Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV price cuts

Options
  • 17-10-2006 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Just seen UTV have wiped about a third off their broadband prices. Still kinda weird thought that if you include their 'Talk' package the prices are lower than if you don't. I'm on the 2mb but I reckon I'll upgrade to the 3mb which will only cost me €4.99 more than the old prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well it seems logical that if you do both phone and BB that it should be cheaper, this is true for BT also. The reductions are not that great, probably just reflecting the Eircom wholesale reductions, but the 2Mb is better.

Old
    1Mb/6GB €11.99 for the first 3 months then €18.99
    2Mb/12GB €11.99 for the first 3 months then €24.99
    3Mb/20MB €17.99 for first 3 months then €37.99

New
    1Mb/6GB €9.99 for the first 3 months then €16.49
    2Mb/12GB €9.99 for the first 3 months then €20.99
    3Mb/20MB €15.99 for the first 3 months then €34.99

The cancellation charge is still the same, in the first six months €59.99, otherwise it will cost €29.99 thereafter, but there is no connection charge for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any reduction is welcome.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Ah yes, of course - I dont have utv talk so I was paying €30 per month. If I get talk the only difference I'm told is that I will start a new contract and I will pay the €24 line rental straight to utv. Dont suppose there would be any disadvantages to that really?

Pity they could squeeze in a couple more GBs of capacity.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I had UTV Talk even before getting the broadband, it works fine, exactly as advertised and if you make a lot of landline calls in the evening/weekend it will save you a few Euro a month. UTV also have a UK/Ireland daytime package now too. BT is still cheaper, but UTV bills seem to be more reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is there a sales number for UTV? I can't find one anywhere on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

hmm. my statement still says 39.99...... these price cuts dont get passed onto exisiting customers? Think I'll have to chew someones ear off about this :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hmm. my statement still says 39.99...... these price cuts dont get passed onto exisiting customers?

Think I'll have to chew someones ear off about this :p

I was just wondering about this. In the past UTV have had a very annoying habit of not passing on price cuts without requiring the customer to sign up for an additional spell with them - are they still doing this?

I just checked my statement for Sept and the advance monthly charge for October is stated as €29.99.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

hmm. my statement still says 39.99...... these price cuts dont get passed onto exisiting customers? Think I'll have to chew someones ear off about this :p

To get the reduction, you have to log in to your UTV account and choose the new package.

I think dub45 is right, it looks like they are doing this because they want to force people to accept a new set of conditions. You are also tied in to a new "minimum contract period", no matter how long you have been a customer previously.

I think this was already the case, but if you wish to switch to a lower speed package, they also charge you a 29.99 "admin fee"!

From reading the Terms and Conditions, the differences I have seen so far are...

Minimum contract period is now 6 months (cancelling within this period costs e59.99 as mentioned above).
    After these 6 months, no matter how long you stay with them, you still have to pay 29.99 if you wish to cancel or move to another provider.

I'm not sure if there have been updates to Section 6, regarding "use of the service" - what you can and can't download, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Apart from the increased cap, and lower contention rate would speed on the 3MB be noticeacly faster than 2MB. Also does contention rate really matter?
    Is it only an issue if all 48 or 24 are on and downloading huge files at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Do people with UTV clicksilver also have UTV talk as part of their package or clicksilver only?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

i have both clicksilver talk and utv clicksilver..just noticed these prices today..

when i look at my personal utv clicksilverbroadband page..i go to new services and it says that i can upgrade to newer packages but down the bottom in capitals it says it seems that you have already upgraded to the new service..but this is the first time ive seen it..and how exactly do i upgrade to 3mb package from the 2mb..i cant see anything on my personal clicksilver page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Same here IgsTer and I'm on the 3Mb package.It's as if they don't want existing customers to avail of the price cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

On my account page I see the 3MB package is 36.99 which is the same as new customer who doesnt take UTV talk. If you take UTV talk its 34.49 but it seems you have to sign up again for Talk (new 12 month contract).

I would definitely move from 2MB to 3MB with lower contention and higher cap for 4.50 extra per month (29.99 v 34.49) but the way of doing it is not very clear.

On a side matter how can you be sure your line will take 3MB?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

im not sure whats going on :D

well i have the unlimted option already so i dont want to upgrade to 3mb for that..i just would like the extra speed but yeah potter im not sure, my line might not be able to take it so it might be a bit of a mess..

ill leave it til i get me new computer to upgrade if i am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

In order for existing UTV customers to avail of the lower prices we have to agree to another 12 month contract. This along with other problems I have had with utv have me out looking for a new isp.

carbsy wrote:
    Same here IgsTer and I'm on the 3Mb package.

It's as if they don't want existing customers to avail of the price cuts.

Now thats not really very nice of them is it?

A friend of mine looks after the ''broadband interests'' of an elderly lady who lives close by. She is with UTV on his recommendation and if fact would not have bb if it was not for him. She is in her late 70s loves bb but has not got the faintest clue of any of the technical side or of looking up her account etc etc she just wants to use the net. Now he will make sure that she gets the new price but there must be many similar cases of people who are oblivous to the latest price changes and who will not avail of them.

I am sure that the case I know of is not unique many posters on here often refer to looking after various aspects of bb for their parents etc etc. It would be very interesting to know how many UTV customers are on older rates due to UTV's apparent lack of enthusiasim for advising customers on the new rates never mind the total unwillingness to automatically pass them on.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Very true dub45 , makes me livid.I'll be on to them first thing Tuesday morning to claim my reduction!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

It seems to be a new 6 month minimum contract rather than 12, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Well if yis want a laugh im still paying 45 lids a month for clicksilver plus :mad:

Bambi wrote:
    Well if yis want a laugh im still paying 45 lids a month for clicksilver plus :mad:

Well its not much consolation but I doubt if you are the only 'victim' of UTV's silence on the cheaper rates available to it so called 'valued' customers.

Why not challenge them on this and ask they why they did not inform you that cheaper rates were available?

Pretty lousy treatment of customers and I have always hated this type of behaviour on their part and cannot for the life me understand how anyone can defend it.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Advertisement