Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn Direct

Options
  • 17-10-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Where do i start... Well for my first year renewal they send me a quote i went onto their website and got it for €600 cheaper.

Now i have a policy for third party fire & theft on a 1998 1.2 punto, i upgraded to a 01 brava same engine, on the web that should i get the quote for €1029 fully comp with 2 years no cliams bonus , but Quinn want to charge me an extra €500 euro for the next few months. They won't match the internet quote on my current policy,They even say i can cancel my policy for €50 and start the internet quote, so by paying them €50 now i save myself €500, are they stupid???
    Also they say they reason my premium went up is because i changed car, my girlfriend went from a 1.2 to a 1.4 and her insurance went down €500!
    I think i have found the contender for the most idiotic company in Ireland.
    Rant over.

Anyone else have a similar experience???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's the norm with insurance companies. Their quotes always seem to involve some sort of random number generator.

Motto is shop around, even through different means of contact with the same company, whether it be phone/call-in or internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Stark wrote:
    That's the norm with insurance companies. Their quotes always seem to involve some sort of random number generator.

thats crap although it might seem like that because of the wide ranging factors that are taken into account

quinn direct will in most cases give you the cheapest quote but they will also give you the least cover........eg dont expect car hire when your car is being fixed after an accident unless youv paid extra for it and other things like that

axa are probably the most expensive but they have the best options for making their policies cover a wide variety of things

so using the above two as an example youll save money with quinn but probably wont be happy with what happens when you claim and you probably wont be happy with axa's price but youll get the best service

hibernian are a little better than quinn but then as far as i remember they are a bit more expensive.......

moral of the story you get what you pay for

what was the original question?????lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I had to get a local TD to make them uphold a policy I bought on the net that they didn't want to honour. I was driving around for 4 weeks after paying on the internet for a policy and when I rang to find out where my disk was they said that they hadn't accepted the policy because I was too young/ car too powerful at the time. So basically, they had me driving around uninsured for a month, without thinking to ring me and tell me they werent gonna insure me.
    Local TD happened to be out canvassing and I told him about it; Two weeks later I got my policy docs in the mail.
    Every year my renewal quote is at least 20% dearer that what the online system spews out....I just call them and they give me the cheap price.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Where do i start... Well for my first year renewal they send me a quote i went onto their website and got it for €600 cheaper.

Now i have a policy for third party fire & theft on a 1998 1.2 punto, i upgraded to a 01 brava same engine, on the web that should i get the quote for €1029 fully comp with 2 years no cliams bonus , but Quinn want to charge me an extra €500 euro for the next few months. They won't match the internet quote on my current policy,They even say i can cancel my policy for €50 and start the internet quote, so by paying them €50 now i save myself €500, are they stupid???
    Also they say they reason my premium went up is because i changed car, my girlfriend went from a 1.2 to a 1.4 and her insurance went down €500!
    I think i have found the contender for the most idiotic company in Ireland.
    Rant over.

Anyone else have a similar experience???

Got first renewal quote from them a year ag. They wanted €1600. Checked on line got for €1300 but changed policy (they said I had but it did and caused problems with my NCB).

Just got second renewal 2 months ago. Their price €1000. Web price €850. A letter in the post 2 weeks later €825. Madness! Got the lower price but only after spending 2 weeks on the phone saying I got the letter with a cheaper price and then arguging over my NCB.

Past my test 2 weeks ago. Decided to go full comp. TOld there was €20 in price. They charged me €155.

Had a thing in consumer issues a while back. After next renewal I'll be moving on I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I heard from a few differant people that Quinn had given them a really low quote in the first year but then when their renewal came along it jumped up by a few hundred.
    The mentality behind it was if you could get say 10,000 people insured with your company @ €800 each, you would make €8,000,000 in premium & take business away from your competitors, therefore forcing other companies to reduce their rates to try & be competitive. Hence why car insurance has dropped in the last few years. I know expenses & claims need to be taken into account but that will give an idea of some companys marketing strategy.
    Hopefully this might stop silly comments like "random number generators" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I just don't understand why they don't just match the internet quote, its hassle for me and them if i end my contract and start a new one which i am gonna do.

Keith C wrote:
    I heard from a few differant people that Quinn had given them a really low quote in the first year but then when their renewal came along it jumped up by a few hundred.
    The mentality behind it was if you could get say 10,000 people insured with your company @ €800 each, you would make €8,000,000 in premium & take business away from your competitors, therefore forcing other companies to reduce their rates to try & be competitive. Hence why car insurance has dropped in the last few years. I know expenses & claims need to be taken into account but that will give an idea of some companys marketing strategy.
    Hopefully this might stop silly comments like "random number generators" :rolleyes:
    well i wasnt going to mention it but quinns business plan is unsustainable anyway

at the moment there is more premiums than claims so they can charge much lower prices because they arent getting (relativley speaking) as much claims this atmosphere changes every 5-10years so basically when this aatmosphere changes (predictions say next 4 years) quinn will either have to drastically increase their prices or run at a loss thiss compared to say axa(just who i happen to have experience with) are more expensive now even though there are less claims however when the change somes around they wont have to increase their prices the thinking being they are working on long term averages while quinn work on short term extremes

sorry thats a bit ot

the reason they dont want to match the net price is because it is just that a discount for you booking on the internet which saves them however amount in wages becasue whereas 3/4 people can manage the website they need 50/100 ppl in a call center so it is cheaper on the net because the overheads are cheaper

annoying for the customer but perfectly reasonable from a business point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

PeakOutput wrote:

the reason they dont want to match the net price is because it is just that a discount for you booking on the internet which saves them however amount in wages becasue whereas 3/4 people can manage the website they need 50/100 ppl in a call center so it is cheaper on the net because the overheads are cheaper

annoying for the customer but perfectly reasonable from a business point of view

Reasonable from a business point of view alright but when the quote is lower on the net from what you got quoted off them originally there taking two calls from you where as if they gave you the same price as on the net you'd be saying what nice people they are and telling all you boards.ie buddies how great they are. To be fair they do insure a lot of young provisional drivers but they need to pay the extra in 2006 (nearly 2007) youshould be able to log on retrieve your own quote (saving a letter being posted) and it be the same as you getting a quote on that day.

I had a japanese 1.3 mitsubishi mirage 97 and i got a 1.5 almera 02 rang when i was in the garage and they said my payments would drop by €12 per month for a car valued at 4k more and and a 1.5 now i know there's an extra charge for the mirage being a japo import but then when i went to collect the car 3 days later i rang swindle direct and they said my premium would drop by €34 a month

.... Who was I to argue with them!!!!

So I do think they have a random number generator and it spurts numbers out!

When my renewal comes if my renewal is not the same as the website there will be Trouble !!

premiums change from day to day say you are 17 and get a quote and you pay without question the renewals they send you every year(and dont change your car) you arent getting any reduction for your experience increasing etc your premium is only coming down because you are building no claims bonus

basically every time you get a renewal it is probably worth your while ring them this will make them recalculate with your details on that day and not the day you took out the insurance and more than likely you will get a reduction (on your premium)and then a further reduction frm your bonus (the percentage they take off your premium)

people dont understand how the prices work and this is alot of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yup exact same thing happened me - Got my renewal after 1 yr with them via post, went online and got 562euro cheaper, rang them up and they sent out a new quote

Goes to show you gotta shop around, even if its with the same company! :eek: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement