Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okami = Zelda

Options
  • 17-10-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

I'm just over an hour into this game, and it's such a freakin ripoff of zelda. Not in a bad way, of course, but it's just really obvious how zeldaish it is. The opening story is told in a very similar fashion to wind waker, and you run around a cel shaded world complete with the little curly puffs of wind and dust from wind waker, with a tiny glowing companion who points things out to you while you smash pots everywhere you go :) Even the wacky wit and style of the humans in the game is very similar to zelda. Then there's the fact that you're a wolf, into which Link is supposed to be able to transform in Twilight Princess.

It's a really great game.

But it's not quite zelda :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hmm.... my kinda game.
    Feb 9th in Europe, though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Balfa wrote:
    I'm just over an hour into this game, and it's such a freakin ripoff of zelda. Not in a bad way, of course, but it's just really obvious how zeldaish it is. The opening story is told in a very similar fashion to wind waker, and you run around a cel shaded world complete with the little curly puffs of wind and dust from wind waker, with a tiny glowing companion who points things out to you while you smash pots everywhere you go :) Even the wacky wit and style of the humans in the game is very similar to zelda. Then there's the fact that you're a wolf, into which Link is supposed to be able to transform in Twilight Princess.

It's a really great game.

But it's not quite zelda :)

Woah! That's weird, after reading this i want to play Okami even MORE.

Stupid Euro dates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah it's only coming five months after the US release, much like FF10. Didn't you guys hear? We actually like delays :) In fact, just put the game back til I dunno , June or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

I think you're doing the game an extreme disservice by simply calling it a rip-off. Also, suggesting that they may have coppied the idea of the wolf from the Twilight Princess is utterly ludicrous. The game was being developed from early 2004, turning into a wolf inTwilight Princess was not revealed untill E3 05, if any copying was done, it was by nintendo!

The visuals are not simply cell-shaded like ww, the style of okami is that of a painting and for me, its far more stylish/beautiful than ww.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Er - anyone know what the story is with the Euro release of Okami now that Clover has been 'dissolved'? Still going ahead for Feb 07?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Stoichkov wrote:
    I think you're doing the game an extreme disservice by simply calling it a rip-off. Also, suggesting that they may have coppied the idea of the wolf from the Twilight Princess is utterly ludicrous. The game was being developed from early 2004, turning into a wolf inTwilight Princess was not revealed untill E3 05, if any copying was done, it was by nintendo!

The visuals are not simply cell-shaded like ww, the style of okami is that of a painting and for me, its far more stylish/beautiful than ww.
    Yikes, calm down. I'm not saying "ripoff" in the traditional negative sense. That's why I said "in a good way" right afterwards. I'm merely noting some of the vast number of comparisons one can draw between Zelda and Okami. I'm not trying to suggest that Clover are evil or anything.

As for cel-shading, it's just yet another similarity between the games, which is relevant because probably less than one in a hundred games this generation use cel-shading (in fact, two of the three screenshots on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel-shading are none other than Wind Waker and Okami). I'm pretty sure Okami is better looking (Zelda seemed too sparse at times), but I haven't played Wind Waker in progressive scan on my new TV yet, and it's been a really long time since I played it at all.

Like I said, "It's a really great game", and the fact that it's more like zelda than any other game I've ever played (just from my first hour playing it, the pacing, the progression, the whole feel, a little more confined but a little more polished) neither adds to or detracts from that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

still eager to try this.

playing a painting wolf sounds like great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

If it takes inspiration from Zelda - good. More games should.

Advertisement