Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBand in France €15 per month for 20mB Speed ... Im Speechless!

Options
  • 17-10-2006 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

As a result of an Article in Mondays Irish Times by Conor Pope:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2006/1016/1160606654464.html

titled: Breaking the connection - What's the story with telecoms competition
    [ This relating to Smart and Eircom etc ]

Mondays LAST WORD on Today FM featured Ireland Offline representatives and Conor Pope in a discussion about Broadband and Comms in Ireland. Listen here, its at the start after the news:

http://www.radioireland.ie/lastword/16102006-16.wmv

The real eye openers are the number of Exchanges out of the total number NOT enabled for BBand. But the biggy for me is that Northern Ireland is on 8Mb, UK up to 20mB, AND AND AND for 20mB in France its €15 per month in comparison to around €39 for 2mb here. AND according to the interview our infrastructure as it is WILL NOT support these speeds.

SPEECHLESS ... break the silence, comments please!
    Aidan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

RIP-OFF IRELAND! uk is so cheap and thats only a few miles over the sea or northern ireland up d road. its shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

yes a complete disgrace , It amazes me how the govt allow "Errorcom" to get away with their dodgy business practices...even when unbundling comes in fully eircom will still be able to set the price high to keep them as the main players..

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Hmmm dont get me angry :mad: My sisters in London and my Dad's in France and they laugh at me here!!!! My Dad keeps complaining because all the rest of the family are on at least 8MB and have all their calls on Skype. Im still waiting for BB , it really is frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

aidanodr wrote:
    in France its €15 per month in comparison to around €39 for 2mb here.
    If you're going to do comparisons, you should do apples to apples comparisons.

Most people in France can't get 20mb for €15. Just as most people in Ireland can't get 6Mb for €35 (or 8mb for €34), but the products do exist. Hell, eircom even did a trial of fibre in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Foxwood wrote:
    If you're going to do comparisons, you should do apples to apples comparisons.

Most people in France can't get 20mb for €15. Just as most people in Ireland can't get 6Mb for €35 (or 8mb for €34), but the products do exist. Hell, eircom even did a trial of fibre in the last couple of years.

Hi Foxwood,

Dont shoot the messenger :) - I was just quoting direct from the radio interview at the above link. But your comment is appreciated

Cheers
    Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Came across a business in city today that are currently paying €6k per annum for a 64k leased line (YES - 64k) to Eircon, why would Eircon change if they are taking in this kind of revenue, and funny that the business in question have an Eircom account manager that never mentioned broadband to them even though they can get it !!! Funny that...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Foxwood wrote:

BUT France telecom (its not the one who supplies the 20Mbits for €15 product) had 96% population coverage for its ADSL last year and will have 100% of its exchanges enabled this year and uses ADSL2 which is a better technology in rural areas with long lines..

Eircom around here has enabled 40% of its exchanges so far, refuses to do the rest unless paid upfront (and even then it will take 2 years minimum) and had population coverage of at around 70% this summer and still uses old ADSL 1

Then again France is a technologically advanced country with a proper regulator so its not surprising is it ???

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Then again France is a technologically advanced country with a proper regulator so its not surprising is it ???
    Nothing about France every surprises me.

Pick your own emoticon there - just about any of them can be applied to this comment!

:D;):p:) :rolleyes: :o :mad: :( :eek: :cool: :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

techie wrote:
    Came across a business in city today that are currently paying €6k per annum for a 64k leased line (YES - 64k) to Eircon, why would Eircon change if they are taking in this kind of revenue, and funny that the business in question have an Eircom account manager that never mentioned broadband to them even though they can get it !!! Funny that...........

I have to say it is very hard in this day and age to have sympathy for a business that is so incompetent that they dont consider it essential to keep an eye on whats available out there.

And as for Eircom not telling them about options do your local supermarket tell you that some of their merchandise is available cheaper elsewhere?

dub45 wrote:
    I have to say it is very hard in this day and age to have sympathy for a business that is so incompetent that they dont consider it essential to keep an eye on whats available out there.

And as for Eircom not telling them about options do your local supermarket tell you that some of their merchandise is available cheaper elsewhere?
    DSL is not a "drop in" replacement for a leased line (even at 500 euro a month).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

Does anyone know the average price for BB in france?

Foxwood wrote:
    DSL is not a "drop in" replacement for a leased line (even at 500 euro a month).

Yes but the business in question could seriously benefit from broadband between sites using a VPN tunnel with much faster speeds.

techie wrote:
    Yes but the business in question could seriously benefit from broadband between sites using a VPN tunnel with much faster speeds.
    128k upload speeds minus contention and encryption doesn't make for much faster speeds.

There are applications for which an "it's not broken, don't fix" it solution, even at 500 a month, is the right solution. There are applications for which a 2 40 euro DSL connections and a VPN are absolutey the right solution.

One size does not fit all.

I have told the customer that BT offer a SDSL 2mb product for €275 per month which I will put a VPN solution over and that will vastly improve things for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

techie wrote:
    I have told the customer that BT offer a SDSL 2mb product for €275 per month which I will put a VPN solution over and that will vastly improve things for them.

