Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paisley says No again

Options
  • 17-10-2006 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Rev Ian Paisley has once again pulled out of the talks up North --
    What is it with the folk up North , I thought we had all moved on --
    Maybe if they all sat around some relaxing pub sparked up a spliff , and had a few drinks, they could loosen up a bit and see some good in each other !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

paisley is a maniac.
    i couldnt give a flying toss about the north anymore, when its discussed on tv, i change the channel. they all act like children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Sure, they all moved on, but don't forget what happen to Mr X's granddad and so on and so forth.

I have no time for people who are filled with hate, and thats all Paisley is. A hate monger, he's a throwback to darker days and should be put out to pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

these talks were never going to get anywhere,sinn feins refusel to acknowledge the PSNI was always going to stall the talks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I honestly don't understand why anyone gives a sh it about the North. As long as they're not shooting each other all the time, let them argue forever for all I care. The whole province should be sawn off and floated out to sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have a feeling it will all be resolved at the eleventh hour. The threat of losing their salaries will spur them on in the end to reach an accomodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

if not now, he'll pull out later over something else, he doesnt mind direct rule, and it would be like a victory for him, because sinn fein doesnt like direct rule

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I actually started to have a little respect for old Dr P this week in that maybe, just maybe he might be willing to compromise a little bit to move things forward.

Even when the issue of Martin McGuinness and the oath to back the police came up this morning I still held out a little hope. I mean I can see where he is coming from on that one, not that I can agree with him.

Then later today they throw another issue into the fold and it looks like they are just making excuses again.

bounty wrote:
    if not now, he'll pull out later over something else, he doesnt mind direct rule, and it would be like a victory for him, because sinn fein doesnt like direct rule
    Indeed, he doesn't mind direct rule from Westminster, but what about when Leinster House starts to get it's say. That is what seems to be on the plate from Blair and Ahern if this all goes Pete Tong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Maximilian wrote:
    I honestly don't understand why anyone gives a sh it about the North. As long as they're not shooting each other all the time, let them argue forever for all I care. The whole province should be sawn off and floated out to sea.

Exactly, after all these years I'm just so unbelievably apathetic to it all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It's not so much a 'no', more of a 'no comment'

It looks as though things will be sorted out, actually; I'd be more positive about it than I have been in the last 8 years... at the moment Sinn Fein have all but accepted the PSNI, it's just about timing now. I can see where the DUP are coming from too, it's odd to have McGuinness as Deputy 1st Minister despite a lack of pledge for the police, I do wonder if SF could organise an Ard Fheis in such a short space of time though, even if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Paisley has no interest in sharing power with catholics/nationalists in the long term. He is using the idea of power sharing as a bargaining chip to bring Sinn Fein in line (which is fair enough). But the chances are they'll share power for a small time and then find yet another pathetic little excuse to pull out of government and bring it all down. He wont share power because he's sectarian at heart. Not all the DUP are that hardline though, so when Paisley moves on there will be a more stable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Quite a few people by the looks of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rooshter

I think most people just expressed their apathy?

I actually feel sorry for Bertie and Blair having to pretend like they give a sh*t too. As if they haven't got other things to worry about... Iraq, "Bertiegate" (haha), EU expansion. interest rates... than to be pandering to the these children up there!

"Yeah lads, 150 people died in a suicide bomb in a Baghdad marketplace today, but we'll try to make your tea party, to intervene in your school girls fight about the wording of some irrelevant document which no one is going to sign."

Get a grip, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

can martin mcguiness not declare an oath to northern ireland rather then the UK? or what is he being asked how can he decalre an oath to an organisation that could and has thwarted and will screw with legitmate democratic work towards an united ireland.

I don't believe this thread. Anyone who says they don't care about the North clearly didn't live through the times I did, can't remember the Hunger Strikes, the bombs at Enniskillen and Omagh, the slaughter at Frizells Fish Shop and Greysteel, the dark nights at places like Milltown Cemetery and Loughgall. I remember them well. I think it is the most important issue on this island. I don't expect all to share my priorities, but to me it's a hell of a lot more important than traffic jams in Dublin or zoning in Lucan, or whether there's a leak in a port tunnel or we have to pay a few more cents for petrol. Yeats had it spot on about the fumbling in the greasy till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Malone

A lot of people have no idea of Irish history.What has happened in the six counties since partition is a direct result of British miss rule.What sickens me is when so called Republicans in Fine Gael and Fine Fail who say Michael Collins,De Valera,Pearse, etc are heroes for fighting against the Britsh (who(killed thousands of people) but call people who fought against the British in the 70s,80s and 90s as terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I don't believe this thread. Anyone who says they don't care about the North clearly didn't live through the times I did, can't remember the Hunger Strikes, the bombs at Enniskillen and Omagh, the slaughter at Frizells Fish Shop and Greysteel, the dark nights at places like Milltown Cemetery and Loughgall. I remember them well. I think it is the most important issue on this island. I don't expect all to share my priorities, but to me it's a hell of a lot more important than traffic jams in Dublin or zoning in Lucan, or whether there's a leak in a port tunnel or we have to pay a few more cents for petrol. Yeats had it spot on about the fumbling in the greasy till.

