Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 645i CONVERTIBLE

Options
  • 17-10-2006 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Folks,

Currently drive an M3 convertible. Thinking about goin for a 645i convertible. Think the 6 series coupe is a bit ugly but quite like the convertible.

Thoughts everyone???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well to be fair you arent likely to get much user experience on here :) but if you like verts then the 6 is nice, personally id go for the coupe in grey but thats just me :)

lovely car either way

try www.bmw-driver.net/forum also

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Cyrus wrote:
    well to be fair you arent likely to get much user experience on here :) but if you like verts then the 6 is nice, personally id go for the coupe in grey but thats just me :)

lovely car either way

try www.bmw-driver.net/forum also

Would you prefer the coupe to the convertible??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

we had one in the garage for a while last year, it was a 645Ci convertible. Think they've dropped the 645 it's just 650 now? the I-drive was infuriating, the stereo was fantastic. the sound from the engine was nothing short of amazing, but the whole thing just didn't work. I didn't win me over the way I expected it to, I just found it a bit vulgar.

I've never driven the M3, but I don't reckon the 645 is that much better

colm_mcm wrote:
    we had one in the garage for a while last year, it was a 645Ci convertible. Think they've dropped the 645 it's just 650 now? the I-drive was infuriating, the stereo was fantastic. the sound from the engine was nothing short of amazing, but the whole thing just didn't work. I didn't win me over the way I expected it to, I just found it a bit vulgar.

I've never driven the M3, but I don't reckon the 645 is that much better

Vulgar?? Can you give more detail?? How did it drive??

For me the M3 is the best car I have had so far. It's even better than my brother's porche 911

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Strange to be spending 90k+ on a car and asking the opinion of a few strangers. If I was spending that I'd be making my own decisions!

• Advertisement

I'd be thinking SLK55 AMG as well......

I must admit I've never driven the nuts out of one, just regular, legal driving! it is obviously fast, and it seemed as taut as a coupe should/would be, but i didn't like the active steering that changes the gearing of the steering in proportion to your speed. that kind of annoyed me (maybe it'd grow on you) I also hated the noise it made every time you turned on the ignition, a kinda chord - don't know what it was for -just felt it was added on for the sake of it. the whole interior didn't do anything for me, I must add that the 5 series interior doesn't appeal either.

zuutroy wrote:
    Strange to be spending 90k+ on a car and asking the opinion of a few strangers. If I was spending that I'd be making my own decisions!

I know a bit about cars and always make my own decisions. However there are plenty of people on boards with good opinions to offer.

When you grow up some day you will realise the more you spend/invest the more advice you should take!

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'd be thinking SLK55 AMG as well......

Thanks but I want a 4 seater. If I was going 2 seater I would save up for a second hand ferrari 360!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Audi rs4 or porshe 911 I can understand people who buy the 6 series there are so many better cars out there

onemanband wrote:
    However there are plenty of people on boards with good opinions to offer.

Not with the class of car you're talking about, I'd wager.

• Advertisement

zuutroy's right, you've really gotta drive the car for yourself. It might be the perfect car for you. I personally think it's way overpriced - especially when you get into the options (I can't remember most of them now, but I saw the list and it was ridiculous by BMW standards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"new money"

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mike65 wrote:
    "new money"

Mike.
    I've never driven one, but I'd have to agree that it does have an unfortunate image. Rather more Four Seasons than Merrion Hotel, for want of a better way of putting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Personally I'd either go for the new version RS4 (maybe a one year old one or ex - demo), or else wait for the new M3

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I wouldn't buy a 6 series TBH. I'd go for the new 335i for '07, and then maybe switch it for the new M3 in '08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I know someone that bought one in sept 04 for €138,000 and sold it in March 05 and only got €89,000 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Sparks400 wrote:
    I wouldn't buy a 6 series TBH. I'd go for the new 335i for '07, and then maybe switch it for the new M3 in '08.