Until you get a fault on the phone line and realise you have no service level agreement for the eircom copper...

Leased lines have their place, very very reliable and hefty SLA's in place. Your not just paying for your bandwidth.

The customer is aware of this but at the current speed it would be faster sending data via carrier pidgeon!!! :)

Lads,

I should say that the info about the times article and the Today FM interview came from two seperate messages at the Ireland Offline Board here at Boards. But I decided to join them together as they relate and also to highlight how we seem to be screwed now and way into the future with the alleged current state of the infrastructure.

Re the leased line - 64k, best argument is to look in France or Europe at their prices and compare. But 64k, secure and no contention, even with SLA - 6000 Euro per annum sounds alot and over the odds, I shudder to think the price of a 256k Leased line. AND if we are being done on the 2mb vs 20mb prices, I cant imagine the leased lines being too competitive either.

Fine, but first its that businesses tech department OR Tech advisors should be shot for not making the business aware of other options like what Techie mentions. Second - on a day to day basis - I work with businesses and computers and internet. The lack of knowledge re such issues is huge. Remember business owners may not be as tech savvy as you are, nor do they have to be or nor should they have to be. Lots of people out there glaze over when they hear tech - they just cannot grasp it. The sin is when they get completely ridden over the odds and abused because of there lack of such knowledge. And I know I hear ye saying - welcome to the open market .... mmmm all very nice isnt it!

Cheers
    Aidan

The most expensive package is with France Telecom but the package also includes the French verson of Sky TV .

Eur 34.99 per month for 18MB broadband and 800K upload. Also includes parental control package and all the other stuff like 5 email addresses, free modem with a 2 year gurantee. Email filter and free phone calls and line rental. So its an amazing price compared to here. Thats what my dad's on .

I wouldnt mind paying double that if I could get that kind of service here!!!

France is more technically advanced than here in some ways but they are always on strike and often bring the country to a stand still closing airports,train stations often with no notice. At least here they rarely do that.

Guys,

On the leased line thing please read?

http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/specials/wan/0,39021191,39116597,00.htm

Maybe the leased line thing should be opened up as a new thread - seems to also have caught the imagination :)

Any more of our 2mbps bog band vs europes 20mbps shiney speedy motor :)

Cheers
    Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Foxwood wrote:

At that price you could get a bitstream dsl 2048/256 and a metro 3072/256 as well and pay about €100 a month the pair and be able to suffer an outage.

Repeat at both ends of the 64k line and you pay €200 a month for minimum 256k . 400% more bandwith for 40% of the price .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The only dubious advantages of leased line is that you might get it where there is not DSL and it may give an uncontended connection to Internet. Also a leased line need not be anything to do with Internet.

You could have 2 way sat, metro and DSL all into a Cisco switch for automatic redundancy / more bandwidth.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve if Leased line vs DSL.

Leased lines traditionally in Ireland make even Eircom's extorionate LLU rental or retail line rental or even 2 way sat look absurdly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

France is more technically advanced than here in some ways but they are always on strike and often bring the country to a stand still closing airports,train stations often with no notice. At least here they rarely do that.

That is the exact reason they are so technologically advanced. While we sit back and take whatever we are given the French protest for the best.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Snaga wrote:
    Until you get a fault on the phone line and realise you have no service level agreement for the eircom copper...

Leased lines have their place, very very reliable and hefty SLA's in place. Your not just paying for your bandwidth.

1) You can get SLA's for business SDSL products from a few companies.

Remember a leased line is as likely to go down as a phone line, all an SLA does is guarantee how quickly it will be fixed.

2) You could always also get a wireless broadband (or even wireless leased line) as a backup to the DSL, giving you higher speeds, greater redundancy and all it a cost less then Eircom.

As an example from Magnet Business:
    ADSL2+ 4m/512k, no contention, €75 pm
    Wireless 1m/512k, 8:1 contention (fine as a backup), €129 pm

3) If you most have a leased line, there are other companies other then Eircom, that do leased lines with SLA's, far under cutting Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Just back from Paris, while taking the metro I noticed an interesting ad...

ADSL2+ Broadband (Not sure what speed)
    Cheap Calls Package
    HD Tv Subscription (200 Channels)

€29.99 per month

Makes you wonder........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

omg,some of you are complaining about 'only' having 1/2 mb bb,i cant get any type of bb!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

omg,some of you are complaining about 'only' having 1/2 mb bb,i cant get any type of bb!!!!!!
    I can't get BB either, but if the chosen one's are bitching hopefully this will put more pressure on the minister and comreg. Which will hopefully put an end to the digital divide in Ireland. Hopefully!

Me too although im hoping that I will have it soon . Id be glad with any type of BB to be honest. Ive been waiting years for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

well i shall be heading to collage in under 3 years,and im in a rural area,so im not hopeful OF EVER having broadband at home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

im living in Germany at the moment and it costs 30 euro a month for a 16 meg connection.. no limits...The upload speed im not exactly sure what is but i upload at around 200Kb/sec on bittorrent...
    The best part about it is i get the first 6 months for free... and the hardware was free also.... Although i have to pay line rental on top of that so after the first 6 months its gonna cost me 47 a month....

Advertisement