Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband...help?!

Options
  • 17-10-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Eircom haven't and won't be providing broadband to our area so have to go wireless. Have picked up the following wireless ones on my laptop and wondered had anyone heard of or used them or know how to contact them please:

callidus.windmillhill
    ensign-net.windmillhill-b
    Blue-Skies1
    Dub1
    HollywoodAP!
    Rahandoon.sallins.link

Many thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Some of those look like they could be private wireless networks.

How about you tell us where you are so that you can be properly advised on what providers are working in your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

digiweb do wireless all over the country, There are usually other small wireless isp's around too.

Where do you live ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Eircom haven't and won't be providing broadband to our area so have to go wireless. Have picked up the following wireless ones on my laptop and wondered had anyone heard of or used them or know how to contact them please:

callidus.windmillhill
    Blue-Skies1
    Dub1
    HollywoodAP!
    Rahandoon.sallins.link

Many thanks.:)
    You won't pick up anything on your laptop from most commercial wireless providers. Go to http://broadband.gov.ie and have a look at what wireless providers it shows providing coverage in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thisgreg

hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on this, i live down a laneway in Sandycove (dun laoghaire) so think we might need to go wireless, anyone any suggestions or advice, it'd be much appreciated. I know i can get clear wire and irish broadband but havent heard particularly good things about either. Want it for Downloading, Browsing and maybe a little gaming. thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

thisgreg wrote:

i live down a laneway in Sandycove (dun laoghaire) so think we might need to go wireless.....
    Why does living down a laneway preclude you from getting non-wireless :confused: If you have a landline you can go DSL....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

had anyone heard of or used them or know how to contact them please:

callidus.windmillhill

Don't know know about the rest, but these belong to Callidus Telecom. Not sure where you are, but if you're picking these up on your laptop then you will have no trouble getting broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thisgreg

degsie wrote:
    Why does living down a laneway preclude you from getting non-wireless :confused: If you have a landline you can go DSL....

cool, i don't know a huge amount about it, but just thought it might be affected by that because, i know its hard to get broadband in certain areas and all of the broadband companies i've looked at don't provide to our specific area and it seems to be only the wireless companies that are providing to our area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

thisgreg wrote:
    i know its hard to get broadband in certain areas and all of the broadband companies i've looked at don't provide to our specific area
    If nobody provides it then you won't be able to get it. Getting DSL depends on whether the exchange is enabled, you're close enough to it and the line is of good enough quality. If your line fails the eircom line checker then you probably can't get DSL.

Check the broadband link given above to see if there are any wireless services in your area. Note though that it tends not to be that accurate where wireless services are concerned.

Advertisement