Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

petrol or diesel

Options
  • 17-10-2006 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I am about to buy a new car - probably a skoda octavia.

What are the pros and cons of petrol v diesel.

i would probably do ->10,000 miles per year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

I moved from petrol to diesel lately and I'm really glad I did. Saves me a fortune, but then I do 20k+ miles per year.

Besides the savings though one of the other benefits I love is going to petrol stations soooooooo much less often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Use Search. This has been discussed/argued to death here many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pros:
    • Obviously better fuel economy than a petrol.
    • Better resale value than a petrol even with higher mileage.
    • More torque than a petrol so less shifting of gears.
    • Diesel engine is more durable than a petrol engine.
    Cons:
    • Diesel engine car costs more to buy than petrol equivilant.
    • Diesel engine usually is a larger capacity than the petrol version so motor tax is higher.
    • Insurance may be higher on the diesel depending on what you buy and who is insuring it.
    • Diesel probably needs the oil and oil filter changed more regularly than a petrol but not really a big expense these days.
    • Diesel engine a bit noisier than a petrol especially when at idol.

Advertisement