Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Population Density

Options
  • 17-10-2006 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭

This was discussed recently in another thread. I've worked out the density of each electoral division and applied them to a map.

For some electoral divisions in South Dublin and DL-R, I don't have the correct name - location, but its fairly accurate.

One serious problem is the assocation of medium density locations with large zero density locations, e.g. Clontaft East with Bull Island. Others are Howth, Lusk, Blancharstown, Clondalkin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Nice work, Victor. Very informative.

I was involved in that earlier discussion you mention. It looks to me like the yellow bits (only 1,000-5,000 people/sq. km) in the area "between the canals" (bounded on the northside by Infirmary Road) are mainly the areas accounted for by Grangegorman Hospital (just below "Cabra"), the Guiness Brewery, Heuston Station/The Royal Hospital Kilmainham and the core of Georgian Dublin (just below "City Centre").

Of those areas, I'd imagine the only one which is likely to see serious densification will be the brewery (eventually). Unless the plans for Grangegorman include large scale student residences as well?

The surprising thing about the brewery is that the London-based number-crunchers for Diageo haven't already sold it off lock, stock and barrel. (forgive me). It must be worth a fortune.

As for the other map, when did we get a causeway to Lambay Island?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Victor wrote:
    This was discussed recently in another thread. I've worked out the density of each electoral division and applied them to a map.
    Any chance of doing one for Meath?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Archeron

Really nicely done, thats very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

1,000 to 5,000 people per square km on Bull Island area, is that right?

Bluetonic wrote:
    1,000 to 5,000 people per square km on Bull Island area, is that right?
    that's the politicans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was involved in that earlier discussion you mention. It looks to me like the yellow bits (only 1,000-5,000 people/sq. km) in the area "between the canals" (bounded on the northside by Infirmary Road) are mainly the areas accounted for by Grangegorman Hospital (just below "Cabra"), the Guiness Brewery, Heuston Station/The Royal Hospital Kilmainham and the core of Georgian Dublin (just below "City Centre").
    And the South Docks and Broadstone.
    Of those areas, I'd imagine the only one which is likely to see serious densification will be the brewery (eventually). Unless the plans for Grangegorman include large scale student residences as well?
    I would hope so. Also note development around Heuston Station will improve that.
    The surprising thing about the brewery is that the London-based number-crunchers for Diageo haven't already sold it off lock, stock and barrel. (forgive me). It must be worth a fortune.
    It does have cultural value, if they sell off, they sell the family silver ware. Anyway they sold off bits to the Digital Hub, who sold off bits to ...
    As for the other map, when did we get a causeway to Lambay Island?:p
    Ha, ha. :p I was just associating the islands with their EDs.
    Any chance of doing one for Meath?;)
    Buy me the map. :D

For Bull Island see the map for the ED layout.

Victor wrote:
    That's a big file.. I have the same problem I'll be honest. I'm fairly good on what's what but on a detailed basis outside of Navan I am poor..

Where did you get the Dublin pop figures? The census?

That's a big file.. I have the same problem I'll be honest. I'm fairly good on what's what but on a detailed basis outside of Navan I am poor..
    The second one names all the EDs.
    Where did you get the Dublin pop figures? The census?
    Yes, I matched the 2006 population with the 2002 area. I've done blank maps for Meath and Kildare and can post them at the weekend.

Kildare and Meath (I don't know the exact details of town boundaries).

• Advertisement

Corrected map for county dublin and new maps for Limerick city, county and Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

why is bull island yellow?

why is bull island yellow?
    See above.

Every other part of the country, save Cork City (I don't have a map) and the centre of larger towns, seem to have densities less than 1,000/km2.

Map of towns and cities with their respective populations.

Remind me what the Western Rail Corridor will connect?

Cork, by ward, with guesses at the electoral divisions.

North Wicklow, not 100% on the boundaries.

Advertisement