Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis Verso, Brake Disc Issue

Options
  • 17-10-2006 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

A friend recently bought a new Avensis Verso. He has noticed after less than a fortnights driving that there is a grove etched onto the rear brake disc.

He pointed this out to his dealer who reckons it is a normal 'issue' on Avensis' (what the hell is the plural of Avensis?), he also told my friend that it will clear up by the time the first service arrives.

What are your thoughts on this? I think it is B.S. Originally I figured it could have been a pebble, but there is no noice, and it would want to be one tough pebble to do that kind of damage in a few days. Also, if it was a forgien object, why would the dealer not just point that out?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Sounds like a defect in the brake pad material, or less likely a defect in the disc. It *could* go away untreated once the hard portion of pad wears down, but it more probable that a nice little ridge will grow around the middle of the disc, and ruin any future pads that go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Groove out of nowhere is unusual alright, but aside from cosmetic, it's no harm. The wear on the pad will adapt to it. Oh, as as the groove is cut into the disc it won't ruin future pads (my back left disc has a similar ridge for several years now).

I'd say he could insist on getting the rear discs replaced under warranty if he really wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

probably caused by foreign object though. unlikely to get replaced if it's not out of the ordinary

Advertisement