Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not recognising my computer

Options
  • 17-10-2006 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

hey,

i have a linksys router and i have 3 computers in my house and all of them are on the network. my dads computer is linked to the computer via ethernet and the other two are wireless. I've mapped network drives between the other two computers, but tonight i tried to share the printer connected to my dads computer across the network i couldn't connect to his computer and then i tried to ping his computer but it timed out. Do i have to set up a network using microsofts wizard or is it something else?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you are able to connect out to the internet on the laptop, then the network connection is fine.

Do you have firewalls on either computer? Are you using XPSP2? Are you able to see the shared printer from the other wireless computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

If you are able to connect out to the internet on the laptop, then the network connection is fine.

Do you have firewalls on either computer? Are you using XPSP2? Are you able to see the shared printer from the other wireless computer?

yeah the computer i'm trying to connect to does have nortons firewall and xpsp2. Actually all computers are running xpsp2, and no i can't see it from the other computer but i have shared it. Any ideas?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If the other computers only have XPSP2s firewall running, shut it down in the security centre in the Control Panel. (Later replace it with something half decent, but thats neither here nor there at the minute.)

In Norton, set it to allow all traffic on your LANs IP range (usually 192.168.x.1 - 192.168.x.254, do an ipconfig to see what x is). There may be an option on it to allow Network Neighbourhood traffic, or to allow File and Printer Sharing. Allow them if there is. This should let you see shared items on the computer.

Not sure where you would find those options, but it shouldn't be too hard to see them. Failing that, consult your manual to see where.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

thanks for your help dude i'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know if i have any problems:D

Advertisement