Well said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

can't remember the Hunger Strikes, the bombs at Enniskillen and Omagh, the slaughter at Frizells Fish Shop and Greysteel, the dark nights at places like Milltown Cemetery and Loughgall. I remember them well.

Its probable ..maybe as high as 70% probable with the benefit of hindsight .... that none of those things you describe would have happened if none other than Paisley himself had fallen off a cliff around 1966 and broken his bloody neck .

More than any other individual else he incited and started the troubles in 1969 . I suppose he is about to reactivate his Third Force again is he ????

From that 1981 article.
    (The Then NI Secretary) ....warned that the government would not allow "private armies" to take over from the police and the army. But during the Newtownards rally, British troops were conspicuously absent and the police kept discreetly to side streets, leading to concern that the government would not be able to contain the "third force."

He never saw the irony in what "Third Force" sounds like in a thick Antrim accent either but he does not do irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I don't remember and I don't care either, just like the majority of Irish youths. All we see are petty, bigotted squabbles and want no part in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Paisley is always going to look for excuses not to share power and to force direct rule and I seriously doubt big Ian is too worried about losing his ministerial wages. The police question is only a matter of timing. Sinn Fein know paisley will put up a barrier so they just offer him the barrier and then conveniently take the barrier down at the last minute, leaving paisley looking for more straws to clutch at.

I expect SF will accept the PSNI and put the ball back in Paisleys court. Unfortunately this is the way things are done up north. Expect conditions from hardline unionists, then play along and give them an excuse to pull out before making a "concession" at the last minute. Always a game of cat and mouse but if SF had of accepted the PSNI from the start then there would just be something else Paisley would use as an excuse. At least this way SF can control the outcome.

As much as I dislike SF they do actually play the game quite well north of the boarder when it comes to forcing movement from people who are staunchly opposed to moving, or failing any movement from unionists, SF always work it so as the unwillingness to move is coming from hardline unionists and not SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

It boils down to the fact that paisely is a fu*kin rascist.. full stop.. and his son is one too.. assholes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Orange69 wrote:
    It boils down to the fact that paisely is a fu*kin rascist.. full stop.. and his son is one too.. assholes! :D

I don't think a smiley lessens the impact of your statement.Anyway we don't know he's a racist for sure.Any evidence?

Heil Paisley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9uHhLe6WE0

This man makes me sick...

And i put my smileys in all my posts cuz im happy :D

There is a couple of funny definitions of ian paisley on urban dicionary too.. i love the internet :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dr.+Ian+Paisley

The guy who tried to put up a realistic definition got 30 negative votes..ha ha..

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Orange69, if you've nothing useful to contribute, don't bother, thanks.

Sangre wrote:
    I don't remember and I don't care either, just like the majority of Irish youths.

The day Irish youths should dictate the agenda on political matters is the day Paisley and Adams should debate the merits of Diesel jeans versus Levis and the best solution for acne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The day Irish youths should dictate the agenda on political matters is the day Paisley and Adams should debate the merits of Diesel jeans versus Levis and the best solution for acne.

Maybe you are on to something there... Perhaps if Dr. Ian and Gerry had been dedicated followers of fashion and, dare we say it, a bit more appearence conscious like many yoofs today seem to be there would have been less violence in NI.

Maybe Dr. Ian and Gerry can go play with their xboxes and we can round up a few yoofs to take their places.

Given your last post saying that we shouldn't forget... blah... blah.. don't know what it was like, I was there man.. I was there... blah... blah.

Don't you think Irish "youths" should be taking more interest in politics, the history that shaped them and what they can do to change them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's a typical Paislely/DUP tactic to throw a spanner into the works. They say something will fail...THEY make it fail...and stand back and say "I told you so". These obstacles which Paisley keeps pulling from up his slieve will keep on coming. First it was pictures of the decommissioning, then it was ignoring the IMC, now it's ridiculous oath to the rule law and order and a hugely discredited police force (who are likely to be damned in reports on collusion). Once SF have negoited this latest obstacle, the DUP will be looking for disbandment of the Army Council and then getting the IRA to hand over all their money. This will be quite ironic considering the UDA who, while still murdering, drug dealing and racketeering, are asking for £30million to disband.

The situation would actually be laughable but Paisley's antics will mean uncapped rates for Northern Ireland householders, increased water charges and continued sectarianism and racial hatred. The man is all about hate. I just wish some of the laws which put away Abu Hamza on charges of inciting murder and race hate were applied to Paisely. So much for him asking people to swear oaths to the forces of law and order.

Advertisement