Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Zafira - Good or Bad

Options
  • 17-10-2006 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Thinking of changing our second car (a Ford Puma 1.7) for a '99/'00 Opel Zafira. With a baby, the Puma isn't ideal and our main car, Peugeot 607, isn't always around for the other to cart the baby around.

So what's your thoughts on them? I think value for money you can't go wrong. The seating arrangments are great.

I don't know much about the diesels but I think they are probably slow and not that efficient.....old style diesel. I've my eye on a few 1.8 petrols which are very cheap. Any idea of MPG?

Any horror stories?

I believe they are not the safest cars on the road, but for the money.....you know...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

We needed a 7 seater last w/e and borrowed one.

Accomodation wise it was fine, but it was very slow when loaded up, and the ride was harsh. With the back row of seats in use the passengers heads were within inches of the back window.

Fuel was ok, but that was mainly 5th gear cruising.

With a baby a Puma isn't practical I agree, but you might not need a 7 seater either. I'd look at a C-Max or Touran or Scenic perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

a c-max or a touran will all be too dear. I'm not looking to spend much at all really. The scenics are cheap alright for an older one, but I don't know if I would spend the money on something that is known for breakdowns. Although I do know many people who own trouble free Renaults. So saying that, does anyone recommend a Scenic?

You are right though, I don't need a 7 seater, nor do I need anything powerful. I have all the power I need in my other car.

What's appealing to me in the Zafira is the ability to be able to make a large load area out of the back of it. I kayak a lot and there's nothing worse than changing out of wet gear in the cold and rain in to dry gear that only gets wet in the rain. So being able to change inside the car would be good. I'd like to not have to use the 607 for kayaking too....hard to keep a car well when doing an activity like I do. Plus the roof rack and big v-bars on the 607 look awful.

If we were to change the Puma, a lifestyle car is what I'd go for. A 1.8 Zafira could fit the bill or even a Scenic if the reports are good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

You have one baby and you want to buy a Zafira, I dont get it.

I would understand if you had three or four kids.

Zafira is good I like Opels, no I love them, My Astra is flying around, 1999 1.4 with 93k miles.

Would you consider an Opel Astra instead. It would be cheaper again than the Zaffy.

Ok Opinion on the Zaffy. Good all round car, cant beat it to be honest, good drive good performace for a people carrier. Try and get a diesel Dti though.

i know, you're right!

but as I said above, if I was changing, I'd want to bring in some extra potential which a smaller car wouldn't fulfill. Being able to use it for canoeing would be handy, plus it'd be great to be able to put the dog in the back. Our current car, we've to put seat covers on....pain in the neck. So that's why I'm looking for something with more versatility than a hatchback with 5 doors.

It's not that I need room for loads of people.....it's room for other things I'm thinking of.

Scenic's look to be as cheap as chips actually....hhmmm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Ah that explains that then.

Get a Zaffy GSi from England. Loads of Fun :D

Hyundai do a people carrier as well.

Then you have the Chysler thing.

• Advertisement

ha...a GSi would be nice...but I don't need to be adding to my fuel bill really, although I doubt I'd do 10k a year in this car so fuel probably won't be an issue. Ah no...the wife won't be on for it.

The Hyundai and Chryslers? naa.....don't need a warehouse...only looking for a shed....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AlanD wrote:
    Thinking of changing our second car (a Ford Puma 1.7) for a '99/'00 Opel Zafira. With a baby, the Puma isn't ideal and our main car, Peugeot 607, isn't always around for the other to cart the baby around.

So what's your thoughts on them? I think value for money you can't go wrong. The seating arrangments are great.

I don't know much about the diesels but I think they are probably slow and not that efficient.....old style diesel. I've my eye on a few 1.8 petrols which are very cheap. Any idea of MPG?

Any horror stories?

I believe they are not the safest cars on the road, but for the money.....you know...

Zafira is based on the 1998 - 2004 Astra. Avoid the 1.6 litre petrol as the body is simply too heavy for it.

Would you consider a Nissan Tino? Not as popular as the Zafira but they are practical, alot cheaper and have better standard kit. Based on the Almera so parts and servicing are not that expensive.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=468672

interesting....I never even heard of a Tino, so I must look it up.

To help clarify, I'm looking to spend somewhere between 5 and 10 grand. The closer to 5k the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a 1.6 06 Zafira. It's a company car and I'd no choice in the matter. That said I'm actually quite happy with it. I play in a band and the whole folding/sliding set up is great for carrying gear. Sliding and folding the seats is a quick and simple process.

Its not exactly the fastest ship in the fleet but for a 1.6 its ok. I had it in Scotland on holidays last month and it has no problem cruising at 100MPH. Comfort and ride is quite good. The interior is not bad but it lacks in a few places. The radio is not great, imo, not loud enough and no MP3/Aux in connection.

I don't know how the 06 would compare to a 99/00 model but I'm sure the differences aren't going to be too dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Been running a '02 1.6 Club Zaf for the past 18 months, sold it recently and now looking for a '03 or '04.

We are in a similar situation to yourself, one 3 year old and another on the way. Zaf is great for the missus loading up the pram as the boot is huge (As 5 seater, useless as 7) and no lip to lift over, but that could be argued of almost any estate car. The real boon is the height of the rear seat, which means there is no bending down putting kids in car seat.

Missus drives the car mostly and it is reasonably economical, the one drawback is the gearing on 5th. is quite low (so that it can pull the load if 7 are onboard) and this makes it quite harsh at 70 on the motorway. The gearbox in the 1.6 is a F18C (close ratio) you can put in the 5th. gear cogs from an F18W (wide ratio) and this makes for much more relaxed cruising. AFAIK the 1.8 has the same issue.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not get an Astra estate, much cheaper than the Zafira, and huge in the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

i think the Zafira is ideal for your needs.

if you just want cheap workhorse you could also try the Renault Kangoo. Cheap as chips and roomy. Sliding doors, practical load area, cheap to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

actually the suggestion of the Astra estate is a good one. I saw one at the weekend and was surprised how long it was. Its easily as long as a mondeo estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Had a 1.6 Zafira on loan for about 10 days last year. The most thirsty 1.6 I ever drove. Did about 32mpg, the same as my 2.0 Accord.

Advertisement