Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarification on Rifle Cert

Options
  • 17-10-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Can someone clarify if I can shoot birds and rabbits with my current Air Rifle cert, it says on the first line blah,blah "subject to conditions NONE listed below" and then outlines Conditions A,B and C, which I assume are standard on all licences.
    If I can, can someone give me a quick list as to what I can shoot with regards to birds, Ravens, jackdaws, magpies etc.
    I have had the licence for years but recently joined a range for my centrefire licence so am not sure if it is now designated for target shooting now only.
    Actually my centrefire is exactly the same.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

dbar wrote:
    Can someone clarify if I can shoot birds and rabbits with my current Air Rifle cert, it says on the first line blah,blah "subject to conditions NONE listed below" and then outlines Conditions A,B and C, which I assume are standard on all licences.
    If I can, can someone give me a quick list as to what I can shoot with regards to birds, Ravens, jackdaws, magpies etc.
    I have had the licence for years but recently joined a range for my centrefire licence so am not sure if it is now designated for target shooting now only.
    Actually my centrefire is exactly the same.
    Thanks

Legally i am not sure but I have shot magpies, crows, rabbits and rats with mine

I don't think you can shoot ravens with any firearm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Thanks Vegeta,
    Does your cert say the same thing?

my rifle license for the .223 and the air rifle are identical as far as i know so yup they'd say the same thing.

You cant shoot game birds with rifles as far as i know air or otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hi guys,
    Ravens are protected, so it's illegal to shoot them AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

when you say raven do you mean rook?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

maglite wrote:
    when you say raven do you mean rook?

A Raven and Rook are two different birds.Although they belong to the Corvid species[crow,grey hooded crow,jackdaw,magpie,raven,jay]The Raven is the biggest of them.They stand half again on a Crow in height and have a wider,broader beak than the Crow.Also they are a very dark blue black in color where a Crow is more gun metal blue.In flight their pattern is a very broad wing with ragged trail feathers.Crows are much tidier in pattern.The Ravens cry is also very distinct from a Crow,it is more a gutteral croak,or a honking caw sound.Also they dont generally nest in colonies like Crows,but are more solitary. A Rook is a old English for a common Crow.ASFIK they are protected,and are quite rare as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

A Rook is a old English for a common Crow.ASFIK they are protected,and are quite rare as well.

Not quite right! They're different birds - Rooks are Corvus frugilegus whereas the Crow is Corvus corone. There's an old saying in Wiltshire - One Rook's a Crow 3 Crows is Rooks! i.e. Rooks live in flocks but crows are solitary. Neither are rare in England but I never see many rooks up around Clones whereas Hooded Crows, Corvus cornix, are ten a penny and should be shot on sight!

George

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

vcsggl wrote:
    Hooded Crows, Corvus cornix, are ten a penny and should be shot on sight!

George
    Do you mean what I call "greybacks"....? They have to be one of the cutest
    birds goin, and I don't mean cute like a baby, they'll watch you comin from miles away, you need to be lucky to get many of them....

smallfry wrote:
    Do you mean what I call "greybacks"....? They have to be one of the cutest
    birds goin, and I don't mean cute like a baby, they'll watch you comin from miles away, you need to be lucky to get many of them....

yup i just call em grey crows.

Since i got the .223 i can shoot much more of em (when they are on the ground). I just have to decide is it safe for the shot (i.e. i know where the round will stop) and is each one worth the 80 cent a round price

with the air rifle it is much more of a challenge as I have to set up a hide and put out bait etc but the sense of reward is also great due to the effort put in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Get an owl decoy and a crow caller.The old style that you have to blow into.Work the caller from behind the blind and watch the Crows come in to do battle.All of them will,grey hooded,jackdaws,common crow.The absolutely HATE owls and birds of prey and will mob any bird of prey in their terrority.It is where a multi shot pump action or semi auto really can come into it's own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement