Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBand in France €15 per month for 20mB Speed ... Im Speechless!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

lol the one that im looking at is 47 for 2 MBS.........
    but its a standalone company[no phone offers]so no line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

revileandy wrote:
    Just back from Paris, while taking the metro I noticed an interesting ad...

ADSL2+ Broadband (Not sure what speed)
    Cheap Calls Package
    HD Tv Subscription (200 Channels)

€29.99 per month

Makes you wonder........

Probably 20-24 Mb net.
    Most of the big providers do that in France.
    I use Free.fr in France
    It really is very good

20-28Mb download
    1Mb upload
    No DL limits
    Static IP
    VoIP calls free to all of Europe + US, Canada, Australia...
    VoIP phone number
    Video over IP -> about 200 channels (thou theres a lot of rubbish too)
    TV box supports HD (not all channels in HD yet)
    Integrated hard drive for recording tv
    Watch TV on your PC using VLC media player
    Upload your DivX files to watch via the Freebox
    List goes on and on really....

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

BBC Money programme did a feature on BB in the UK.
    Takes a comparison with France

You can take a look here (20:14 onwards has the Freebox)
    Freebox on the Money Programme

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

lol the one that im looking at is 47 for 2 MBS.........
    but its a standalone company[no phone offers]so no line rental

You looking at the NET1 package??? You could also then get a ATA wireless router and pay Blueface.ie for all your calls day or night for Eur 99 per year . Its a good package.

is that all types o calls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

That is the exact reason they are so technologically advanced. While we sit back and take whatever we are given the French protest for the best.

Absolutely agree. This hole of a country is corrupt to the bones.You can bet if we did something similar this could be resolved extremely easily. It would simply be case of people doing their jobs..

Just as a sidenote:

In Hong Kong, as of April 2006 HKBN offers its customers internet access with speeds starting from 10 Mbps (19 USD a month) up to
    1000 Mbps (1 Gbit/s) (215 USD a month) via Fiber to the Building and Fiber to the Home. However the speed to non-Hong Kong destinations is capped to 20 Mbps. HKBN also provides FTTH plans for speeds up to BB100 (100/100 Mbps) and BB25 (25/25 Mbps), for approximately around US$25 and US$22 monthly. However, only

Major Internet Service Providers (ISPs) include:

PCCW Netvigator, with a 95% coverage area and providing internet access to 1.9 million users. ADSL connections at 3 Mbps and 6-8 Mbps are priced differently. Newly constructed apartments have ADSL2 connections, which have speeds up to 18M/1M. Business plans may have plans which speeds up to 1G/1G.
    HGC ADSL & VDSL broadband of speeds up to 100M/100M.
    NWT ADSL & VDSL broadband of speeds up to 10M/10M.
    HKBN CAT5e broadband of speeds up to 1G/1G.
    One Broadband ADSL broadband of speeds up to 8M/256K.
    I-cable Broadband Cable Broadband of speeds up to 8M/8M shared by one apartment.

A gigabyte connection.. incredible.How long do you think such technology would take to reach these shores ? Couple of decades if at all?

Also :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTTH

residential fibre service has been deployed in the 15th Arrondissement (borough) of Paris by Cité Fibre. Bandwidth allocated to each user is 100 Mbit/s with 30 Mbit/s reserved for internet traffic. The package includes Digital Television and VoIP Telephone services along with the above-mentioned unlimited internet starting at 49€ per month. The 15th arrondissement was probably selected for its comparatively high residential population.

The Cité Fibre website also contains an excellent comparison of residential fibre technology with existing cable and DSL/ADSL.

In June 2006, France Telecom/Orange SA launched a test program for FTTH in some arrondissements of Paris. It proposes up to 2,5 Gbit/s upstream and 1,2 Gbit/s downstream per 30 users using PON for 70€ a month.

In September 2006, Free announced a €30 a month quadruple play offer including 50 Mbit/s Internet connection, free phone calls to 28 countries and high-definition television.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'm gonna researh how much it would cost for this to be rolled out in the whole of Ireland county by county. Any ideas how I can begin?

is that all types o calls?

All calls to landlines in UK and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

I'm gonna researh how much it would cost for this to be rolled out in the whole of Ireland county by county. Any ideas how I can begin?
    Well I did find this article regarding improvements in technology cutting costs in half.
    http://www.fibre-systems.org/articles/news/8/7/1/1

That is FTTH technology *

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It would costs billions, possibly tens of billions.

When people talk about Fibre To The Home (FTTH) it is usually to high density apartment blocks. Even in advanced countries like France and Japan, fibre is only used in high density cities like Paris and Tokyo. Outside these cities they usually use DSL, but they do a much better job with it, often using ADSL2+, VDSL, etc at the top speed available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

spuddy's already given you all the down-low on the French provider free. I'm lucky enough to be living in one of those areas of France where there is what they call "degroupage total" and hence I'm soon going to have 28/1 DSL + TV & telephone for 30 euro a month. The kicker for me was the free calls to the states, Ireland, and the UK (among others) and that I can actually make the calls with my Nokia E61 since it supports SIP.

Screw you, eircom home plus !

okay.......i dont think its fair to even consider faster broadband over here till everyone can get broadband......ie rural people such as myself

Until the present government gets kicked out of power and Comreg are replaced with a new crowd that have balls this is not going to happen!!!

I hope that everyone on here that is 18 or over will get off their asses and vote the current government out next elections. If you dont bother to vote then you can lay in your own bed!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dellas wrote:
    Until the present government gets kicked out of power and Comreg are replaced with a new crowd that have balls this is not going to happen!!!

I hope that everyone on here that is 18 or over will get off their asses and vote the current government out next elections. If you dont bother to vote then you can lay in your own bed!!

And who is to say that the alternative parties would be any better. Have they given any indication on what they would do different? No.

Well this government has had more than enough time to do something and they have gotten too comfortable so they need a kick up the backside anyway!!!! But maybe your right , maybe this lazyness is installed in the culture.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

just came across that German O2 is offering 16MB/674kb for 55€ incl VOIP flatrate! and you don't need to have a landline from German Telecom.

damn nazis........

Advertisement