Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I differentiate between 6mm2 & 10mm2

Options
  • 17-10-2006 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

TWE when its already in installed and I can only see about 2 inches of it...
    Im guessing the measurements are the area of the wire, but which part?
    Using some rough maths the 10 = #rr
    so thats 10/3 = rr
    so the radius is about 1.75mm, giving a diameter of 3.5mm
    Is this the inner core (copper) or what part?

Is there anything else that would distinguish them?
    For example the wire Im looking at has twisted cores of copper, at what gauge does this start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

the best thing u could do to differentiate between the 2 cables is to go down to your local electrical shop and ask for 2 inches of 6mmsq and 2 inches of 10mmsq of cable and then compare, because its not easy to work it out by just looking.
    in 6mmsq cable the earth is solid in 10mmsq the earth is stranded, i think!!!
    btw do u mean twin and earth cable

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yeah thats what I was planning on doing (well I was going to go to B&Q with my snips actually)
    yep, TWE = twin & earth

they'll hardly ask ya for money. tight if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You'll know the difference alright !

10mm2 is a bi*** to work with

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah 6sq is alot easier to bend and work with, where as 10sq will fight back.

Reyman, try out some 16sq :)

• Advertisement

try connectin 4*240 swa

try connectin 4*240 swa

Are you in networks? Heavy stuff, I'd hate to work with that. :)

Ive only ever worked up to 75mmsq.

no not esb, we wire factories which require all those cables, glanding them is sometimes a 2 man job, pulling them could be a 10 man job lol. if u cut it too short u may as well go home and not come back.

I can just imagine the price for 1 meter of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Try bending 7x2.5 SWA, and you'll now all about fight back!!

• Advertisement

7x2.5 thats not that big, im talkin about a cable where u wouldnt put both your hands around it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

try connectin 4*240 swa
    Try getting it around a 90 degree bend in a duct under a concrete floor! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

well I spent a large portion of the weekend running some new 6mmsq from my CU under the floorboards to my kitchen
    I can safely say that I am glad I went with running a second 6mmsq rather than the single 10mmsq I was contemplating
    For the price if nothing else :eek:

Victor wrote:
    Try getting it around a 90 degree bend in a duct under a concrete floor! :D
    believe it or not ive been there feedin it in through the duct with the sock on the other end of the cable and a forks strugglin to pull it, i didnt think it would be possible though for a cable of that size to go through a 90 degree bend, it must of been a fair long bend

GreeBo wrote:
    well I spent a large portion of the weekend running some new 6mmsq from my CU under the floorboards to my kitchen
    I can safely say that I am glad I went with running a second 6mmsq rather than the single 10mmsq I was contemplating
    For the price if nothing else :eek:
    2 runs of 6sqaure is surely alot dearer than one run of 10square.
    sorry do u mean u ran to 6sqs to ure kitchen instead of the one 10 square?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

2 runs of 6sqaure is surely alot dearer than one run of 10square.
    sorry do u mean u ran to 6sqs to ure kitchen instead of the one 10 square?

I think there was an existing 6Sq. going to the kitchen, so I assume he just ran another 6Sq. rather than replacing it with 10Sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

believe it or not ive been there feedin it in through the duct with the sock on the other end of the cable and a forks strugglin to pull it, i didnt think it would be possible though for a cable of that size to go through a 90 degree bend, it must of been a fair long bend
    The real problem was it was under the floor several metres from the end of the duct. Strictly speaking it wasn't within manufacturers tolerances, so they must have greased it. :D

Advertisement