Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Faulty Cable Broadband

Options
  • 17-10-2006 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hello, about 3 weeks ago I purchased chorus broadband after being with eircom for over 3 years. It was the worst decision I have ever made, as eircoms service was 99% flawless.

1. It goes offline randomly for hours on end
    2. I'm on a 2mb connection, and the fastest speed I get is 30-80kbps (upload of 200k is always full speed though)
    3. Online gaming is virtually impossible with pings of 300-800 ms
    4. I've signed a contract and now I'm stuck on this terrible connection for a year

If you're thinking of getting chorus cbb, DON'T, unless you would like to experience 1-4 above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Chorus anything going faulty would not surprise me at all. Where are you located? I heard that some of the people in Limerick, on the trial service with Chorus, are getting barely dial-up speeds on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭8gbMadness

Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have Chorus BB in Naas. While it is not perfect, it is one of the better services that I have used and I have used a lot. Unfortunately Smart is not in my area :(

I've had Eircom, BT, IBB, Clearwire and Chorus. Chorus is by far the better one I've used. I don't count Eircom as they weren't really a choice for me. I just used them to get me out of a hole with their 3 month free trial.

When I say Chrous i better than BT, I'm including the whole package. When I ring Chorus, I'm not left holding for 40 minutes and my bills are all perfect. Chorus front line may not know much but I rarely have to ring them.

Having said that, it went down for exactley 15 minutes last night at 8pm. I rang them and they weren't aware of any scheduled outages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

I have Chorus in Cork City too, I don't know if others experience this, I only got it last month but for some reason as of last week occasionally when using Firefox/IE several pages wouldn't load at all, or only google search would work, very frustrating as while I couldn't surf the net I was getting 250Kb on torrents at the same time why would this happen?? Stopping torrents made absolutely no difference, how ever when it does work it's brilliant, when I have a few pages going, consistantly get 600-680kbps. I'm on the 6mb package, has anyone been charged for going over their download quote??

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

a friend in the know told me at the moment they dont have the ability to log how much you are downloading or uploading. thats at the moment. so theoritically you have an unlimited cap. but i would be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've had Chorus BB 3mb package for the last few weeks, I've noticed a few times when its gone offline for about half an hour, but gernerally speaking its reliable. Speeds hover between 200kb and 300kb, depends on the time of day I suppose. I'm in the ballyvolane area of Cork by the way. Might be tempted to try the 6mb package if thats possible...

Over a month into it and no change.

Staying connected to a server, in any program, is almost impossible as the connection keeps breaking.

Customer care sound like they just came out of a CE scheme, I mentioned about the ping, to which her reply, in exact words was, "Say What!?" I'd find more manners in a chip shop.

5 calls and all I got was basicly, "It's a mystery, but our hardy boys are on it.

This is the first service from which I have been left trully unsatisfied.

I may be writing a letter of complaint if it keeps up for much longer. Does anyone know where I can send it to, as well as the "Noobs" at Chorus?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Ok i have chorus 6meg package in Naas. When i got it first the speed was brill, never up to 6 meg standard always hovered around the 4 meg mark. but over the last month the sevice is gone to the dogs, (this is going by speedtest.ie, which i don't think they recommend because they are been routed in some different way, not entirely sure. ) Now i'm getting speeds of between 56.6 k and isdn .
    Rang them last week they logged the complaint and a service rep got back on to me within a few hours to say they fixed the problem , unfortunately i was away for the weekend so i couldn't confirm it. they then rang me on tuesday again to see if it was ok , but i still wasn't home. so i checked it this morning and it has got worse. I'll give tem 9/10 for getting back to me so soon and the foolow up call , but 0/10 for fixing the problem. another friend in Naas is having the same problem . apparently its the line out of naas thats overloaded according to sources , and this is being fixed very soon. To the previous poster in naas where abouts are you? i'm in the monread area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

To the previous poster in naas where abouts are you? i'm in the monread area.

I'm in Esmondale on the Kilcullin road. The far side of Naas to you. After many calls to Chorus, I finally got through to someone who knew what they were talking about. She couldn't understand why nobody ever rang me back before now. She saw that the person handling my problem has been "in" my account several times over the past while. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she said that she would ring me back within the hour after she talked to the network guys.

She rang me back 10 minutes later and said that she had been told that the issue had been resolved. I told her that it hadn't. Although my speed did increase to just over 1Mbps. I re-iterated that I was paying for upto 6Mbps.

I agreed with her that I only ran one test so to take contention into account I agreed to run a few tests over the next few days. 2 or 3 per day at different times. If speeds are still slow, then it's not normal contention but probably a fault somewhere or over contention.

I'll be ringing her back on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

same situation here in bishopstown, cork, used to get around 1mbps but in the last 3 weeks, its been about half that constantly with a few periods where the modem couldnt connect for a few hours.

• Advertisement

the last few days everything is hunky dory, full speed, no breakages or lost packets, things r lookin good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm in Cork, Ballyvolane area, and service was a little iffy for a period a few weeks ago, but for the last week or so it's all good. Solid 3mb connection.

Is it true that they don't (yet) have a system in place for monitoring the bandwidth usage of customers? Because to be honest I haven't a clue what I've been downloading...

well, its still absolute pants here in bishopstown,

IP - 83.167.241.xx
    Default Gateway 83.167.240.1
    First Hop on outbound = 83.167.245.1
    DHCP Server 83.167.224.100

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

as i 've said before friends have said they dont have anything yet to track your usage, but i would be weary of that.

UPDATE! Everything seems to be fine now. With the downtime of about 3 hours per month and a 2mb connection, they seem to have gotton their act together and i would reccomend it to everyone who can avail of it. ty chorus

not to be pessimistic, but just cause it works for you now, does not mean that everything is fixed OR that the issues wont return in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I am getting Chorus next week in Cork. Only got it as they can install it very quickly unlike eircon who said it will take about 4 weeks. I really hope it is up to scratch but if it is a s**t service then they can take their 12 month contract and shove it. I will not be paying for a full year subscription to a service they are not providing and no-one should. But, here's hoping it is decent speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ghost26ie wrote:
    as i 've said before friends have said they dont have anything yet to track your usage, but i would be weary of that.

Your friends are wrong.

Advertisement