Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would People like to see Shamrock return?

• 17-10-2006 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

I always loved Ken Shamrocks run in the WWF during the attitude era. I thought he was great in the ring and the intense, most dangerous man on the planet gimmick, was always entertaning.

My question is, now that he has retired from UFC, would people like to see him have another run with the WWE, possibly smackdown. He's still in excellant shape.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

yes, i would like to see him come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I can't see why he'd want to. He could make more doing 4 or 5 independant MMA than doing a full schedule with the WWE at 42. Plus this year has made him a wealthy guy.

I can't see why the WWE would be that attracted to him either. Sure in 1996 he was "The worlds most dangerous man". In 2006, he's clearly not and he loses alot of the appeal he once had as a result.

In saying all that I enjoyed wtahcing him wrestle too and would n't mind seeing him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

i read a few of his interviews a while ago and he did say that he would consider coming back to pro wrestling once he was done with MMA........
    With Kurt gone from the WWE,the WWE could sure do with another guy that could kind of fill in the gap that kurt has left.Having a fighter like shamrock who has such a big name in both wrestling and MMA would surely be an asset to the WWE especially since his last run with the WWE went pretty well.So yea I would like to see him back in a pro wrestling ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I think I heard Ken say before that money isn't really an issue with him and he has never been motivated by money. I think Vince would still be interested in him, there is a tendency at the moment to bring back superstars who previously entertained and UFC is red hot at the moment so Ken's name would certainly attract people who may not have been watching wwe as of late.

I remember after angle was in WWF for about 6 months I staretd dreamin about a match between him and Shamrock and have always yearned for it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I remember after angle was in WWF for about 6 months I staretd dreamin about a match between him and Shamrock and have always yearned for it since.
    I was thinking of the the possibility of the exact same match(and huge rivalry) that could have been if he had retired earlier when angle was with the WWE.It had the potential to be HUGE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Shamrock back in the WWE

i would like to see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I wouldn't mind seeing him wrestle, but I don't think he has the name value he once had. He's only won one out of his last 7 MMA fights, and with UFC seemingly being WWE's biggest competition, I can't see Vince signing him. I can't really see TNA getting him back in again either

[QUOTE=Fozzy He's only won one out of his last 7 MMA fights, and er[/QUOTE]

I think thats the issue in all of this. He was a bad ass in 1996. He's perceived as a guy who should now just quit.

But to be fair to Shamrock, he along with Ortiz have been the biggest draw of any MMA/wrestling event in 2006 in America. 700000 buys.

I think shamrocks MMA record isn't a huge deal here, I think there are a lot of people who like Shamrock and love his never say die attitude. This is exemplified in the huge numbers himself and Tito have drawn over the last 2 fights.

Dan Severns record was better than Shamrocks upon his arrival, in fact he beat Shamrock at UFC 9 in '96, but he didnt draw at all in the WWF. I know it sounds cliche and corny but, Shamrock has that x-factor which fans connect with.

I will agree that I dont think TNA will bring him in. Thats something I actually think TNA lack in, the way they market and promote the arrival of someone like Ken (The recent angle arrival being the exception). Hell, they manage to get Ortiz to make appearences for them and that didnt create many waves. Could you imagine if Tito showed up on Monday Night Raw! I know TNA do alot of things better than WWE but in this instance I think WWE do a better job.

I think shamrocks MMA record isn't a huge deal here, I think there are a lot of people who like Shamrock and love his never say die attitude. This is exemplified in the huge numbers himself and Tito have drawn over the last 2 fights.

It was the natural dislike that each had for one another and how Tito and Ken channeled that into promoting a fight which made that such a big draw.

The only other fight I can think of in which Ken would be a draw is against Gracie.

Ken Shamrock lost his last 2 fights in a total of 3 minutes. A hell of alot of people saw it. And that damages his drawing power and crediblity of being a legit bad ass.

I'm not saying that brininging in Shamrock would n't have some value. He does have charisma. But he would have nowhere near the level of value he had coming in with in 1997.

• Advertisement

I understand the point you are trying to make Vince and to an extent I agree with it. I guess what I meant was that a lot of WWE's fanbase wouldn't be too in the know about his actual UFC record but would know that he is from UFC and he used to be the name joe public would associate with UFC. This is why I dont think he would work well in TNA because too many fans would be aware of his decline and in general are a smarter fanbase. In a nutshell I think Shamrock would go over very well with marks ( a term I don't like using) and there are certainly alot of them in WWE's fanbase at the moment. Hell, most people who have replied to this thread seem to be positive about a return from him and most people posting here would have a better insight into MMA then the average WWE fan.

I understand the point you are trying to make Vince and to an extent I agree with it. I guess what I meant was that a lot of WWE's fanbase wouldn't be too in the know about his actual UFC record

I disagree on 2 levels.

On the one hannd, the WWE audience of 2006 cannot be assumed to be the same one that watched in 1996. Its hard to meassure that but certainly Cena as an example has brought in an awful lot of younger viewers whereas many old school fans are long gone. So for a percentage of the audience, the name Ken Shamrock would mean nothing.

On the other hand, there is cross-over between those that like the UFC and the WWE. They are both targeting the same audience (males 19-34) and like I said before ALOT of people (as seen by the rating) saw Ken Shamrock getting massacred.

Again I think you'll meet very few "smart" wrestling fans that would be against seeing Shamrock returning. He's a good wrestler in my opinion and the WWE is n't exactly full of that on a week to week basis.

But in terms of his value to a company, I think its miminal. To me the average wrestling fan will either a. not know who he is or b. see him as a washed up has been (and i mean that with the greatest repsect).

From the figure four newsletter release today:

We are told that Vince McMahon freaked out when he heard how large the number was and started asking people to come up with ideas for Ken Shamrock if he brought him back to the company.

It is said that Paul Heyman had to explain to him that it wasn’t just Ken Shamrock that drew, but the entire Shamrock/Tito dynamic, the years of hatred, the build-up, the controversial stoppage in the second fight, etc. No word at press time on how serious any Ken/WWE negotiations might be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

to be honest I don't think Vince would sign him, back in 96 I think he was undefeated, now he has been defeated a number of times, be hard to give him the "World's Most Dangerous Man" gimmick again seeing how he was beaten 3 times (I think, maybe more). How could they put the strap on him seeing as he was defeated so often, might as well say that UFC is stronger that WWE.

Another thing is that in 96 Vince was trying everything to get over, I remember a PPV where the Big Show (I think) tapped out to Biker Taker in an Arm Bar, I think they were there to see how UFC could merge with WWE, they were booed out the building.

IMHO I think Tito would be a much bigger draw in the WWE now. On a slightly side note, there is a big difference between 96 and now, could you imaging Iron Mike being given the publicity he was given back then, I think that the WWE need to think up of something new, what they have has gone stale, time for a new direction, not a rehash of what has gone before

Advertisement