Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paisley says No again

Options
2»

Comments

ballooba wrote:
    Given your last post saying that we shouldn't forget... blah... blah.. don't know what it was like, I was there man.. I was there... blah... blah.

So, to make your point that we should value the youth more, you respond with cynicism and a 'blah blah blah'?
    ballooba wrote:
    Don't you think Irish "youths" should be taking more interest in politics, the history that shaped them and what they can do to change them.

Frankly if civilians being shot and bombed within the past 10 years on this island doesn't grip the imagination, is it worth bothering?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

So, to make your point that we should value the youth more, you respond with cynicism and a 'blah blah blah'?

Well perhaps I shouldn't stoop to your level, but your comment wasn't exactly helpful either.
    debate the merits of Diesel jeans versus Levis and the best solution for acne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So Paisley has pulled out of talks with Sinn Fein just because Adams refuses to sign-up to Policing and Law & order before going into Government!
    well isnt that just a disgrace on the part of the DUP :D

ArthurF wrote:
    So Paisley has pulled out of talks with Sinn Fein just because Adams refuses to sign-up to Policing and Law & order before going into Government!
    well isnt that just a disgrace on the part of the DUP :D

Actually it's McGuinness they are concerned with at the moment, given his (past?) position in the IRA. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The day Irish youths should dictate the agenda on political matters is the day Paisley and Adams should debate the merits of Diesel jeans versus Levis and the best solution for acne.
    I think my vote begs to differ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

There'll never be any resolution in the north so long as Paisley is leader of the biggest party there. This guy calls himself a minister of the church, a man of God. To go around openly preaching hatred of another religion and other peoples belief systems in his rabble rousing cermons is certainly not what I would consider a man of God, far from it.

It seems to me hes blinded by pure hatred for half his fellow nordies and nearly all his fellow southies.

This guy and his bigoted old ways need to be kicked into touch, and let someone younger and more progressive with less of a chip on the shoulder take charge. Until then the North will NEVER see its own parliament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sull

ballooba wrote:
    Actually it's McGuinness they are concerned with at the moment, given his (past?) position in the IRA. ;)

Explain, please? "They"? In what way do you think that Martin McGuinness' position might be more of a cause for concern that, say, Gerry Adams'? what do you mean by your use of the word "past"? There are an awful lot of glib and obviously very poorly informed posts on this thread. Whatever you think you have every right to think, but at least back it up with some kind of rational argument.

Conor74 was very right. The northern issue is fundamental to Irish politics, however frustrating that may be, and an understanding of it is essential for anyone who purports to engage in political debate in this country. this "i'm alright jack" attitude is something natural to most societies but seems to be pervasive in Ireland particularly. This "social responsibility" craic that most of the parties are peddling at the moment would, to a logical person, seem to suggest a challenge to that attitude. But it is clear that "social responsibility" is required most from those who have got least from that society they are supposed to hold sacred. It is an excuse to "condemn a little more and understand a little less".

I am sorry to have got on my soapbox but really it annoys me when people make such silly, empty pronouncements and sweeping dimissals.

sull wrote:
    Explain, please? "They"? In what way do you think that Martin McGuinness' position might be more of a cause for concern that, say, Gerry Adams'? what do you mean by your use of the word "past"? There are an awful lot of glib and obviously very poorly informed posts on this thread. Whatever you think you have every right to think, but at least back it up with some kind of rational argument.

They being the DUP. They see Martin McGuinness as one of the heads of the IRA, whether this is true or not. They don't want him as deputy head of government while he may have his own police force operating in certain areas. Gerry Adams is not of immediate concern because he will not be deputy head of government.

I use the word "past?" as it's not clear whether or not McGuinness is still a member of the Provos.
    sull wrote:
    Conor74 was very right. The northern issue is fundamental to Irish politics, however frustrating that may be, and an understanding of it is essential for anyone who purports to engage in political debate in this country.

Well Conor74 would be best advised to leave the insults to young voters out if he wants to be taken seriously.

Sangre wrote:
    I think my vote begs to differ.

Well said.

ballooba wrote:
    if he wants to be taken seriously.

:D

Conor74 knows that this is the world wide web and as such nothing should be taken that seriously anyway.

But either way let's make this thread less about me and more about the North instead and you can take up your thoughts on me through PMs.

• Advertisement

:D

Conor74 knows that this is the world wide web and as such nothing should be taken that seriously anyway.

Well what's the point in getting involved in a discussion if you don't expect people to take your viewpoint seriously. But at least we know where you stand.
    But either way let's make this thread less about me and more about the North instead and you can take up your thoughts on me through PMs.

Eh.. no. I'll leave childish behaviour like that to northern politics. I'll move on, just now I know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

There'll never be any resolution in the north so long as Paisley is leader of the biggest party there. This guy calls himself a minister of the church, a man of God. To go around openly preaching hatred of another religion and other peoples belief systems in his rabble rousing cermons is certainly not what I would consider a man of God, far from it.

