Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Eircom line for broadband - charges for cancelling?

Options
  • 17-10-2006 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi all,

If I ordered a phone line with eircom for the sole purposes of getting broadband on it and then the line didn't pass for broadband; what would the charges associated with cancelling this line be?

Cabling is in place, so connection would be free (according to eircom's website). Just want to know is it a small enough amount to cancel straight away to justify the risk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Cerdito wrote:
    If I ordered a phone line with eircom for the sole purposes of getting broadband on it and then the line didn't pass for broadband; what would the charges associated with cancelling this line be?
    It doesn't cost anything to cancel a line. It's a bit of a historic holdover - before broadband, why would anyone go to the trouble of ordering a line, and then cancelling it?

Note that the terms and conditions for the Free Connection offer does include this qualification:
    The offer is not available to PSTN lines ceased within the promotional period
    That could be interpreted to mean that if you cease the line before 28th November the Free Connection won't apply, and you'll be billed the standard connection fee. But it might also mean that lines disconnected after 28th August won't be reconnected for free (so you can't save 2 months line rental if you're on holidays by having your line disconnected while you're away).

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Well I have ordered a new line for the sole pupose of getting BB and if when they connect it I still cant get it then I will tell Eircom to ripp it out and get stuffed!!!! I have clearly stated on all emails and when I first ordered that it was for BB and I even got an email from them saying that BB was on the order and the ''technitians'' have been advised!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Hmm...that's what I thought, though there's no real concrete info on their website about this type of situation.

Worst case scenario that I can see is that they find some way to stick you for the standard install fee of €121.93

Dellas wrote:
    Well I have ordered a new line for the sole pupose of getting BB and if when they connect it I still cant get it then I will tell Eircom to ripp it out and get stuffed!!!! I have clearly stated on all emails and when I first ordered that it was for BB and I even got an email from them saying that BB was on the order and the ''technitians'' have been advised!!!
    It won't matter what you have in your e-mails. eircom doesn't sell "broadband guaranteed" phonelines, and have not committed to guarantee broadband on your new line, so there is no question on the "fitness for purpose" issue. You have entered into a contract for a voice line that may or may not be suitable for broadband. You'll be liable for any contractual costs associated with that installation, whether the line passes for broadband or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dellas wrote:
    That all means nothing unfortunately. No matter what Eircom say, they will not guarantee anything on any line except voice (and some pityful dial-up speed), even if you live next door to a BB enabled exchange. They are not obliged to by the regulator.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and the line test will take over 4 weeks so thats 2 month line rental to pay on top of the install but cancellation is free..... and if you have a chainsaw handy afterwards you can try to fix that line yourself with it :p

Foxwood wrote:
    It won't matter what you have in your e-mails. eircom doesn't sell "broadband guaranteed" phonelines, and have not committed to guarantee broadband on your new line, so there is no question on the "fitness for purpose" issue. You have entered into a contract for a voice line that may or may not be suitable for broadband. You'll be liable for any contractual costs associated with that installation, whether the line passes for broadband or not.

I have an email that does not contain any maybe or if's!! It is from a top manager in head office who has stated that it will be broadband enabled.

Dellas wrote:
    I have an email that does not contain any maybe or if's!! It is from a top manager in head office who has stated that it will be broadband enabled.
    It probably will pass for broadband. But if it doesn't, you'll still be contractually obligated to pay any costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Sponge Bob wrote:
    and the line test will take over 4 weeks
    does this 4 week wait for line test apply to reconnected lines or can test occur any sooner.. have a mate getting line reconnected for sole purpose of bb also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it may occur sooner but can take over 4 weeks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 102091101

mayto wrote:
    does this 4 week wait for line test apply to reconnected lines or can test occur any sooner.. have a mate getting line reconnected for sole purpose of bb also.

During my waltz with broadband , i got forwarded by help staff to a broadband manager in dublin , and apart from the grilling on who put me through to him and a sh1tty attitude , i convinced him to do an on the spot line test. you might not have to wait if you get in touch with the bband manager you were emailing.

You need to be one step ahead with Eircom, I havnt bothered to sign the contract yet and wont until I know if its BB or not. No signed contract equals no liability:) I wasnt born yesterday and I dont trust Eircom. They havnt chased me for the contract either, I think their admin is in a mess so they proberbly think I have sent it in ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dellas wrote:
    You need to be one step ahead with Eircom, I havnt bothered to sign the contract yet and wont until I know if its BB or not. No signed contract equals no liability:) I wasnt born yesterday and I dont trust Eircom. They havnt chased me for the contract either, I think their admin is in a mess so they proberbly think I have sent it in ages ago.
    Did you actually receive a hardcopy/paper contract to sign? I didn't think they sent out contracts to sign. Eircom installed phone lines in 3 different addresses for me and I never signed anything. I've also had BB with 2 companies and I never signed anything for that either.
    I thought it was the case that when you ring to order the call is recorded (as proof) and when the service is delivered the contract is complete.

Yep I got a line agreement to sign and have witnessed by someone I know and I retain a copy and send one back . It arrived 2 weeks after I placed the order. It had my account number and order number on it and the cost. Called Eircom today and they still have a predicted date of 20th October but this has changed twice already so Im sure it will change a few more times before I finally get connected and then can try to order the BB.

Advertisement