Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colcannon like my mammy used to make....

• 17-10-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

It's that time of year again - Curly Kale is back in the shops....the only problem is that I don't know exactly how to cook colcannon.

I know it involves spuds, curly kale, onions and butter....anyone got some tips on how to cook it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A quick google will bring you to any number of sites with decent recipes such as this one from Bord Bia:

Ingredients:
    1kg (2 lbs) potatoes, freshly cooked and mashed

250g ( ½ lb) kale, just cooked, drained and finely chopped, or bunch of scallions, (spring onions) finely chopped

Milk, butter, salt and black pepper

To Cook: Mix potatoes and kale/scallions together. Heat some milk with a generous knob of butter. Beat it into the potato mixture until smooth and creamy. Season well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I just thought I'd bump this thread from last year, seeing as it's once agan Colcannon season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Hmm, colcannon. One of the main reasons why I like October. I don't like onions or scallions in mine but loads of butter, some milk, salt and a good bit of pepper. Yum. And more kale and less potato.

And then a bowl of semolina for desert. Except I don't eat wheat any more. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Aaah, good old "boerenkool stamppot" :)

The Dutch are big into these kinds of dishes in the winter time, and have a few variations such as hutspot (carrots and onions) and versions using endive (a curly leaved, almost lettuce like variety, not the same as chicory) and my favourite, sauerkraut. They usually also mix in little pieces of fried bacon into it too. Usually served with a big smoked sausage (rookworst) and lots of gravy. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

oh yum, mashed spud, sauerkraut and bratwurst sausages are just the best comfort food around (after Colcannon that is!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement