Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab 93 visual display fault

Options
  • 17-10-2006 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi there, I am the new owner of a saab 93. Its a 1998 2l turbo. I have read that it is a common fault with all saabs for the visual display unit to stop working. Has anyone idea if theis can be fixed or does a new ubnit need to be bought and if so where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Afraid so, it's common for individual segments to stop working. you would try a breakers or go to a Saab dealer. Dealer will be hideously expensive though. so try Traynors in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep colm is spot on here. This happened to every second Saab. Dealer will charge you an arm and a leg - about €400 3 years ago, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I thought this was only on the 95's but I could be wrong.

I only every went to test drive a 95 once and there was a big hole in the console and no display!

check honestjohn.co.uk parkers.co.uk and carsurvey.org

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, my boss has 2 5 year old Saab's (I think they're 93's but not certain), and both have segments of the display missing. Blaupunkt stereos used ot use similar type displays and had the same problems after a few years. I'd presume Saab have wisened up and use different display panels now

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ChoKuRay

thanks for advice on Saab problem. Forgot about Traynors. Have deal with them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just try to verify that the replacement unit isn't also faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Same thing happens to Vauxhall/Opel displays of the same vintage (particularly on the Omega and Vectra). I read on one of the VX forums of someone taking the display out of the dash (wasn't difficult), opening it up, removing the ribbon cable that connects the actual display to its circuit-board, and cleaning all the contacts. Was too bad a job, and it solved the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Good News Orla

Your Unit IS repairable.

I had the same problem earlier on in the year with a 00 Saab 93.

If you do a search on eBay.co.uk for "Saab SID" you will find a good few people selling reconditioned units and people that will fix them for you.

I used the fella on the link below and he was very good. Popped out the SID out of the car myself. Stuck it in the post to him. He repaired it and sent it back to me. He does it for £60 Sterling.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAAB-SID-UNIT-REPAIR-93-95-LIFETIME-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ140041358780QQihZ004QQcategoryZ10416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is another fella there now on eBay doing it for £45 but I don't know anything about him.

You can also download DIY repair instructions. I tried this myself and failed. Problem is that if you do try this and it doesn't work, you could make a complete f**k of it altogether.

Advertisement