Yeah, the 3-series coupe is much more elegant IMO... The 6-series (to me) has a vulgar, slightly medallion-man image.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, I've been driving a 630 for a few days here, and the iDrive is most certainly not 'infuriating'. I always always break my ass laughing when I hear statements like this. When you buy a new Surround Sound System, do you expect there just to be an 'on' button? No, you have to learn how to use it. This is the very same as iDrive, but people become frustrated that they can't figure it out themselves. 20 mins with a Salesperson, or an hour with the Manual, and you realise just how intuitive it is. Guess what? BMW didn't spent all that money designing a system that's difficult to use ;)

Handling, the 6 is a dream. I've had extensive experience of the 630, 645, 650 and the M6. I've only driven a Cabrio once, and it was great fun. I would warn you about premium car depreciation, but as you have an M3, you're already in the premium car market. Power wise it's a treat, smooth, linear power, the seats are comfortable, and the driving position is fully adjustable, even for 6 footers.

You'll get the nay sayers repeating what they read in magazines. "Oh the Run Flats are noisy" ... "The iDrive is finnicky", guess what? These are reviews from 3 years ago. When you spent close to 100k on any car, it's damn good. Simple as that.

And before anyone else says it, yes I work in a BMW Dealership, and I am a little biased, but I know a good car from a bad one. And I will state my PERSONAL opinion on boards only.

colm_mcm wrote:
    zuutroy's right, you've really gotta drive the car for yourself. It might be the perfect car for you. I personally think it's way overpriced - especially when you get into the options (I can't remember most of them now, but I saw the list and it was ridiculous by BMW standards)

Mmmm, standard equipment on the base 630i SE is :

PDC Front and Rear with Acoustic, and a Radar screen warning system, Climate Control, Cruise Control, MFSW, Automatic Headlamps, Automatic Wipers, 17" Alloys, Tyre Pressure Sensors, ABS, 6 Airbags, Traction Control, Follow me home Headlamps, CD, Aux-in, Trip Computer, Leather, Front Foglamps, Auto dimming Interior Mirror, Heated Ext Mirrors and Washerjets, Chrome Exterior, Electrically Adjustable Seats with Memory Function, Xenon Headlamps, Hi-Fi Speaker System, LED Rear Lights, Headlamp Washers, Metallic Paint, Sport Steering Wheel, ISOFIX.

The only 'ridiculous by BMW Standards' options I can think of are a Heads Up Display (HUD), Active Radar Cruise Control, Night Vision, Widescreen SatNav, Auto Transmission, Active (Massage) Seats, etc.

Top advice all round folks. Was think about the 335i and saw one in the UK yesterday. Looks good but not great.

Definately want a cabrio and will not pay out for a new M3 when it comes out. Depreciation will be mental.

Hence thinking about a 04 645i cabrio with 10k kms which is currently Euro 88k.

Anyone know when the 335i cabrio will be available??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whats your budget and requirments and we'll all come up with some alternatives after scouring carzone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Emmm, M5!

onemanband wrote:
    Anyone know when the 335i cabrio will be available??

The car will probably launch in April/May, with the first arriving in June. According to Autocar anwyay.

steve06 wrote:
    I know someone that bought one in sept 04 for €138,000 and sold it in March 05 and only got €89,000 for it.

And the OP is calling it an 'investment'. With investments like that, it beats me how you can afford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

onemanband wrote:
    Would you prefer the coupe to the convertible??

Speaking from limited experience of that car:
    I really like the 6 series and thought the convertible was gorgeous. However, after being in one I found that tiny rear window annoying and thought that maybe the coupe would be the better choice if going for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah I have to say that I took a long hard look at the 6 series, secondhand, for future reference. My choice would've been a CL500 but I dont blindly follow the marque and the 6 is a well built car !

Anyway I just never warned to the looks, its a bit mawky but then I said that a bout the new 7 and then the 5 and now I really like both of them so I ignored my current gut feeling. I liked the idea of a larger 4 seat convertible but when I took a look at the 6 I really didn''t like the rear set up !

Also the coupe is not too bad looking but I really did not like the convertibles rear "flying butresses" and small window !

ned78 wrote:
    The only 'ridiculous by BMW Standards' options I can think of are a Heads Up Display (HUD), Active Radar Cruise Control, Night Vision, Widescreen SatNav, Auto Transmission, Active (Massage) Seats, etc.

As I said I can't remember all of them, I did remember a sunstrip (green portion onn the top of the windscreen) costing a few hundred, changing from the standard alloys to a different design but same size (from factory) costing a huge amount. there were others, but it's been over a year...

Advertisement