Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSN-LUG? Dig or Diss?

• 17-10-2006 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

With LUG being set up in parts of the country, eg, North-West, thats great and all, but the problem is parts of the country without a lug, and all those mini-LUGs, it will cause problems, for obvious reasons....
    Maybe, this idea has been approached before, but my idea is to estabilish a competent LUG that will be based on MSN and will have meetings on MSN, that any1 in the country that has MSN/Yahoo and a keen interest in Linux could participate in "once-a-month meetings" on MSN where there would be a mass conversation?
    Is my idea silly? Would there be anyone willing to be behind me to support me with it?

Regards,
    nev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

MSN-Linux...lol

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jabber ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

IRC would be a lot better suited to this. There's an IRC server running on irc.linux.ie.

Though I definitly like the idea of it. Get some chatting done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Thanks for the responses so far. I just used MSN as an example and a practical idea because so many people nationwide use it. I do know of MSN not making a messenger compatible with linux, issues, etc. so Jabber or IRC are two very practical options...
    I'm glad to hear positive interest for it, and if anyone has any negative comments to make, post them here and/or PM me. I know there may be a few objections all round.

Thanks so far,
    NevF

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

hey nevf, sorry bout not getting back to you about the lug, RL is a bit hectic atm, can't get time to travel to mayo for meetings, i'll be adding the irc.linux.ie server to my perform list tonight though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

oscarBravo wrote:
    Jabber ftw.
    Seconded.

MSN ftl lol!

But IRC might be better suited for this specifically.

Is irc.linux.ie really necessary? Why not just setup a channel on freenode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

oscarBravo wrote:
    Jabber ftw.
    That would make a little more sense.

Even with GAIM supprt for MSN i still wont have an account(oudside work)

(Plus its broke in the stable version of gaim)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

declan_lgs wrote:
    Seconded.

MSN ftl lol!

But IRC might be better suited for this specifically.

Is irc.linux.ie really necessary? Why not just setup a channel on freenode?

irc.linux.ie is all ready setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

ok, let's forget the MSN idea. I knew the MSN idea was crap anyway...

so, i suppose it will be JabberLUG now....

Are all of you are behind me on this one, so I can start making a list of people and make a [very quick and] basic website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't understand what you're trying to do here.

#linux on irc.linux.ie is very active.

You have the ilug mailing list which is also very active and IIRC have monthly meetings.

It just seems a bit pointless, much like the boards lug.

• Advertisement
Advertisement