. is for a mixed audience, the old fella was a gem ..... :)

In fact I like it so much I've added it to my Youtube favs .... :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XXNvIMEH9Oo

After the great image of Limerick on the Late Late it was a pity listening to the Marian Finucane show on the radio this morning. They were back going on about the "horrendous" and "out of control" situation in Limerick. They made it sound as if the whole city is a warzone where people won't walk down O'Connell Street for fear of being shot. There are important issues to discuss but there's a difference between reasoned debate and something verging on sensationalism. They could at least have someone from or familiar with Limerick on the show who has an understanding of what's going on.

I know this is nothing new but it's annoying nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Not necessarily a shooting on O'Connel Street...

I was walking the dog yesterday evening around 7pm along Clancys Strand and the little feckers at the Treaty Stone were throwing bottles after me and then at the little park another group of little sh1ts were throwing another bottle after me and the dog.

You know, all those little things like throwing bottles after people and spitting on people (if you cross the bridge at Locke Quay to walk along the canal) in addition to the bigger things in three (!) parts of this city are creating an inmage of this place which is not that positive. I'm almost ready to leave this crap location. I'm sick of it watching whats going on behind me.

I think that this ASB is just the tip of the iceberg. What in 10 years if they grew older, being 25?

I never have lived in such a desolate place like Limerick. This is really, really sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was walking the dog yesterday evening around 7pm along Clancys Strand and the little feckers at the Treaty Stone were throwing bottles after me and then at the little park another group of little sh1ts were throwing another bottle after me and the dog.

You know, all those little things like throwing bottles after people and spitting on people (if you cross the bridge at Locke Quay to walk along the canal) in addition to the bigger things in three (!) parts of this city are creating an inmage of this place which is not that positive. I'm almost ready to leave this crap location. I'm sick of it watching whats going on behind me.

I think that this ASB is just the tip of the iceberg. What in 10 years if they grew older, being 25?

I never have lived in such a desolate place like Limerick. This is really, really sad!

I was down in Cork last weekend and while driving through Blackpool a stone was thrown at my car by little thugs.

Recently I heard on the news that on the M50 motorway in Dublin about 10 cars were hit with stones from a nearby housing estate. Most had damaged windscreens but it could have caused a major accident.

I don't think moving away from Limerick will solve your problem. Places like Galway, Waterford, Clonmel, etc all suffer the same, ASB is a nationwide problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Having lived in Limerick, Galway and Dublin and having half my family in Cork, I can confirm that that crap happens in every Irish city, depending on the part of the city you're in.

Not sure why you describe Limerick as "desolate" though, in what sense?

On the in 10 years time thing, most of the knackers I knew when I was 15 are all working at trades, or in Dell etc, than going around causing crime or ASB. Most people grow out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

Moving away is maybe a psychological thing.

Moving away is maybe a psychological thing.

Well it's always good to travel and see new places, I'm not ready to come back and settle down in Limerick yet either. Where else have you lived?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

dv wrote:
    After the great image of Limerick on the Late Late it was a pity listening to the Marian Finucane show on the radio this morning. They were back going on about the "horrendous" and "out of control" situation in Limerick. They made it sound as if the whole city is a warzone where people won't walk down O'Connell Street for fear of being shot. There are important issues to discuss but there's a difference between reasoned debate and something verging on sensationalism. They could at least have someone from or familiar with Limerick on the show who has an understanding of what's going on.

I know this is nothing new but it's annoying nonetheless.

It's not sensational, it's true.....

Have you ever been to Limerick, sonofsam, the entire city is not a warzone, indeed, most it is quite peaceful to the point of dull.

sonofsam wrote:

I'd like to counter your argument...but you didn't actually make one;)

Suffice it to say, there are serious issues in Limerick (no one's denying that), but the place is nowhere near as bad as the image that's out there.

22 years and I've had one incident of some drunken idiot trying to start a fight, and that's it. I know people have worse experiences but there are plenty of others who live in Limerick with little or no trouble and have absolutely no experience of the gangland terror apparently plagueing "stab city".

But who was the old fella who sang his heart out with "come down the mountain Katie Daly" ...... :confused:

well it was Dessie O'Halloran of course .... :)

dessie.jpg
    Dessie has become the darling of the airwaves and has toured with Sharon Shannon and her band 'The Woodchoppers', delighting audiences in places as far a field as London, Paris, New York and Washington.

And long may he continue ..... :p

Any chance the Limerick Blogger may be able to put up The Donegal Kid cowboy song (Jon Kenny) from the LLS, on YouTube? .....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

sonofsam wrote:

I'm not sure whether you're more pathetic, or sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

hobie wrote:
    Any chance the Limerick Blogger may be able to put up The Donegal Kid cowboy song (Jon Kenny) from the LLS, on YouTube? .....:confused:

I'll add it to my "to Do " list for the monday repeat. Someone on YouTube wants to see the Westlife interview as well.

I was running out of hard drive space towards the end of the show, so I had to "economise" on space.

note to self

Westlife Interview
    Donegal Song
    Munster Rugby song at the end.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure whether you're more pathetic, or sad!

Please, don't feed the trolls.

I'll add it to my "to Do " list for the monday repeat. Someone on YouTube wants to see the Westlife interview as well.

Thanks a million ..... :)

any news billy? ..... :confused:

How the heck can anyone say a 12 inch lizard would eat 250,000 (two hundred and fifty thousand) crickets in a week? :confused:
    (Late Late last night)

is it any wonder she didn't win the $$$$$ car .... :p

she needs to get a copy of The Donegal Kid cowboy song (Jon Kenny) and chill out ......

oh, and post a copy on YouTube please .... ;)

hobie wrote:
    any news billy? ..... :confused:

Yeah was unable to record it as we had a break-in on the monday night and was somewhat distracted.

we had a break-in on the monday night and was somewhat distracted

May I suggest something for the peeps involved ......

(perhaps in the new Bedford Row)

scan0006nh6.jpg

Advertisement