Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-varnishing Wooden table

Options
  • 17-10-2006 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Anyone have any experience of re-varnishing your regular wooden kitcken table?

Should I sand it down completely 1st and start from scratch, or maybe use varnish remover...?

Any ideas most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

mvpr wrote:
    Anyone have any experience of re-varnishing your regular wooden kitcken table?

Should I sand it down completely 1st and start from scratch, or maybe use varnish remover...?

Any ideas most welcome!

Depending on what timber it's made from, you could sand the bugger down and treat it with one of the wax finishes - I use BriWax quite a lot, but make sure you do it outside as the fumes are very strong. I think it's available in Stilorgan Decor and many other places...

Lovely finish, but not friendly to spills. There again you can always just lash on another layer of waz after a spill...

hc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Thanks Hughchal - I'll give that a go. Might pop down to Stillorgan decor and see what the craic is! All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try posting this in Woodcraft. The guys over there, especially Kadman if he's still around, can be very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

hughchal wrote:
    I use BriWax quite a lot, but make sure you do it outside as the fumes are very strong. I think it's available in Stilorgan Decor and many other places...

Lovely finish, but not friendly to spills. There again you can always just lash on another layer of waz after a spill...

hc
    Pure natural beeswax is much better than the 'beeswax blend' thats sold for polishing wooden furniture. Much more resistant to spills, hot things etc. And a small tub will last for years.

Advertisement