Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye test costs

Options
  • 17-10-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently four eyed and I want to get contact lenses. I gather opticians charge for the eye tests needed in order to determine what grade of lense you need. Does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that doesn't?

Also, if anyone can throw up the websites which sell cheaper lenses in bulk, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Its €27 in specsavers so i wouldn't go there anyway!

Don't know anywhere that doesn't charge for an eye test. Unless maybe some public health place.

In specsavers theres a special test for lenses where they check for protein build ups and the curvature of your eye and stuff so its pretty important and specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I only got charged 19 in specsavers the last time i went. I don't know of any opticians that don't charge, particularly as it sounds like you aren't even going to buy the contacts from them...

www.getlenses.com do cheap contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I haven't heard of anywhere that does it for free, it's a consultation with a healthcare professional after all.. and it does take a while to do.

This is your eyesight you're talking about, and you're too cheap to spend 20 quid for an eye-test?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Vision Express charge 25 for a full eye test. I had mine checked a few weeks ago.

Of course, you should be able to claim this back on social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Awful Scut

eth0_ wrote:
    I haven't heard of anywhere that does it for free, it's a consultation with a healthcare professional after all.. and it does take a while to do.

This is your eyesight you're talking about, and you're too cheap to spend 20 quid for an eye-test?

The point is, I got glasses about 18 months ago in Spain. I don't actually need another eye test, but they will insist you undergo one regardless.

It's not a question of "being too cheap to spend 20 quid". It's more a reluctance to pay that or more for the privilege of reading a few letters off a board, especially when I'm going to be forking out God knows how much for their contacts shortly afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

18 months??? Your eyes can change a good bit in 18 months. Your sight can get worse or better in that time.

Depending on your eye condition, you should get your eyes checked every year to two years.

So, 18 months sounds like a very appropriate time to have your eyes checked again, properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Awful Scut wrote:
    The point is, I got glasses about 18 months ago in Spain. I don't actually need another eye test, but they will insist you undergo one regardless.

It's not a question of "being too cheap to spend 20 quid". It's more a reluctance to pay that or more for the privilege of reading a few letters off a board, especially when I'm going to be forking out God knows how much for their contacts shortly afterwards.

Well you obviously haven't investigated the use of contact lenses, if you had you'll know you have to be measured for them and you do realise that the prescription for lenses is totally different to a prescription for spectacles?

You suffer from an eye "condition" which can change. I was diagnosed as short sighted a year ago and I am going for a test as soon as I can because I know my eyesight has deterioriated a bit more.

If you had a medical condition, would you begrudge going to the doctor for checkups, if he was then going to get you to buy drugs that you need to manage your condition? It's the same sort of scenario really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

U prolly dont need either: why?

Read Harry benjamins book Better sight without glasses or contact lenses
    and u will see what I mean

It is in the local library and was written in 1929

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You can get it done for free on your PRSI

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

u have to have a recent sight test ie within 1yr, you dont so youl pay 27e for one, also ul need an asessment if uve never worn them before, the optician decides which lens is best for you, this is a fit- 32e, this includes a teach- (how to take them in and out), 1 years aftercare aswell, which is good considering ya pay 50e everytime u see a doctor!!! then after the yr it would be 20 euro a yr for ur annual check up. then the price of ur lenses, dailies 35e upwards, monthlies 49e upwards incl solutions... all prices based on specsavers!!!! ya can claim ur eye test back off prsi or social welfare, its not really worth your while claiming for contact lenses seeing as u can only claim once every year or two....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Although with glasses, the test is bog standerd, not so with contact lenses. With glasses, they are all pretty much the same shape. With contact lenses, they vary alot, depending on the shape of your eye. Not all eye's are round, you see. And the list goes on.

The test for glasses costs about €25, for contacts, aboout €45.

Advertisement