Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband Wireless Router Help

• 17-10-2006 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone here can help.
    I am getting out existing 1 MB broadband connection at home upgraded to 2 MB because there are 2 computers.
    It is with BT. The router is wireless, bhut the guy on the phone wanted to sell me an adaptor.
    What I need to know is this:

Could I use a wireless router if I bought my own and secondly what adaptor do I need??

Any advice is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Could I use a wireless router if I bought my own and secondly what adaptor do I need??
    Yes. Wireless routers are all built to an industry standard, so different brands interoperate.

The wireless router that BT supply also has 4 ethernet ports, so if the computers are in the same room, you can connect the computer to it with ethernet cables.

If you want to connect wirelessly, you can get a USB wireless adapter or an add-in card. USB adapters are usually a bit cheaper, but add-in cards have larger antennas (but can't be easily repositioned for better reception), and some add-in cards can be connected to an external antenna.

Here's a list of wireless routers to give you some idea of what's available. And here's a selection of Wireless adapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Excellent, I will have a look at them, so you reckon the wireless card would be my best option

Actually, can you tell me where is the cheapest place to buy them.
    Also am I correct in saying it doesn't matter which ones I buy?
    Would this router be sufficient?
    ebay.ie item number 320036893234

Excellent, I will have a look at them, so you reckon the wireless card would be my best option
    No, your best option is to avoid wireless altogether, and use an ethernet connection. When Wireless works, it's grand, when it doesn't, it's a pain in the arse!

I use USB wireless adapters, rather than a wireless card - they're a bit more convenient, and my computer is reasonably close to my wireless router, so I haven't needed an external antenna.

As for where's the cheapest place to buy, it changes from week to week. You can get deals on ebay, www.buyandsell.ie and adverts.ie, but obviously that's a bit pot luck - what's available today won't be next week. Some people prefer to walk into a store (www.nowafflecomputers.ie in Tallaght, www.marxcomputers.ie in Fairview, www.micropro.ie in Nutgrove, www.computerbits.ie in Strandhill, etc). Some people prefer to buy online.

The Netgear router you point to will work fine.

• Advertisement

The main connection and 1st computer is in the hall of my house & inside the lounge door, the second computer (my one) is upstairs. It is one of the first rooms upstairs. I would hope it should work. The thing is, even witout wireless there would have to be more than 1 ethernet connection on the router. BT only do wireless for more than one connection. So i decided I would go and tyr to get my own router that would do me over the years instead of BTs one.

what does "b" and "g" mean at the end of each of the descriptions of the routers and stuff??

Thanks

what does "b" and "g" mean at the end of each of the descriptions of the routers and stuff??
    802.11b is an older and slower standard. 802.11g is the current standard. 802.11n is a new standard that is expected to be ratified in the next year or two.

Some vendors are selling "pre-N" kit, but you should only get "pre-N" kit of you get the router and the adapter from the same manufacturer, ads interoperability between "pre-N" gear cannot be guaranteed.

So I need to get the "g" one, that is fine, I will update if need be.

Thanks again

Ok, I think I am going to buy the wireless gear tonight so.

Correct me if im wrong, all I need is the wireless router, this can connect to the main pc through the ethernet, then I get a wireless adaptor and stick it in the usb slot upstairs turn it on and *hopefully* connect to the wireless router downstairs. True, bob should then be my uncle, ya?

The router they gave me is fine but only one pc can connect to it as there is only one ethernet slot. Is there any way I can get 2 ethernet cables in there, no?

Ok, I think I am going to buy the wireless gear tonight so.

Correct me if im wrong, all I need is the wireless router, this can connect to the main pc through the ethernet, then I get a wireless adaptor and stick it in the usb slot upstairs turn it on and *hopefully* connect to the wireless router downstairs. True, bob should then be my uncle, ya?

The router they gave me is fine but only one pc can connect to it as there is only one ethernet slot. Is there any way I can get 2 ethernet cables in there, no?
    If it's actually a router, then yes, all you'd need is an ethernet hub or switch. With most DSL routers, you can enter the username/password on the roter, and don't need any software on the PC to "log in" to the internet. But if its just a plain "modem" it usually requires you to run some sort of client on the PC.

What make/model is it?

• Advertisement

The router/ box I have at home is a zyxel prestige 660, can I get 2 connections on it do you think?

The router/ box I have at home is a zyxel prestige 660, can I get 2 connections on it do you think?
    Okay, it's a router, so you could actually use something as simple as this. This would be even better.

If the two computers are near the Modem/Router, then this is the cheapest solution. If you need wireless, because one of them is in a different room, then you'll have to spend a lot more.

Foxwood thanks for that advise. The second computer is up stairs, however, they are only about 12 feet apart in total.
    What is that link you gave me, there is no picture with it.

Foxwood thanks for that advise. The second computer is up stairs, however, they are only about 12 feet apart in total.
    What is that link you gave me, there is no picture with it.
    It's just a 2 port ethernet hub. The second link (now that I fixed it) woud be better value.

If you need to go wireless, then this bundle would probably be your best bet. For €98 plus P&P, it will replace your current modem/router with a modem/router that has 4 ethernet ports and wireless, and includes a wireless USB adapter.

Is it just a case of that little box plugging into the existing ethernet port on the router?

Thanks for all you help foxwood

Is it just a case of that little box plugging into the existing ethernet port on the router?
    Yes. It'll plug into the single ethernet port, and "share" that over however many additional ports it has.

It looks like BCS computers in Limerick have ZyXEL, DLink and NetGear ethernet switches for under €23. If you can drop in and pick one up, it'll save you time and P&P.

www.bcsdirect.ie

Advertisement