It seems to me hes blinded by pure hatred for half his fellow nordies and nearly all his fellow southies.

This guy and his bigoted old ways need to be kicked into touch, and let someone younger and more progressive with less of a chip on the shoulder take charge. Until then the North will NEVER see its own parliament.
    I totally agree with this post, the man is nothing more than a bigot.

so you're using boards.ie to come out of the closet heh fred ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sull

ballooba wrote:
    Well Conor74 would be best advised to leave the insults to young voters out if he wants to be taken seriously.

Take it up with him.

i'm interested to know what exactly you mean by childish behaviour? do you think the whole thing is a playground quarrel, started on a whim? how would it be different do you think if the same set of circumstances were at play somewhere else? please don't be quick to dismiss. there is too much of that around. what is the point in getting involved in a discussion about northern politics when you have already decided that it is all ridiculous childish behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

as a northerner i feel fairly qualified to speak on this having lived through the last 26 years of hate and violence at home.

yes it was terrible etc etc but the changes in the province in the past 10 years are immense. I'm talking about on the ground, with the real people. Not the minority in the political parties or the small groups who cause trouble in certain areas. tbh, most of us donlt give a fiddlers about the whole republican Vs unionism battle anymore. Sure, we all have our views on it but we have more pressing worries.

Things like rising house prices, taxes, council rates, utilities, jobs for ourselves and families, attracting inward investment and more are top of our lists. We look at Scotland and Wales, and kinda want what they have, our own legistlative assembly. Making locally based decisions on our country, not to be ruled from afar, by London?Dublin in tandem.

Whats really needed in the north in my opinion (and others I've talked to) is a new political party. Not divided on sectarian lines, but an inclusive and non-religion specific party. Be that on the left or right, that has well formed and thought out policies in health, education, justice etc. I'm telling you they would clean up in an election.

sull wrote:
    Take it up with him.

i'm interested to know what exactly you mean by childish behaviour? do you think the whole thing is a playground quarrel, started on a whim? how would it be different do you think if the same set of circumstances were at play somewhere else? please don't be quick to dismiss. there is too much of that around. what is the point in getting involved in a discussion about northern politics when you have already decided that it is all ridiculous childish behaviour?

I'm not dismissing for a moment the politics at play in Northern Ireland, this is something you keep coming back to. I actually find the dynamics in Northern Ireland particularly interesting.

Everything has to be taken in the context of what has gone before. As a person who grew up in the south and being relatively young, I agree that I don't have a particularly full understanding of the context of what has gone before. So it may be harder for me to make sense of events as they unfold, but it definitely gets easier the more you watch.

Coming from the south it is easier to look at things from the outside because I have never had one view pushed on me in particular and I can see where both sides are coming from.

nurse_baz wrote:
    yes it was terrible etc etc but the changes in the province in the past 10 years are immense. I'm talking about on the ground, with the real people. Not the minority in the political parties or the small groups who cause trouble in certain areas. tbh, most of us donlt give a fiddlers about the whole republican Vs unionism battle anymore. Sure, we all have our views on it but we have more pressing worries.

Very good point, I spent a month in Belfast in August, mostly around Sandy Row and Falls Road. Not once did I feel unsafe (well, never to the extent that I needed a change of underwear anyway) or made unwelcome. I wasn't even aware from speaking to people what their political leanings would be. it simply didn't seem to be an issue.

ballooba wrote:
    Very good point, I spent a month in Belfast in August, mostly around Sandy Row and Falls Road. Not once did I feel unsafe

I felt like I was going to be lynched on Sandy Row. I know people who have been threatened and attacked there and had vehicles (with 'southern' reg plates) burned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

At least Paisley is getting the business done in a "Watertight" fashion this time, as Trimble was far too feeble in his dealings with Sinn Fein's Hardball negotiations.

The way I see it is that the DUP with 'Paisley at the helm' is driving a very hard bargain indeed' & why shouldnt he' considering Sinn Fein's past history, with the UUP!

Hopefully, Paisley & the DUP will drag Sinn Fein across the finish line next spring & they can "all" finally get down to 'day to day politics' (in English)? and the Provence can tick along nicely with just the ordinary day to day headaches like Sinn Fein constantly trying to 'Force' a United ireland throught the back door, or Water Rates, or crime (dont mention the police) .................. ;)

nurse_baz wrote:
    as a northerner i feel fairly qualified to speak on this having lived through the last 26 years of hate and violence at home.

Whats really needed in the north in my opinion (and others I've talked to) is a new political party. Not divided on sectarian lines, but an inclusive and non-religion specific party. Be that on the left or right, that has well formed and thought out policies in health, education, justice etc. I'm telling you they would clean up in an election.

Would the SDLP not come under that banner? Sorry if I sound like I'm being pedantic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement