Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Fruit can I give my Dobermans?

Options
  • 17-10-2006 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I saw a video of a doberman eating an apple on you tube and he seemed to be enjoying it but wondered is it safe for them to eat apples or other fruit.

I am afraid to give them anything now outside their dog food as someone says or I read on the net that its bad for them. Even the dog food itself has to have the right ingredients so its all a bit of a mine field.:rolleyes:

When I think back to our poor Jack Russell terrier who lived for years on only bread and milk. He often went shopping himself though into town. One day he arrived home with a leg of lamb. :o :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would not give them entire portions of fruit, but I give my two west highlands small bits of pear, banana and apple every now and again and it seems to have no adverse affect on their health, certainly the vet has declared them in good shape after years of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As long as it is given in moderation, you can give a dog almost all fruit or vegetables with the following exceptions:

grapes and/or raisins / sultanas ....poisonous to dogs
    raw onions and or garlic are also poisonous in larger quantities

And definetly NO chocolate (though that is not fruit anyway) !!

Apples are good and raw carrots also make a nice, chewy snack.

Most of the raw fruit or vegetable that you give your dog will come out the other end in the same state as it went in ...so keep the quantities low and there should be no problems and no diarrhea either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Another plan gone awry - they won't even touch apples, pears or carrots - obviously not fruit n' vedge types.:rolleyes:

Now if we are talking concrete plaster that's a different matter. They seem to be able to smell where any bit of concrete was ever mixed and then proceed to dig through the grass to get to it and then eat it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, dogs are funny animals - mine try to eat their own hair after we cut them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Another plan gone awry - they won't even touch apples, pears or carrots - obviously not fruit n' vedge types.:rolleyes:

Betcha they'll eat it if they see you eating it first ...:D :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement